Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Has anyone thought about what Edinburgh Drive descent - direction Cape Town - is going to be like?

That's a mean gradient with no curves to slow you down, and a nice little S-bend at the bottom.

All in all, a challenging bit of road that 99% of us have absolutely no experience riding.

I know where I'd park the ambulances...

That stretch was resurfaced very recently and is as smooth as a babys bum. If you make sure you miss the manhole covers, you can fly down there. But be careful anyway because 35000 other madmen will try to do the same thing.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That stretch was resurfaced very recently and is as smooth as a babys bum. If you make sure you miss the manhole covers, you can fly down there. But be careful anyway because 35000 other madmen will try to do the same thing.

Was the route the detour years followed when Chappies was out. No major issues there then. Going back up Hospital Bend is going to surprise everyone...

My dad always says it takes a great man to admit his mistakes so yap, I should have taken the time to read on...On my part, I'm terribly dissapointed about Sunday's race but, having spent thousands on my fouvourite annual thing EVER, I will remain positive and enjoy every moment of this (still) extraordinary experience. 

Deal on the drink, but first round's on me :thumbup:

what is your start time ?

Was the route the detour years followed when Chappies was out. No major issues there then. Going back up Hospital Bend is going to surprise everyone...

I think ALOT of people are underestimating how tough the ride back is going to be. The back of wynberg hill, up past kirstenbosch which kinda has little up hill roller drags till UCT and the hospital bend. People are going to be suprised. And if they start at 10 and have till 13H00 to finish,,, that is going to b fun for the back markers!

But then maybe the south easter might blow us back.

The route might be shorter, but the embarrassment might be bigger if you do not complete it within the allocated time. 

I think ALOT of people are underestimating how tough the ride back is going to be. The back of wynberg hill, up past kirstenbosch which kinda has little up hill roller drags till UCT and the hospital bend. People are going to be suprised. And if they start at 10 and have till 13H00 to finish,,, that is going to b fun for the back markers!

But then maybe the south easter might blow us back.

The hills back are a real issue. I'd even say it's tougher than the original route. shorter distance but approx the same climbing...

The hills back are a real issue. I'd even say it's tougher than the original route. shorter distance but approx the same climbing...

But the legs will be fresher and peeps have trained for 109kms. ..it will be hard...and easier. ..????????????

How many climbing meters exactly? Does anyone know?

I got 780m when plotting it on strava...How accurate that is, im not sure

Edit: will be about 520m and 43km. Original route is 1100m. Looked at Garmon download of last year to end of blue route and back.

Edited by Thor Buttox

The hills are not bad at all

Hospital bend is easy and fairly short

My son did his first Argus at 11 years on the last detour and managed quite easily and that was after the full distance