Cyclist down in Camps Bay

VeloRacer

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad...

Rode that road this morning and yesterday...

Just yesterday I was telling someone that whenever I wear my ppa 1.5m shirt (I still have the old one) cars generally go around me wider and are not skimming by me... I noticed it every time I wear that shirt. And I now make a point of wearing it whenever I know I'm going to be riding a heavy traffic piece of road on my ride.

We all share the road, being held up for a few seconds isn't worth a loss of a life... Slow down and be responsible out there.

None of my colleagues at work or my family knows about the 1m rule. The awareness campaign from PPA are only reaching cyclists and not the other road users.

I was cycling down a road with no shoulder the other day, keeping to left as i should, there were also a very badly maintained side walk next to the road. A motorist actually stopped next to me and shouted at me for not cycling on the side walk. 

The City needs to do more in that regard, educating all road users of the nececessary and expected behaviours.

None of my colleagues at work or my family knows about the 1m rule. The awareness campaign from PPA are only reaching cyclists and not the other road users.

I was cycling down a road with no shoulder the other day, keeping to left as i should, there were also a very badly maintained side walk next to the road. A motorist actually stopped next to me and shouted at me for not cycling on the side walk. 

again to most motorist, we are only seen as a hinderance,,

RIP terribly sad

I avoid roads at all costs. Doesn't matter how educated/aware drivers are in general...you can still count on a large proportion of them being IQ challenged...which translates into real danger to cyclists. Odds are kark...and so is the law of averages.

OK I only mountain bike, so easier said than done. Even preparing for the road Argus by doing MTB races.

So sad and heart wrenching to sit here and know that many peoples lives will now follow a completely different story than what they woke up to this morning.

Much strength and love to the family and friends during what will be a very trying time.

R I P fellow cyclist

It seems as if Mycity is run by the old taxi bosses.....

The are actually....It was the only way the CoCT could incorporate them into the IRT system without causing any uproar and protest against it from other taxi organisations.

This is also why we reporting on so many bad incidents by myciti bus drivers...they were also once taxi drivers given the opportunity to became  myciti bus drivers with perks of a normal paying job...hence some took the bait and went over.

The CoCT is the brewing its own monster in the near future...

The rules are very clear, as cyclists we have 1.5m.  If the road isn't wide enough to allow a car to pass safely without infringing on the oncoming lane then they have to wait until it's safe to do so. 

The law in the Western Cape is 1 metre. However a motorist may not overtake if it is not safe to do so. Unfortunately there is a mindset that the cyclist is in the way and a metre is too much.

To cyclists it's clear....but do motorists know that....so maybe PPA can run a full page ad in the local papers explaining that..then lobby local enforcement to actually enforce these laws....on the 28th on that route the PPA is gonna have their Awareness ride...I'll be there...I hope it helps....my 2c...

PPA is spending over R2 million in the period mid February to the Cycle Tour nationally on the stay wider of the rider #staywider safety campaign using celebrities who ride bicycles as spokespeople in print and on radio.

PPA has also launched the new lumo green stay wider of the rider cycling tops, bumper stickers and licence disk holders and will be putting up signs where they are allowed to.

There is also an Awareness Ride on February 28 from Camps Bay to Chappies.

Do your bit by buying and wearing the shirt, tweeting #staywider and use facebook telling your contacts to #staywider.

So sad...

Rode that road this morning and yesterday...

Just yesterday I was telling someone that whenever I wear my ppa 1.5m shirt (I still have the old one) cars generally go around me wider and are not skimming by me... I noticed it every time I wear that shirt. And I now make a point of wearing it whenever I know I'm going to be riding a heavy traffic piece of road on my ride.

We all share the road, being held up for a few seconds isn't worth a loss of a life... Slow down and be responsible out there.

There is no doubt that the shirts have an impact on motorists' behaviour. I repeat, buy and wear the new lumo green #staywider shirt and join the awareness ride on Feb 28.

The law in the Western Cape is 1 metre. However a motorist may not overtake if it is not safe to do so. Unfortunately there is a mindset that the cyclist is in the way and a metre is too much.

PPA is spending over R2 million in the period mid February to the Cycle Tour nationally on the stay wider of the rider #staywider safety campaign using celebrities who ride bicycles as spokespeople in print and on radio.

PPA has also launched the new lumo green stay wider of the rider cycling tops, bumper stickers and licence disk holders and will be putting up signs where they are allowed to.

There is also an Awareness Ride on February 28 from Camps Bay to Chappies.

Do your bit by buying and wearing the shirt, tweeting #staywider and use facebook telling your contacts to #staywider.

There is no doubt that the shirts have an impact on motorists' behaviour. I repeat, buy and wear the new lumo green #staywider shirt and join the awareness ride on Feb 28.

from what time and where in Camps Bay is the start

It is very sad, that drivers does not want to wait before overtaking cyclists...

I hate MyCiti bus drivers because they don't care and they just pass you so close..

I feel Golden Arrow drivers are better than MyCiti bus drivers..

Why must at least 5 cyclists die every year, when they train for the Argus Cycle Tour?