aQuelle Tour Durban 2015

ScottCM

Totally bumbed with licensing issue and lack of assistance and directionless advise however awesome race to all,OH and M7 next year friend I'll be ready... BIG lesson from AL front riders... strong climbers there. Some scary moments along the way with Lenasia Cycling Club rider all over the road taking out 2 riders and causing the pile up on the second last corner... besides that some killer climbs for sea level riding, happy with 2:55 1st time round... till next year

Hi Wayne,

First I'm happy that we all safe and that is the mean thing.

I'm not sure where did you see that I took two riders, and how can you say I was all over the place which it's unfair statement.

for 3/4 of the race I was always fully respecting other riders space and lines and I always ask for a space before taken a line, I don't plan a night before that I will take two riders, my aim is to enjoy myself and complete in the best way I can.

regarding the pile up at the second last corner, this is also unfair accusation

as I went through the second as corner alone without touching or blocking anyone, so it was a clear corner for me, what ever happened after that how this can be my fault, is this is fair. 

incidence happen and if I made one mistake this is dose not give you anyone else to sore at me with F***s, which I did not response back as matter of respect to myself as a rider, in all fairness I don't believe that I deserve that from you or anyone else.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a good ride in AL. Finished with the 2:39 bunch.

I also don't understand the licencing story, sounds like bull to me. I did have some satisfaction in beating the time set by the winner of VD which was the batch I was supposed to be in. I won't pay R350 for full racing licence. "A" bunch are strong and hammer down the whole way, I am more than happy to ride with them.

The other guys in AL may want to comment on the elite ladies front group we caught at about 50 kays to go, that then played cat and mouse with us until ten kays to go. I don't know what that is all about. They started ten minutes before us, then when we caught them they didn't want to let us pass and do our race, we may have found a couple of extra minutes if it wasn't for them. I think we pulled 2 minutes on them in the last ten kays after they finally let us go.

And that last corner is a joke with 70 guys in the bunch, I saw one or two guys went into the railings having not managed to get into single file in time for the corner.

I also don't understand the licencing story, sounds like bull to me. I did have some satisfaction in beating the time set by the winner of VD which was the batch I was supposed to be in. I won't pay R350 for full racing licence. "A" bunch are strong and hammer down the whole way, I am more than happy to ride with them.

The other guys in AL may want to comment on the elite ladies front group we caught at about 50 kays to go, that then played cat and mouse with us until ten kays to go. I don't know what that is all about. They started ten minutes before us, then when we caught them they didn't want to let us pass and do our race, we may have found a couple of extra minutes if it wasn't for them. I think we pulled 2 minutes on them in the last ten kays after they finally let us go.

And that last corner is a joke with 70 guys in the bunch, I saw one or two guys went into the railings having not managed to get into single file in time for the corner.

Licensed riding and open riding are two COMPLETELY different games. Like you said yourself, A group is one consistent pace. Vet riding is not, Its not about time in the licensed group. Its about tactic and hurting the other riders to drop them. The ladies weren't there to mess you around, The cat and mouse you speak of was most probably a few attacks.

You say that you wont pay for a full racing license, Then you wont have the chance to go race at SA champs.

I used to race open before I turned 30 and yes it was fun riding in a huge bunch at one pace then either crash at the end or sprint for the line, But having ridden Vets for only a few races now I will gladly get dropped half way after the top guys have simply just ridden me off the back of the group after some power attacks than ride open again.

Well done on your good time though.

The only serious blight on the organising of the race. They have really got to come up with another plan.

I'm sure it's bad enough coming into that first corner with a small group, but we came in with a big bunch all nervous and jockying for position. The guy on my left went into the barriers and knocked it over into the path of riders behind him, while the guy on my right hit the inside curb trying to avoid it (I snuck in through the middle of it all).

I think that was me mate!

Some idiot, who I Shouted long before that sharp turn to "PLEASE KEEP YOUR LINE"

Took me completely out & into the barriers....

Luckily I uncleated to keep my balance but I was in the barriers already...

I saw the guy who clipped the curb & fell hard over on the right...(Hope he is OK)

From a 3-4 lane road, completely squeezing the race into half a lane, blindly, must be seriously looked at..

Other than that, was an awesome experience for my 1st Aquelle Tour!

Licensed riding and open riding are two COMPLETELY different games. Like you said yourself, A group is one consistent pace. Vet riding is not, Its not about time in the licensed group. Its about tactic and hurting the other riders to drop them. The ladies weren't there to mess you around, The cat and mouse you speak of was most probably a few attacks.

You say that you wont pay for a full racing license, Then you wont have the chance to go race at SA champs.

I used to race open before I turned 30 and yes it was fun riding in a huge bunch at one pace then either crash at the end or sprint for the line, But having ridden Vets for only a few races now I will gladly get dropped half way after the top guys have simply just ridden me off the back of the group after some power attacks than ride open again.

Well done on your good time though.

" Licensed riding and open riding are two COMPLETELY different games." yes that is why I didn't ask for the prize money.

I have ridden Vets for 10 years, so I know about the differences between A and Vets. And you are right, it is sometimes easier to ride A batch. They do tend to hammer from the start, then settle into an even pace. Which the Vets, don't always do. I think if you are not good enough to get prize money, then it is nice to ride A batch.

I think you would have found the ladies strange. We would pass them, then as soon as all 70 got passed us, all nine riders would then pass us in a group on the inside of us, mostly. This happened about 7 times. Our bunch would then tap off and let them through, so as not to influence the ladies race. The stronger ladies in the bunch were using our bunch to try and cause problems for the weaker ladies in the group, which I understand is not allowed. 

And SA Champs, the thought of a 120 individual time trial does not attract me at this point.

I think that was me mate!

Some idiot, who I Shouted long before that sharp turn to "PLEASE KEEP YOUR LINE"

Took me completely out & into the barriers....

Luckily I uncleated to keep my balance but I was in the barriers already...

I saw the guy who clipped the curb & fell hard over on the right...(Hope he is OK)

From a 3-4 lane road, completely squeezing the race into half a lane, blindly, must be seriously looked at..

Other than that, was an awesome experience for my 1st Aquelle Tour!

Sorry to hear, I saw you didn't go down - good skills :)

Edit: I was most likely sitting on that guys wheel, about a bike length behind and just inside you when you clipped the barriers.

I wouldn't stress about the pace in BL .

Last year only the first 17 riders in BL managed to crack 3 hours.

I did a 3h20 in BL and came in 140 out of 260 in the batch.

As mentioned this year the field must be stronger as A batch was faster, in B Batch 52 riders rode sub 3.

As this was my first TD i didn't know what to expect from a racing point of view. The Pace in BL was fast for me as this was my first B batch start ever. Unfortunately my tactics were totally wrong as i started the climbs strongish and half way up got dropped on every climb.

This resulted in me plodding along till the next bunch came past for me to join and then get dropped again. Finished in 3.07.53 which i am more than happy with as this is my best time yet.

As for the race organisers, Well done :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The route is far more scenic and attractive than the 947, even though the constant hills make the 947 a "harder" race i don't see why your race can't challenge the 947 and Argus in size and status. The main difference in entries i would account for is title sponsorship advertising. The 947 has already been advertised on Highveld radio for a few months, i never heard one advert from East Coast Radio about your race. Now i now they are ridiculously expensive to advertise on, but why not get them involved as this will become free advertising and exposure. Seen as you don't make any money on the event and all profit goes to the Domino charity(Which in itself is an amazing thing to do), if the entries increase but the portion of the entry fees gets lessened slightly to give some sort of remuneration to ECR/5FM at the end of the day the charity will see more nett funding. Secondly, try get supersport or SABC to broadcast the event, but not only the elites, make it more like to comrades where you talk to the fun riders on the M4 and at water points. Just a thought.

I will definitely be back.

Thanks to all the marshals, the Metro , Durban municipality and everyone involved.

To those riders who had family members on the route cheering everyone on, Thank them for me please as this was a wonderful thing to see.

" Licensed riding and open riding are two COMPLETELY different games." yes that is why I didn't ask for the prize money.

I have ridden Vets for 10 years, so I know about the differences between A and Vets. And you are right, it is sometimes easier to ride A batch. They do tend to hammer from the start, then settle into an even pace. Which the Vets, don't always do. I think if you are not good enough to get prize money, then it is nice to ride A batch.

I think you would have found the ladies strange. We would pass them, then as soon as all 70 got passed us, all nine riders would then pass us in a group on the inside of us, mostly. This happened about 7 times. Our bunch would then tap off and let them through, so as not to influence the ladies race. The stronger ladies in the bunch were using our bunch to try and cause problems for the weaker ladies in the group, which I understand is not allowed.

And SA Champs, the thought of a 120 individual time trial does not attract me at this point.

Was there a commasaire(spelling?) because you right that isn't allowed and they should have been told to keep away from you.

Nothing wrong with money in open groups, Keeps guys motivated.

As mentioned this year the field must be stronger as A batch was faster, in B Batch 52 riders rode sub 3.

As this was my first TD i didn't know what to expect from a racing point of view. The Pace in BL was fast for me as this was my first B batch start ever. Unfortunately my tactics were totally wrong as i started the climbs strongish and half way up got dropped on every climb.

This resulted in me plodding along till the next bunch came past for me to join and then get dropped again. Finished in 3.07.53 which i am more than happy with as this is my best time yet.

The route is far more scenic and attractive than the 947, even though the constant hills make the 947 a "harder" race i don't see why your race can't challenge the 947 and Argus in size and status. The main difference in entries i would account for is title sponsorship advertising. The 947 has already been advertised on Highveld radio for a few months, i never heard one advert from East Coast Radio about your race. Now i now they are ridiculously expensive to advertise on, but why not get them involved as this will become free advertising and exposure. Seen as you don't make any money on the event and all profit goes to the Domino charity(Which in itself is an amazing thing to do), if the entries increase but the portion of the entry fees gets lessened slightly to give some sort of remuneration to ECR/5FM at the end of the day the charity will see more nett funding. Secondly, try get supersport or SABC to broadcast the event, but not only the elites, make it more like to comrades where you talk to the fun riders on the M4 and at water points. Just a thought.

Thanks to all the marshals, the Metro , Durban municipality and everyone involved.

To those riders who had family members on the route cheering everyone on, Thank them for me please as this was a wonderful thing to see.

The other challenge was clashes with other big events: Joberg2C and the Panorama Tour were happening on the same weekend.

Had a good ride in AL, stayed with the second bunch up until about 80km, then cramped and had to get off my bike. Still managed a 2:58, which I am happy with considering I havent been on my bike since Argus.

Thankful to Cadence Langham for getting me somewhat prepped :-).

Great day out though!!!

The race should just carry on up to Somptseu Road, after the Magistrate's Courts then right and right again onto NMR, under Argyle Rd and up to the finish line.  Will be much safer and also come in closer to the 105km the race is meant to be.

This race is not the only race that donates 100% of the profits to charity, as they proudly claimed before prize giving. I know of a number of races that do so.

Can't speak for SABC, but with Supersport the organisers have to pay to get coverage. And pay, I don't mean a few R1000, more like a few lot of R10K's. That includes the video on the day, the preparation of the highlights and the uploading in their format for broadcasting. Supersport are the ones that want coverage of the Elite (men and woman) but the organisers need to stand up and also push for the Vets/Fun riders too.

Advertising on the radio? Also, a few 10's of thousands of rands. WRT the 947, they are title sponsors (can't remember if they own the event or just the name), so advertising their event is a no-brainer. I know for the event I'm associated with, we were wanting to advertise on a number of GP-based stations. K@k en betaal! Add all this up, and you soon see the profits reducing to a point where it doesn't become viable anymore.

As you mentioned, "increasing the number of entries" is the key point but it doesn't help to have another big road race on the same weekend - it dilutes the field.

Off-topic, sort of...

And so far, no-one has explained what the problem was with the licensing. They didn't even ask me for my licence when collecting my number. Hope it wasn't some confusion between racing licence and CSA membership. 

Who took out two riders then Bru ?

did you watch the last Europe race, there was one accidence were more than 25 riders went down, some with injures some not, so those kind of incidence happen even on a professional level.

I don't think they will act the way some of South African riders do, it's really sad for an adult to use such an abusive language and give themselves the right to think they are a superior to other.

I don't remember I took two riders, it's really unfair statement for you to say, myself and another rider we touched and it was one of those scary moment and moved on, the 2nd rider came next to me and whatever happen we can not revers it again and his seat got broking which I apologized to him and I really feel bad for what happened.

I also got blamed for the 2nd last corner pile up which also was unfair statement, as I went through the corner I was totally alone and it was a clear corner for me, only after I went through I believe some people touched and it caused the pile up so how can I be blamed for that you tell me, as some people mentioned on this forum that the 2nd last corner the organizer they the one to be blamed for it, as it's very bad corner when more than 50 riders coming at the same time.

I hope we can now move on and respect one another.

did you watch the last Europe race, there was one accidence were more than 25 riders went down, some with injures some not, so those kind of incidence happen even on a professional level.

I don't think they will act the way some of South African riders do, it's really sad for an adult to use such an abusive language and give themselves the right to think they are a superior to other riders.

I don't remember I took two riders, it's really unfair statement for you to say, myself and another rider we touched and it was one of those scary moment and moved on, the 2nd rider came next to me and whatever happen we can not revers it again and his seat got broking which I apologized to him and I really feel bad for what happened.

I also got blamed for the 2nd last corner pile up which also was unfair statement, as I went through the corner I was totally alone and it was a clear corner for me, only after I went through I believe some people touched and it caused the pile up so how can I be blamed for that you tell me, as some people mentioned on this forum that the 2nd last corner the organizer they the one to be blamed for, as it's very bad corner when more than 50 riders coming at the same time.

I hope we can now move on and respect one another.

Appology accepted.

I do however feel you need to look inwardly and admit fault.

I also feel you should take this as one of those lessons in life and use it to improve your riding skills.

You were sketchy for most of the ride and that was the reason for the abuse.

You also need to remember that your action inpact others around you.

I have been racing/riding bikes for 28 years and fully understand that these are the risks we take. 

I take Sundays race as one of those unfortunate days on the bike and move on, but I would really highly recomend that you hone your bunch riding skills and learn from the weekends race. 

Its all about life lessons and what we can learn from them.

You are fairly strong but lack skill, learn that skill and you will see your riding improve and people will tend not to be so abusive towards you.

What is done is done, I dont hold anything against you, but please learn form what happened over the weekend and improve yourself.

No hard feelings man.. 

Was there a commasaire(spelling?) because you right that isn't allowed and they should have been told to keep away from you.

Nothing wrong with money in open groups, Keeps guys motivated.

Hi LWB, yes there was a commissaire. I suppose he used his judgment. So maybe because the two bunches remained separate most of the time, he let things alone.The situation luckily resolved itself, it would been a mess if we stayed together until the end and it would have been impossible for our bunch not to have influenced the outcome of the ladies race, which is not right.

I agree with the prizes for open bunches, maybe first, second and third for A batch would be lekker. Some of the guys are super strong and deserve recognition.

Archived