Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

The statement by TMNP at the meeting on Monday that nobody, not even Baboon Monitors are allowed into Tokai used as justification for denying the Tokai MTB committee access to assess the trail situation. which on the available info ex FB, appears to be false.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Deon - all your efforts are appreciated and don't go by unnoticed.

The part in bold makes me cry!!!

That means a lot, thanks! But the whole committee really deserves the gratitude.

Seems members have all been a bit busy and a meeting date is finally set for Thursday. There should be a newsletter coming out soon after to condense all the info into one spot.

I feel the same. It takes quite some motivation to keep posting about the closure. :(

The statement by TMNP at the meeting on Monday that nobody, not even Baboon Monitors are allowed into Tokai used as justification for denying the Tokai MTB committee access to assess the trail situation. which on the available info ex FB, appears to be false.

As you say, "appears".

Maybe you are right and there really is some conspiracy against us, what purpose will assessing the trails serve? There is no-one to ride them.

If its a lie, it shows bad faith on TMNP's part and further erodes my and many other peoples faith in them or our ability to believe anything that they say or promise. That it does not bother you, bothers me.

By the same token, what could it hurt to allow a few guys in to assess the trail situation and provide them with some advice and assistance?

If its a lie, it shows bad faith on TMNP's part and further erodes my and many other peoples faith in them or our ability to believe anything that they say or promise. That it does not bother you, bothers me.

By the same token, what could it hurt to allow a few guys in to assess the trail situation and provide them with some advice and assistance?

Ok, so what do we do then, short of telling them we think they're lying? I can see that going down well.

What part of "you may not enter for the *many reason* provided." do you not accept?

Conspiracy against mountainbikers or not, it would be best to play by their rules for now and engage them as Deon, Rob, et al are doing. I must say I wouldn't mind hearing an independent view of the state of Tokai from a zoologist/botanist/geologist, but anyway.

Ok, so what do we do then, short of telling them we think they're lying? I can see that going down well.

What part of "you may not enter for the *many reason* provided." do you not accept?

I think the point Tim is trying to make is that we get treated like second class citizens time and time again. They tell you guys one thing and do something else the next.

Amongst all the reasons mentioned earlier, how do any of those reasons affect silvermine, you are only allowed on the road there so no damage to flora, there is no forest to speak of there so no chance of dead trees falling on you.

While I fully understand the need to properly assess the damage but to say no one will be allowed in there a minimum of 6 months is shocking when Jonkers expects to be fully up and running in that time.

Edited by Slapsock

you're right.. I'm out. 

What's wrong with asking questions and pointing out inconsistencies?

I think the point Tim is trying to make is that we get treated like second class citizens time and time again. They tell you guys one thing and do something else the next.

Amongst all the reasons mentioned earlier, how do any of those reasons affect silvermine, you are only allowed on the road there so no damage to flora, there is no forest to speak of there so no chance of dead trees falling on you.

While I fully understand the need to properly assess the damage but to say no one will be allowed in there a minimum of 6 months is shocking when Jonkers expects to be fully up and running in that time.

100%

What's wrong with asking questions and pointing out inconsistencies?

100%

You right too. There is no problem with that but what do we want from it?

Some battles are worth fighting. Choose wisely.

Thing is Tokai is a reserve. Maybe we are allowed back maybe not.

However instead of trying to ring tmnp to get going and giving answers. Arent there any farms in the area, steenberg, constantia that would like to have a trail on their land?

Man I wish I had a farm with a hill!!!!

Edited by Eddy Gordo

It is simply logical that those serving an essential function be allowed into Tokai and those not serving an essential function be kept out until it is safe to allow them back. 

1. The baboon troops are in absolute crisis at the very moment. They have lost 99% of their habitat and food source. They were already too many before the fire because their numbers grew over the last decade or two and their habitat did not. They will be starving right now. What options do they have? Invade the suburbs and raid dustbins? The monitors keep them away from houses where they will be unwelcome. Raid the ripening grapes? The electric fences and the shotguns will keep them away. Translocate them? Never before done successfully. Take them where? Near farms? To be shot? Wilderness areas? They don't know Mr Leopard. So, yes, by all means, allow the baboon experts and the vets in. They have an urgent and essential function to perform right now!

2. Sentec will be allowed in to service their radio masts and telecoms equipment. Without it Cape Town cannot function. Oh, wait, we are out of the cricket world cup, so what, maybe keep Sentec out. :ph34r:

3. Cape Pine must remove the pines ASAP. Let them get on with it first. The sooner they get it done, the sooner we will get back to normal

Sorry, but mtb is not essential at the moment, no matter how much I feel that it is.

Ooops, I forgot to say...

4. S.A.National Biodiversity Institute scientists.....should be allowed up there to monitor whatever starts to sprout. :)  

Re. the Tokai baboon troops:

I don't think there is enough left for them to survive on? All the dead tortoises, lizards and small animals might give a bit of short term protein, but otherwise it is very barren. 

I wonder whether they will feed the baboons to tide them over? Feeding them is generally a bad idea as it teaches them bad habits that will later bring them into conflict with humans and leave only one ultimate option, euthanasia! I wonder whether there is a way to feed them without causing problems? Something like a remote baboon "restaurant" halfway up the mountain? Or "hiding" food all over the place to encourage them to forage naturally?

There has always been part of the mountain where they could move to when it burnt. This time I really think they have nowhere to go. Will they manage to make the jump to Cecilia Forest? Is that even desirable with the proximity of Kirstenbosch and the suburbs? 

It will be interesting to see what the baboon experts come up with. As far as I know, this is a dilemma never encountered before.