Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

Re. the Tokai baboon troops:

I don't think there is enough left for them to survive on? All the dead tortoises, lizards and small animals might give a bit of short term protein, but otherwise it is very barren.

I wonder whether they will feed the baboons to tide them over? Feeding them is generally a bad idea as it teaches them bad habits that will later bring them into conflict with humans and leave only one ultimate option, euthanasia! I wonder whether there is a way to feed them without causing problems? Something like a remote baboon "restaurant" halfway up the mountain? Or "hiding" food all over the place to encourage them to forage naturally?

There has always been part of the mountain where they could move to when it burnt. This time I really think they have nowhere to go. Will they manage to make the jump to Cecilia Forest? Is that even desirable with the proximity of Kirstenbosch and the suburbs?

It will be interesting to see what the baboon experts come up with. As far as I know, this is a dilemma never encountered before.

The link I posted earlier

https://m.facebook.com/HumanWildlifeSolutions.SA/albums/566258916849806/?refid=56

3. Foraging for the Northern Region baboon troops

Baboon rangers, BTT members, veterinarians and animal welfare experts are all evaluating the situation, on a daily basis. The assessment is that there is adequate food and plenty of water in running streams, for all four Northern Troops.

4. Plea to residents NOT to feed the baboons

It is absolutely critical that residents do NOT start to randomly feed baboons in their gardens, natural areas or along the road with vegetables, fruits or ANY food. This will just encourage baboons to start raiding homes again.

It is vitally important to encourage the baboons to continue foraging out of town. Research has shown that the fires stimulate plant growth and new growth. With the arrival of the first rains, bulbs will be easier to find and the foraging may be better than it was before the fires. Baboons are already benefiting from the first flush of green growth that has already occurred after the fire.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The link I posted earlier

https://m.facebook.com/HumanWildlifeSolutions.SA/albums/566258916849806/?refid=56

3. Foraging for the Northern Region baboon troops

Baboon rangers, BTT members, veterinarians and animal welfare experts are all evaluating the situation, on a daily basis. The assessment is that there is adequate food and plenty of water in running streams, for all four Northern Troops.

4. Plea to residents NOT to feed the baboons

It is absolutely critical that residents do NOT start to randomly feed baboons in their gardens, natural areas or along the road with vegetables, fruits or ANY food. This will just encourage baboons to start raiding homes again.

It is vitally important to encourage the baboons to continue foraging out of town. Research has shown that the fires stimulate plant growth and new growth. With the arrival of the first rains, bulbs will be easier to find and the foraging may be better than it was before the fires. Baboons are already benefiting from the first flush of green growth that has already occurred after the fire.

Thanks, I missed that. Agree re. not feeding them, it will just lead to even greater disaster later. Glad to hear they reckon there is enough food for them, but I still think they are going to have a rough time.

Ok, so what do we do then, short of telling them we think they're lying? I can see that going down well.

What part of "you may not enter for the *many reason* provided." do you not accept?

Does it matter whether it goes down well or not? It might just put a stop to the BS and foster a somewhat more respectful response in future. 

I don't think there's a conspiracy - just a badly run organization that has a problem with the truth. No wonder they don't want to put anything in writing - it could very easily be used against them when they do a flip flop.

As for the reasons given - I'll say it again - if there is room for scientists and lumberjacks and Sentech ( you dont seriously believe their preposterous claim that sentech will not be allowed access to fix faults? They probably have a right to access the antennae ) then there is room for Tokai MTB to have a one off visit to check on the trails.

Jonkers is partially open already. Bennet has been in securing damaged trails to prevent access for safety reasons. It looks every bit as bad as Tokai from the pics I have seen...

But ya why fight a battle when you can win the war eh? 

well as long as you take the misalignments off thehub and sort it out before discussing challenges among yourselves here.

There are completely divergent approaches to co-operating with SANPARKS being projected, both are right in appropriate contexts but only one approach will work.

well as long as you take the misalignments off thehub and sort it out before discussing challenges among yourselves here.

There are completely divergent approaches to co-operating with SANPARKS being projected, both are right in appropriate contexts but only one approach will work.

dont be boring: this is fun. reminds me of that coup of a couple of years ago, and look how well things turned out because of that ugly spat. ;)

it bothers me that you know this

news on the radio. There's certain things you can't ignore, especially when they mention that there's a new trending topic on twitter, which is something along the lines of "cut yourself for one direction" with corresponding pictures of people showing their sliced fore-arms in sadness of the split. I kid you not.

That... is... disturbing. For it to be trending, it's got to be large.