Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None yet, But I'll be there later this week once it's filtered down to the guys in the relevant positions. 

Only thing I can suggest is to email Parks.. process wasn't discussed this morning but assuming the permit dept (when they hear about it, or through enough enquiries) can answer the questions.. may save you a trip if you were to go down to the Tokai offices..

Contact here.

tablemountain@sanparks.org http://

Only thing I can suggest is to email Parks.. process wasn't discussed this morning but assuming the permit dept (when they hear about it, or through enough enquiries) can answer the questions.. may save you a trip if you were to go down to the Tokai offices..

Contact here.

tablemountain@sanparks.org http://

was only going to go down next week, but ja. 

For those who are getting the refunds, don't forget that the Activity Card can be used for Cape Point and Table Mountain. Why not give those a try first before tipping the baby out with the bathwater. ;)

Absolutely. Saw the TMB tweets this morning and it basically looked like the fact that Tokai and S'mine is off limits, you should get a refund. There is still black/Red hill and I know that Red hill has just recently spent 35k of PPA donated monies in the trail so could be worth exploring!

TokaiMTB is looking into ploughing some love into this area too making the trek worthwhile. Will have more info on this in some time. Watch Twitter, FB and sign up for the newsletter (http://tokaimtb.co.za/subscribe-to-newsletter/)

For those who are getting the refunds, don't forget that the Activity Card can be used for Cape Point and Table Mountain. Why not give those a try first before tipping the baby out with the bathwater. ;)

BUT most of Cape Point is closed too - even for hiking - I knows.

Absolutely. Saw the TMB tweets this morning and it basically looked like the fact that Tokai and S'mine is off limits, you should get a refund. There is still black/Red hill and I know that Red hill has just recently spent 35k of PPA donated monies in the trail so could be worth exploring!

TokaiMTB is looking into ploughing some love into this area too making the trek worthwhile. Will have more info on this in some time. Watch Twitter, FB and sign up for the newsletter (http://tokaimtb.co.za/subscribe-to-newsletter/)

Really? Haven't seen any news about that

Naa, I will rather drive out to lebanon, Steilte, or tygerberg trails. 

If there is one tiny smidgen of good out of this fire, it is that we were forced to drive out to Paul Cluver for our Sunday ride. WOW those trails are spectacular, when you are just riding with mates, no w2w or crowded race single track - so worth the drive.

If there is one tiny smidgen of good out of this fire, it is that we were forced to drive out to Paul Cluver for our Sunday ride. WOW those trails are spectacular, when you are just riding with mates, no w2w or crowded race single track - so worth the drive.

Indeed, Definitely worth it

From Vince, who was in the meeting this morning with Deon, Sandra and Rob Vogel. 

Suffice to say that I have the sads. Will release more info as and when it happens. 

Hi Guys

The situation is way more complex than we imagined. We asked lots of questions. Here are some of the points that were explained to us.

1.       Cape Pine requested that the park be closed until logging is finished.

2.       Cape Pine has got a small window to harvest all the pines before its unusable so they  have put all their resourses into Tokai.

3.       No-one is allowed into Tokai that includes Telkom, Sentec, Baboon watchers, runners , hikers, dog walkers etc  and even some of the TMNP staff.

4.       All the massive Bluegums are going to come down and are unsafe at the moment.

5.       The slopes where the pines were have to stabilised .

6.       TMNP is putting in a claim of R36 mil to the government  to remove aliens and stabilise the mountain and do an impact study of the area.

Seems the Baboon people are allowed up

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.566258916849806.1073741833.208556399286728&type=1

Baboon rangers, BTT members, veterinarians and animal welfare experts are all evaluating the situation, on a daily basis.

Any news as to when TokaiMTB will be allowed to check out the lay of the land firsthand?

Seems the Baboon people are allowed up

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.566258916849806.1073741833.208556399286728&type=1

Baboon rangers, BTT members, veterinarians and animal welfare experts are all evaluating the situation, on a daily basis.

Any news as to when TokaiMTB will be allowed to check out the lay of the land firsthand?

Going to months, certainly nothing shorter than 4 the way things currently stand. 

If we were in a position to help save or put critically injured animals down, carry out scientific studies into geology or biology, or even fell trees as part of the Cape Pine contract we would more than likely be up there now with clear contractual agreements in place. But since we would just go up to look at the mountain bike tracks or check the lay of the land before required to for the vision doc, I don't think any of the other user groups would see that as serving much purpose and start asking the same question you just did. 

Sadly, Tokai still closed.. 

Edited by (insert name here..)

Going to months, certainly nothing shorter than 4 the way things currently stand. 

If we were in a position to help save or put critically injured animals down, carry out scientific studies into geology or biology, or even fell trees as part of the Cape Pine contract we would more than likely be up there now with clear contractual agreements in place. But since we would just go up to look at the mountain bike tracks or check the lay of the land before required to for the vision doc, I don't think any of the other user groups would see that as serving much purpose and start asking the same question you just did. 

Thanks Deon - all your efforts are appreciated and don't go by unnoticed.

The part in bold makes me cry!!!

Deon, thanks for clarifying.

Purely asking as I understood it to be opposite to the previous statement.