Cyclist down in Camps Bay

VeloRacer

Too much happening in a confined space at the moment on that route. Had a close encounter this weekend with a myciti......... not so safe anymore.  RIP brother/sister!

My citi buses are a menance to pedestrians, cyclists and motorists alike.

I was hit by one while crossing the road at a traffic light on foot. the bus driver just floored it looked me in the eye and rammed me. I jumped out of the way but was hit by the front corner. I reported the issue and MyCiti never ever came back to me re the incident.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily a murder. Please all just own the road when riding in narrow streets.

oh so now its ok to own the road. When I mentioned this in a thread last year I was crucified.

Maybe the cycling community needs to decide what it wants before anyone will take it seriously

IF YOU'RE RIDING THROUGH THAT STRETCH, PLEASE OWN THE ROAD!!!! Ride in the middle of the lane and signal for vehicles to slow down! Rather have an irrate driver behind you, than you running out of road when some driver attempts to overtake you and another vehicle approaches from the front!

Feel so angry and helpless all at the same time about this! How many more before something tangible gets done?????

The rules are very clear, as cyclists we have 1.5m.  If the road isn't wide enough to allow a car to pass safely without infringing on the oncoming lane then they have to wait until it's safe to do so. 

I was hit by one while crossing the road at a traffic light on foot. the bus driver just floored it looked me in the eye and rammed me. I jumped out of the way but was hit by the front corner. I reported the issue and MyCiti never ever came back to me re the incident.

Someone at work lost his foot in an identical incident with myciti bus. Really sad.

Many of the drivers were in fact taxi drivers, a new bunch of taxi drivers are being "trained" for the new N2 route expansion.

oh so now its ok to own the road. When I mentioned this in a thread last year I was crucified.

Maybe the cycling community needs to decide what it wants before anyone will take it seriously

Wrong thread for above post.

The rules are very clear, as cyclists we have 1.5m. If the road isn't wide enough to allow a car to pass safely without infringing on the oncoming lane then they have to wait until it's safe to do so.

To cyclists it's clear....but do motorists know that....so maybe PPA can run a full page ad in the local papers explaining that..then lobby local enforcement to actually enforce these laws....on the 28th on that route the PPA is gonna have their Awareness ride...I'll be there...I hope it helps....my 2c...

The myciti buses are stremely dangerous on the road. They change lane with checking their mirrors. I was almost driven into a few times by various my citi busses.

The drivers tend to ride on the painted line sharing 2 lanes and makes it impossible to drive past or next to one of these busses.

They also pull out without looking and just expect traffic to come to a stop. Like most drivers out there, somehow they dont seem to realise that the bigger the vehicle, the longer it is gonna take to stop!

Anyway I can go on an on about my citi, but one thing about them I dont like, I sent them various video clips of how dangerous their drivers are and not even a response

None of my colleagues at work or my family knows about the 1m rule. The awareness campaign from PPA are only reaching cyclists and not the other road users.

I was cycling down a road with no shoulder the other day, keeping to left as i should, there were also a very badly maintained side walk next to the road. A motorist actually stopped next to me and shouted at me for not cycling on the side walk. 

My condolences to his family and loved ones. Always sad to hear of these happenings. Once again a bus and truck involved in the death of a cyclist. Our authorities need to clamp down on drivers of heavy vehicles who do not adhere to the rules of the road - at least 1 metre of space when passing a cyclist.