Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

This is not ideal. There are no ideal options or choices.

Even an alternate route to do 100km elsewhere will not be the Argus. You can not compare it. Its not the same. Its lose, lose for everyone. 

Best one can do is to accept it an move on - as far as i am concerned the only people benefiting here is the CTCT Trust. Monies paid, no refunds. 32 000 people x R 400 (Cant remember the actual amount) =  R 12 800 000  

If they make a substantial (like in at least 6 millions) contribution to some charity ill be happy.

Its closer to 10 million that they pay out to charity EVERY year.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing the second lap now cancelled I hope they can refund the R400.

Or it can go to a worthy charity/cause, I just want to know where its going

Maybe you should start by counting to 35000.. That's why you can't ride a second lap. There won't be space, that's why.

So everyone will be doing a second lap, who knew

Cool story Bro, please tell it again

Me and my 3 friends are going to have a blast come raceday. 2 of them are newbies and this will be their first CTCT. We are so looking forward and cant wait 47km or 109km we dont care we're just wanna be in the spirit of Cape Town with like minded cyclists having a good time and remembering that it couldve been even worse. Big Ups to all involved, firemen, volunteers, organisers just everyone really.   

The logic of this and other similar posts doesn't stack up. Riders go in one end of the pipe and come out the other. This year the pipe is shorter but the rate of feed into the pipe is identical.

As you also said, once is the pipe some will now race harder, some will ride slower but probably overall the average speed will be the same.

Although this is my first CTCT, my understanding is that congestion happens specifically where the road surface narrows and there are a number of well known spots on the CTCT.

Logic points to exactly the same congestion as in previous years.

Not exactly. The further the race goes the further it gets "stretched out" because the faster riders that started first pull away from the slower ones that started later. After 25 km the race is still much "denser"  than it will be after 75 km. Any sharp turn or narrow section at 25 km will cause much more congestion than after 75 km. That's my 2c worth of logic anyway. (It is clearly demonstrated in mountain bike races with bits of single track.) 

Edited by DJR

What about all the riders that have booked accommodation close enough to ride to the start.   

Also need to take into account logistics of parking.  Lots of people catch the trains, my citi busses or cycle to the start so less cars. 

perhaps you missed the sarcasm font in my post.

Sorry, didn't miss your sarcasm, just replied to the wrong post.

Or it can go to a worthy charity/cause, I just want to know where its going

So everyone will be doing a second lap, who knew

Cool story Bro, please tell it again

Would prefer the choice of the refund or donation. Have already made donations etc. Times are tight at the moment and could do with the $$. Baby on the way, that's a lot of diapers :P

Am I upset?? Sure I am!!

Am I angry?? NO

I booked my flights before entries opened in September, I sat online for ages struggling to get an entry, I paid for my accommodation in October last year and my bike probably arrives in Cape Town today. This is my 10th Argus/Cape Cycle Tour and I am definitely going to ride. I have trained hard but the training can carry into the Sani and all other events, great base!!

I cannot fathom what it must be like to be evacuated out of your house in the middle of the night because there is a chance it will burn down. What do you take? What goes through your mind? 

I rode the windy one in 2008 and will ride the short one in 2015. 

Am I grateful?? You bet I am!!! If this fire had broken out one week later, we all would have been turned back when we arrived at the start. 

Well done Dave Bellairs, Helen Zille, the firefighters and the rest of the organising committee and Western Cape people

My biggest problem with the change is that I'll be finished way before the beer tent opens.

start later, problem solved :)

as far as i know substitutions have already closed, so anyone riding with someone elses entry still face disciplinary action, and so does the rider that allowed someone else to ride with his number. 

You make a good point, but with everything going on and the trust touting this as a "solidarity" ride... I cant see them taking any action

2. If you still cannot see what I am getting at, then  meet me at the start behind the bike shed where we can talk about why I am so disappointed .

Fixed.

im looking for an entry for a friend... :thumbup: if anyone isnt going

Substitutions closed a fee weeks back. Riding with someone else's number will get the illegal rider and the guy who's number it is banned from the event.

Even in the shorter Argus the rules still apply, so don't try and reseed yourself higher, jump in illegally after hospital bend or do that second lap (yes you paid for it, I know).

The start chutes are going to be chaos as things stand right now, lets try and make the marshals' lives a bit easier by sticking to the rules.

With all the predictions nobody expected this! LOL

This event is going to have a major cash injection now. 

They can at least use that cash and give some back to the people who entered like give everybody a PPA Stay Wider Cycle top. 

Would prefer the choice of the refund or donation. Have already made donations etc. Times are tight at the moment and could do with the $$. Baby on the way, that's a lot of diapers :P

Congratulations on the baby !

Tbh I'm going to cheer from the sidelines. Told the OH that I'll be sitting this one out as soon as the fire got this large. Never was going to be the same and those hills will be KILLER for me given my fitness atm. Plus as soon as I told her I wasn't doing it, she booked a client meeting and a shoot :)

So ill be there at the top of Wynberg hill with a few cold ones,wwaiting to hand them out. Then I'll probably be assessing the damage to the trails in tokai.

let me know, i could join you for tokai

After the race, through to town (it'll be relatively quiet) up buitengracht and Kloofnek and then left up the road to table mountain cableway (Tafelberg road) to the end, then back down and up Signal Hill Road on the other side of Kloofnek. Back down, then hook a right and then right again (eeffectively a 180) and down the Glen towards camps bay. Left at the stop, then down into camps bay. Left at the next stop and continue up to the top of suikerbossie, and down onto hout bay. Then around, back up suikerbossie and through camps bay, hugging the coastline all the way back to the finish area. Should add some pretty good riding for you.

I was gonna say why didnt they make the route similar to this, after return on the m3, then take dewaal drive, up kloofnek, towards houtbay and back along the coast to the finish.

Surely that could work.