Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

From Vince, who was in the meeting this morning with Deon, Sandra and Rob Vogel. 

Suffice to say that I have the sads. Will release more info as and when it happens. 

Hi Guys

The situation is way more complex than we imagined. We asked lots of questions. Here are some of the points that were explained to us.

1.       Cape Pine requested that the park be closed until logging is finished.

2.       Cape Pine has got a small window to harvest all the pines before its unusable so they  have put all their resourses into Tokai.

3.       No-one is allowed into Tokai that includes Telkom, Sentec, Baboon watchers, runners , hikers, dog walkers etc  and even some of the TMNP staff.

4.       All the massive Bluegums are going to come down and are unsafe at the moment.

5.       The slopes where the pines were have to stabilised .

6.       TMNP is putting in a claim of R36 mil to the government  to remove aliens and stabilise the mountain and do an impact study of the area.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gutted...

Like the forest...

I see that there's rangers at all the entrances now all the time.

My cycling has taken a big knock since the fire.  I've even lost the motivation to go out on the road bike.  No cycling since the Argus...  :(

Feel lost without Tokai

From Vince, who was in the meeting this morning with Deon, Sandra and Rob Vogel. 

Suffice to say that I have the sads. Will release more info as and when it happens. 

Hi Guys

The situation is way more complex than we imagined. We asked lots of questions. Here are some of the points that were explained to us.

2.       Cape Pine has got a small window to harvest all the pines before its unusable so they  have put all their resourses into Tokai.

3.       No-one is allowed into Tokai that includes Telkom, Sentec, Baboon watchers, runners , hikers, dog walkers etc  and even some of the TMNP staff.

4.       All the massive Bluegums are going to come down and are unsafe at the moment.

6.       TMNP is putting in a claim of R36 mil to the government  to remove aliens and stabilise the mountain and do an impact study of the area.

Its shorter than I expected for all the reasons I figured would be in play.

rehab is going to take a long time and I'm guessing pine removal is going to be in stages.

I hope the darn "we need the pines" flora huggers can get over this without incident

Its shorter than I expected for all the reasons I figured would be in play.

rehab is going to take a long time and I'm guessing pine removal is going to be in stages.

I hope the darn "we need the pines" flora huggers can get over this without incident

They're working 7 days a week, so I reckon it'll be in one fell swoop. If you'll excuse the pun. 

Hi Guys

I read about that last week sometime!!

But I am expecting it to take alot longer, as these departments wont get anything started anytime soon.

They're working 7 days a week, so I reckon it'll be in one fell swoop. If you'll excuse the pun. 

I doubt the felling will start before Spring. If it does then National Parks are going to have to make funds available yesterday for the slope stabilisation

...............snip snip...........

The only way I will happily wait for 18 months before going back there, is if I KNOW that SANParks is REALLY DOING the RIGHT THING for the CONSERVATION of the mountain. This is their chance to SHOW US that they can get it right FOR TOKAI. If they twiddle their thumbs and let the aliens take over and erosion run riot, it will destroy their credibility and I will support taking control of the mountain away from them! Meanwhile, I will support them!

I doubt the felling will start before Spring. If it does then National Parks are going to have to make funds available yesterday for the slope stabilisation

They're already felling the lower forest between tokai and spaansgemat rd

erm, it's already going...