Statement regarding alternative routes for 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

I think the concern is that Chappies may be destabilized due to the burning of vegetation and damage to catch nets and stuff. Ou Kaapse should have no such concerns but it wont be very pretty over there

at this point in time that concern is not that section of Chapmans Peak as the fire is not burning where the catch fencing is. IF they can get the Noordhaven fire under control then the south slope of Chappies is safe.

The big concerns is the clean up operations and has the tarmac been damaged as these are harder to repair in a few days.

At this stage I fee there is a good chance we will ride on the original planned route

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternative route could take us back to fish hoek and back via boyes drive and M3 home

I think this would be the most likely, though I hope it will be the normal route.

IF they can get the Noordhaven fire under control then the south slope of Chappies is safe.

I can see the south slope from work, and it's about 60% burnt and still burning.  They're not putting it out now as there's obviously more important places to be looking after at the moment.  My wife is in Noordhoek and says that it's coming lower all the time.

I think this would be the most likely, though I hope it will be the normal route.

That would mean two way traffic between Fish Hoek and Kalk Bay.  That would never work.

Kudos for CTCT having contingencies in place. I would be concerned if they were saying that everything is fine and we are riding the original route. Lets see on Wednesday what they say. 

Kudos for CTCT having contingencies in place. I would be concerned if they were saying that everything is fine and we are riding the original route. Lets see on Wednesday what they say. 

What if they hold the alternative in Stellies.  :thumbdown:   No fires here. :ph34r:

Edited by Moridin

If you ride fast enough the flames won`t hurt you, lets make this a feature rather than a problem this can be lots of fun! :ph34r:

No one has said anything about the Muizenberg road works.

It gets very narrow as the road zips left and right between the excavations on either side.

Agree man! I rode through there on Saturday and the road has level changes (like manhole covers 10cm above the road surface) and only one lane (3m max) going between Muizenberg and St James - the other half is still sand and not even ready for tarmac

There is also rain forecast for this week. Lets all do the rain dance :)

rain is not good for Chappies though. I can with certain say that if it rains, we won't go over Chappies.

They can change course, we can cycle along N1 to Durbanville, turn left to Vissershoek, then left at Tableview and finish at top of Kloof Neck or Signal Hill... Oops! Exciting!

it's raining Wednesday morning.... but I sincerely hope the fire have been put out by then....

Just got back from a cape point loop with my buddy... all I can say is our mouths are dry with a wierd lingering dryness and aftertaste, lungs feel dry and there is smoke everywhere.

Our beautiful mountains are burning but hopefully the rain doesn't wash the soil away, would like to ride the planned route.

post-41725-0-76250100-1425309835_thumb.jpg

I just heard on the radio, "motorists are asked to avoid Chapman's Peak, Ou Kaapse Weg and Boyes Drive..."

Hell! Only one road in and out of the South then, and that one under construction.

That's massive fire - thanks to all the fire departments and volunteers doing amazing work.