Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

hey Slowman!  You've always been a sound, reasonalble voice of reason... amids some very heated debates ...this time?...eish!  Me thinks you are emotional and haven't thought it through properly? 

Do you not for one minute think that the tour organisers would have done EVERYTHING within their powers to save the race? KNOWING what is at stake? 

What would your response have been if they simply called it off? That would have been a "cop out"...

It's only a timed funride at best, in any event... :ph34r:

Slowbee has already been hit over the head with a frying pan.. he is seeing clearer now  :w00t:

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

daveM, my comments are beyond belief, simply because I expected so much more of the cycle trust, and just feel totally let down. I expected them to show what a world class organisation they are. Perhaps I am disapointed because I never expected them to shorten the route as some form of  a compromise and then try sell it as a solidarity ride.

*as an aside, and not discounting multiple personalities, if I was also reading my posts without being in my head, I would say the same things as you to me*

Me thinks it not so much the tour trust as the greater powers to be that has "forced" the organisers into this "cop out"...when emergency services speaks - you HAVE to listen!!

Stresses like fighting fires ... ?

“Don’t judge someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes”

If those shoes are Crocs they can keep em. I would rather walk barefoot on hot coals.

My first sub 3 is now in grasp!

And I only started "training" on monday morning and stopped on tuesday morning.

So I'm gonna show u all its possible to do a sub 3 without any training!!

whohooo! 

:)

I better hope the lower the pricing next year, else they proof themselves of GELD WOLWE.

That is exactly what I thought. You will now have thousands of cyclists on various roads after the event.. More bad news for emergency workers

Essentially cyclist and spectators whou would have spend 5-6 hours along the route... are now finished in 2 hours max....

NOT TO MENTION - there will be basically one continious group....imagaine all the crossed wheels, bumping into each other,  and related crashes that will ensue....I think it will be a VERY different ride this year

Slowbee has already been hit over the head with a frying pan.. he is seeing clearer now  :w00t:

JA, i gathered!  I'm many, many pages behind!! (saw his disclaimer)...not too worry ...he'll bounce back!

Have you ever had a flight grounded because of awful weather, been stuck on a bus for hours because of icy roads, had to add hours onto a trip because of rockslides? *Insert your own disaster here* Things like these - the unexpected, the uncontrollable - while disappointing, often bring out the best in people.

I'd ride on Sunday.

I started this thread determined to read all 300 odd comments before posting, but I will admit that I have failed miserably. That said, the growing anger and resentment I have towards the majority of the people posting here has already grown to the point that any further reading will only result in me losing my own cool, which will ultimately not aid anyone's case.

To all the people who are bitching and moaning about their precious cycling race being shortened - You are disgusting, pathetic, selfish w@nkers who obviously have ZERO regard for what the Cape Peninsula and its inhabitants have been through in the last few days.

If you had even taken the time to read the press release, rather than **** your pants about your damn seeding, you would realise that the organisers had little alternative - both Chappies and Ou Kaapse weg were not an option. Constantia Nek you say? Same problem!

If you are one of the individuals who read the release, but then threw a tantrum because of the fact that there are OTHER ROADS to ride on - I have one question - ARE YOU THAT STUPID?

DO you really think that your precious day out in the saddle is reason enough to shut down National Roads, Tourist Attractions and/or cut off CT from other areas by jamming 35000 bicycles onto a road out of town? Did you even pause to consider the logistics and infrastructure involved in doing something like that!! And before you throw out the fact that they already close a major road for the day, remember to count yourself lucky that we still get that privilege. And DON'T assume that you can abuse it and claim ownership of any road you now please. That attitude epitomises everything that is wrong with cyclists - im guessing the same people who cried over this are the ones that ride 3 abreast and jump robots.

THANK YOU to those of you that are getting behind this race, and supporting the organisers, despite the disappointment. YOU are the type of people who we want in our city and our sport.

Those of you who have said you not coming anymore, or wont race on principle, THANK YOU for not disgracing us with your presence.

For those of you moaning about money - i'm sorry. I know there is a financial burden here. Hopefully, as some people have mentioned, the Trust will be able to pass some sort of financial assistance on to the fire effort. And hopefully there may be an option for you guys to get a discount or something next year.

But when you consider financial burden - before throwing too many toys out the cot, please remember the millions of rands of damage caused by these fires. Yes, there is insurance in some cases. But not all. The aircraft waterbombing the fires have already racked up expenses of over 2 million rand. I hate to think of the expenses that the SPCA will endure as the search for and try to rehabilitate injured wildlife.

The VOLUNTEER firefighters don't get paid - but that doesn't mean their organisations run for free!

I started this post angry yet I am now nothing more than disappointed. I am actually shocked that there are such selfish people in this world.

I really hope i'm not on the start line on sunday. I really do. Because I am sitting glued to my phone waiting for the moment the SPCA gets the go ahead to enter the fire zone and start searching for injured wildlife. They will need volunteers. And i would much rather share the mountain with people looking to good and animals that may need help, than share the road with a bunch of self serving individuals who will spend 47km moaning about their seeding or the cost of their T-shirt.

it's not as if the fire is a one off.. It happens yearly on various scales.. And this "precious " (sarcasm) cycle race brings in massive amounts of money into cape town that helps your communities..

So closing off one or two roads for a few hours for one, day is acceptable.. except for selfish people like you I'm angry at your ignorance..

The fire will be back next year and I hope the guy with the thatch roof is, a bit wiser

And the circle of life.. The injured animals are food for other animals that are starving.. So go ride mate..

Edited by Sven137

I think they should have just canned it, there is going to be chaos out there with guys sprinting the "full" distance, others reseeding themselves to ride with mates, others doing a slow ride for solidarity, two and three lappers etc...everyone that I speak to seems to have a different idea for Sunday.

To cram 35 000 riders onto 47 km of road is a bad idea. I think the freeway is going to be a war zone with crashes. I wont be riding, rather go for a long run. I  just wish that some of my entry fee could be transferred to the volunteer wildfire services

How much chaos would this be in comparison to 35 000 cyclists who would try and do a ride of their own without any form of cohesion whatsoever? Have you seen what 1 000 cyclists with their own ideas on a stretch of road look like???? Without any marshals or road closures? Whilst emergency services are still trying to get to some areas and probably be putting out fires? Ja, cancelling the event would have been so much better...

Most homes and businesses are insured.. But to trivialise the argus is, sad the argus brings millions of randsI into the Cape economy.. So if the wine farm burnt to the ground the owners would get paid out by the insurers ..

But the fallout from the cycle race disaster could take longer to recover from..

They could have added marine drive up to table view onto the route.. It can be closed with no real problems as they have koeberg Road and the N7 to service these suburbs

Sven, absolute bolloks!! Please reread you statement and THINK about it...

{shakin head in disbelief!!}

Airial footage is going to be amazing, one looooong stream of cyclists. Chatted to a few guys that had entered, all sympathetic, those that were using the race built in as part of a holiday are going ahead, others doing it as a hit and run will cut their costs and cancel. As for refund it has not entered their heads as the race is held for charity.

pssst, do not tell anybody, but you could ride the R44 from Strand to Betty's bay, all along the mountain and sea as well ..

AND you can have it ALL to yourself!!  everyone s'posed to be at the "Argust"...

but ssshhh...it's a  secret... :ph34r: :ph34r:

Sven, absolute bolloks!! Please reread you statement and THINK about it...

{shakin head in disbelief!!}

Don't you have fire insurance for your business? I do and if it burns I make a lot of money

I know I was gonna look like an idiot with slicks on my mtb, but now Im going to look like a d!ck sporting my slicks for 47km. Better put back the tubeless and crossmarks. More money wasted

Duuuuude! I am doing the event on my Crossmarks...I even did a 120kay training ride around the peninsula three weeks ago on those puppies. No problems at all... :thumbup:

Have you ever had a flight grounded because of awful weather, been stuck on a bus for hours because of icy roads, had to add hours onto a trip because of rockslides? *Insert your own disaster here* Things like these - the unexpected, the uncontrollable - while disappointing, often bring out the best in people.

I'd ride on Sunday.

Or the worst as is displayed here and elsewhere - I am disappoint with the reactions of some is all I can say sadly  :whistling: