Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

Paddy Gordon just been on Cape talk. Tokai and Silvermine still to be closed for 6 to 24 months pending investigation by various experts regarding soil structure and the regeneration of the area. Cape Pine accelerating exit strategy due to the fire, exiting within months.

Areas will most likely be opened in stages according to the impact of the fire and their restoration of the areas affected.

So essentially no change.

Again... We are constantly communicating with parks in an attempt to get in asap.

He did also say that Silvermine wasn't really a safety issue, but experts need to check it out

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He did also say that Silvermine wasn't really a safety issue, but experts need to check it out

Yep. But he still didn't change the timeline. I have a feeling that they'll open it up pretty soon. Silvermine, that is. Hope so.

.... Then there is a list of meetings that were supposed to be held between 2nd and the 7th of March. Do you know if they actually took place? If they did, where can we get hold of the minutes?

Ok, I've just retweeted the notice from TMNP and will stick something on FB. In the meantime here are the locations where the sessions will be held. We are still waiting on new dates however and will retweet and share when available.

Probably best for anyone interested in these matters to follow Park's twitter and FB feeds. They are putting the notices out but if you aren't tuned in you may miss it..

Best to read the draft plan and have an understanding of it before going in. The presentation really is just that, and serves to answer questions that is not clear in the doc. Pay special attention to the zoning as this is the basis for where mountain bike will be permitted - following it's own planning sessions of course. 

If you cannot register online, be assured that you can do so at the info session beforehand. Take a pen.

"Stakeholders are further invited to attend public information sessions at one of the venues listed below and comment on aspects relating to these plans."

Park

Date  and time

Venue

TMNP

POSTPONED - Simon’s Town Museum, Court Road, Simons Town

POSTPONED - Newlands Conference Room, Newlands Forest Station, Union Avenue (M3)

POSTPONED - Fish Hoek Civic Hall, Central Circle, Fish Hoek

POSTPONED - Cape Town Central Library, Drill Hall, Darling Street, Cape Town

POSTPONED - Edith Stephens Nature Reserve, Govan Mbeki Road, Philippi

POSTPONED - Khayelitsha Resource Centre, Makabeni Road, Khayeltisha

POSTPONED - Rocklands Minor Hall, Cnr Spine & Park Roads, Rocklands, Mitchell’s Plain

Edited by (insert name here..)
format

Thanks Deon! I will comment further on your new thread when I have a little more time.

But this is time for all mountain bikers to come to the party. Please register your interest on the TMNP web site and attend the public meetings. Now is the time to show our support for our mountain! For convenience the new thread is linked here:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/148925-2015-tmnp-park-planning-info-session/

Thanks Deon! I will comment further on your new thread when I have a little more time.

But this is time for all mountain bikers to come to the party. Please register your interest on the TMNP web site and attend the public meetings. Now is the time to show our support for our mountain! For convenience the new thread is linked here:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/148925-2015-tmnp-park-planning-info-session/

This, I agree with wholeheartedly!

DJR, on 13 Mar 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:snapback.png

Thinking "out of the box" a little bit about things that could help:

Would Tokai Mtb (perhaps SANParks can write a supporting letter explaining the situation also) think about talking to the Tygerberg Bountainbike Club on behalf of peeps with valid Activity cards? How about negotiating a 50% discount if you join Tygerberg for the next year and you can produce a valid Activity card. Mountainbike brothers standing together and all that! Us Southern Suburbs guys won't ride there quite as often and something like that will soften the blow and generate huge goodwill. It will also help to take the pressure off Tokai for the recovery period.

That's an excellent idea. Would be keen to see how the Tygerberg guys respond. 

Emailed.

Any news regarding this?

Crap. Confirmed.

Will update with more when we know more details.

I'm gutted...

That is so bad, really 18 months? I am going to cry, now I have to drive to MTB anywhere. 

Please try convince them to open Silvermine and Ou Wapad at least.

Crap. Confirmed.

Will update with more when we know more details.

I'm gutted...

what the tweet say?

It is a real pity. I was hoping that by next summer I could take the kids around there. I do hope that the next 18 months will see the complete eradication of the remaining pines and the fynbos recovering properly.

what the tweet say?

Just that it is closed for 18 months, no other info was released as far as I know.

And that you can get a pro-rata refund