Garmin Fenix 3

StevieL

Why not get the 735XT which has HR and is a little cheaper.  Does pretty much the same as the F3 for what you need.

Curious to know what recorded info you expect to get/analyse from doing stretching and strength exercises?  For me that is my time to relax and not have to worry about mining data and go enjoy based on feel.

VO2 etc is related to cardio and not so much so to the other exercises you mention.  Majority of the watches use seems to be for cycling, so may well be better to look at the Edge 520.

I have the F3 (non HR) for the last 9 months, it is permanently on my wrist as I train twice a day as a triathlete/cyclist.  Have never felt the need to upgrade to the HR version, nice to have but not needed.

Think you are just trying to justify the expense for something you want to have rather than need to have!!

You right, this is very much a want vs need battle that I am in right now. I want something to start measuring my rides so that I can start improving a little bit and setting some goals. The fenix has everything and more that I will need but probably won't use all it's functionality but if there was ever a time to get one, it's soon or else it probably won't come around again.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You right, this is very much a want vs need battle that I am in right now. I want something to start measuring my rides so that I can start improving a little bit and setting some goals. The fenix has everything and more that I will need but probably won't use all it's functionality but if there was ever a time to get one, it's soon or else it probably won't come around again.

Will you not have food in your house if you buy it?

Yes - don't buy it

No - Buy it, you wont be sorry ;)

Get one, it is an awesome watch. Life is short, spoil yourself every now and again! At first I was a little surprised by how big it is, and thought I would bump and scratch it all the time. But I haven't scratched it in 3 months now and I don't even notice it on my arm anymore (ok I lie, I stare at it a lot every day! :clap: )

I have the normal F3, not the HR. If you guy for the Fenix3 HR then maybe consider getting the HR strap extra if you want to put the watch on your handlebars. I put mine on the bars when I'm on the trainer. If I'm on my mtb I keep it on the wrist. 

I'm very happy with my Garmin Tactix Bravo (Fenix 3).

I use this great tool for mountain biking and running.

Also would recommend getting the HR Strap.

I have the Fenix 3 and absolutely love it. First "heart rate" monitor watch I've had that does everything else so well. There are guys in my office that have bought them that don't even run or cycle!

However, have a look at this as a cheaper option. Still does a heck of a lot and will leave a couple of grand in your pocket.

http://shop.navworld.co.za/forerunner-235.html

Please don't make the mistake and buy something else for the wrong reasons. You'll cry in 6 months time and end up spending the money anyway. Trust me on this, I a repeated pro on this mistake. I "settle" and then regret it so much I end up buying what I actually wanted in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the difference between the Grey, Silver and Sapphire? Is it just the bevel or are there more functions?

(My edge is toast and I've been running more than cycling lately, so thinking of what to plan on getting next...)

What's the difference between the Grey, Silver and Sapphire? Is it just the bevel or are there more functions?

(My edge is toast and I've been running more than cycling lately, so thinking of what to plan on getting next...)

Silver is rumored not to scratch as easy, or at least that it's less noticeable.

And I think the silver comes with the leather and rubber straps - at least mine did.

Silver is rumored not to scratch as easy, or at least that it's less noticeable.

And I think the silver comes with the leather and rubber straps - at least mine did.

The grey and silver versions refer to bezel colour, the silver just doesn't show scratches on the bevel as much. The Sapphire refers to the glass which is more scratch resistant than the normal version. You get both the grey and silver versions with sapphire glass.

I really like the idea of the HR version as you can check your heat rate anytime (unless you wear a chest strap all day).

I also think a chest strap would annoy me more than anything and im no pro athlete so don't need to the beat accuracy as long as its in the ballpark.

I really like the idea of the HR version as you can check your heat rate anytime (unless you wear a chest strap all day).

I also think a chest strap would annoy me more than anything and im no pro athlete so don't need to the beat accuracy as long as its in the ballpark.

Makes sence. I have just been reading many complaints that the hr does not always read and that you have to wear it far up your wrist for it to work properly.

Makes sence. I have just been reading many complaints that the hr does not always read and that you have to wear it far up your wrist for it to work properly.

Latest firmware made it quite stable and i was one of the big complainers .

Having the unit further up the wrist would probably irritate me more than using a chest strap during exercise; but I like the idea of having access to HR monitoring during/after sleep