Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

With all the predictions nobody expected this! LOL

This event is going to have a major cash injection now.

They can at least use that cash and give some back to the people who entered like give everybody a PPA Stay Wider Cycle top.

Road closures were paid up in advance, most of the water points (Simonstown, Smitswinkel, Chappies, Suikerbossie) are all sponsored. The saving on the shorter route is negligible. Besides, do you think that they have 35000 cycling tops lying around in a storeroom, and imagine the unhappiness if they don't have any XXL's left when I get there?

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I agree. why didn't they think of that. I think you should contact them with your brilliant idea. I mean the logistics for 35000 cyclist can't be that difficult to transfer to another venue.

no wonder people think cyclists are boxes.

No need to be catty. A question was asked, answer it like an adult.

Substitutions closed a fee weeks back. Riding with someone else's number will get the illegal rider and the guy who's number it is banned from the event.

Even in the shorter Argus the rules still apply, so don't try and reseed yourself higher, jump in illegally after hospital bend or do that second lap (yes you paid for it, I know).

The start chutes are going to be chaos as things stand right now, lets try and make the marshals' lives a bit easier by sticking to the rules.

Why will it be chaos?

Nothing has changed at the start

Fixed.

nooit bro - not that kinda guy.....wait that sounds dodgy.

I think if you don't read all the posts I made, I would most likely have said the same things as DaveM and CaneRat.

I even said it myself. I would have called me names had I read my posts but not been in my head.

The jist of what I was saying was missed and I think you (didnt know N road needed different permission to local roads) and Tube's post (community buy in) put some perspective on the one side. The other - I will wait on till I can get my head round it properly.

But to sum up, I am really really happy to be riding. But my anger/disappointment come from expecting more of the organisers and this great city we live in. Maybe those expectations were to high. 

*have to be carefull, the wife is watching and she has threatened to make me ride the mountain bike on the tar...

No need to be catty. A question was asked, answer it like an adult.

a stupid question doesn't deserve a serious answer.

pretty sick of all the inconsiderate d!cks on this thread whose precious little fun ride is more important than the loss and misery of hundreds of fire affected people.

I was gonna say why didnt they make the route similar to this, after return on the m3, then take dewaal drive, up kloofnek, towards houtbay and back along the coast to the finish.

Surely that could work.

because that road is one of the main ER service access routes, and would create havoc for most CB / town residents if closed... Not to mention cut off access to Table Mountain, which means no tourists up the cable car...

I was gonna say why didnt they make the route similar to this, after return on the m3, then take dewaal drive, up kloofnek, towards houtbay and back along the coast to the finish.

Surely that could work.

Eddy in chatting to Tubehunter and a frying pan holding wife it could most likely work - but you have to ask a few questions.

Why would you want to do this? Why would you want to add a few km's on just to have a few extra km's.

Then there is the issue of the people living in those areas not being used to full road closures. Moving all the cars of the road etc etc. They would not tolerate it and most likely interfere with a few people. So the safety aspect comes into play. Even on the existing route you still get a few folk (spectators and cars) pushing the luck.

Edit* and what mayhem said

Surely that could work.

and shut the cable car down for the whole day? also remember to put lots of padding on those hairpins down kloofnek towards Victoria Road and pull some medics and rescue services from the fire areas to collect the maimed bodies at the bottom. Also tell the fire fighters that needs access from Cape Town to go around the long way if they are needed again. 

pretty sick of all the inconsiderate d!cks on this thread whose precious little fun ride is more important than the loss and misery of hundreds of fire affected people.

Then I presume you will not be riding ?

Guest Smimby

Can I ask you one question, what if it was Blouberg that burned down?

Would the route have been changed and made to ride there as a Solidarity ride?

Bet you the ride would have gone ahead like nothing happened.

Just asking?

Guest Smimby

nooit bro - not that kinda guy.....wait that sounds dodgy.

The jist of what I was saying was missed and I think you (didnt know N road needed different permission to local roads) and Tube's post (community buy in) put some perspective on the one side. The other - I will wait on till I can get my head round it properly.

But to sum up, I am really really happy to be riding. But my anger/disappointment come from expecting more of the organisers and this great city we live in. Maybe those expectations were to high. 

People seem to forget that the M3 is "FREEWAY" just like the N1 N2

Just asking?

WTF has Blouberg got to do with it?

Why will it be chaos?

Nothing has changed at the start

Expect a few more big group crashes in the first 10km due to the all-out strategy the race snakes will want to follow, that will push back the later groups and cause bottlenecks (last year was chaos with the double loading start chutes) in the chutes, then add a bunch of guys who just got warmed up and want to beat their first lap time inbetween riders that will take twice as long as they do... see where this is going yet? 

Just asking?

Since when does the Cycle Tour go anywhere near Blouberg?