Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

Unfortunately not. There is a global rule for all parkruns that they are run on a Saturday morning at 8am.

If you want to get points and runs logged then you can do what they call freedom runs where you run the route timed and then manually log it. That can be done at any time but then you lose the whole vibe and safety in numbers side of things.

Personally my parkrun cant be run as a freedom run because it is just far too dangerous to run with less than 5 people that will stick together.

Cheers, wonder why the rule though...  Parkrun ideal to do with the family, an my kids Saturday mornings are invariably chocabloc with school sport etc.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just saying that the same effort on a treadmill will give a faster pace.  You are actually confirming the logic of this - treadmill running is simply easier - the surface springs back in a way tarmac definitely doesn't, there is no wind resistance etc etc etc.  So yes, I am saying your footpod needs a little calibrating if you say based on your experience a person will run 1minute a km faster on the road than they manage on the treadmill...

My footpod is perfectly calibrated thanks .

I reckon the lazy treadmill runners need to calibrate their approach.

Cadence tells the tale ,if a person runs the same way they run on the roped with the same cadence and hear rate they will be slower .

You are always welcome to join us and test the theory .

Personally my parkrun cant be run as a freedom run because it is just far too dangerous to run with less than 5 people that will stick together.

As an ex slummies boy I am curious to know what this route is?

My footpod is perfectly calibrated thanks .

I reckon the lazy treadmill runners need to calibrate their approach.

Cadence tells the tale ,if a person runs the same way they run on the roped with the same cadence and hear rate they will be slower .

You are always welcome to join us and test the theory

All good sheriff...  I agree cadence tells the tale (and also run with a footpod btw), but I honestly don't get your argument as you seem to be confirming that the same effort on road and treadmill will leave you slower on the road compared to your pace on the treadmill... (which contradicts your statement that a guys can increase his pace by 1m/k on the road vs t/mill)

But I also have no beef to keep arguing the point, so all good - I must be wrong or stupid or both.  :thumbup:

All good sheriff...  I agree cadence tells the tale (and also run with a footpod btw), but I honestly don't get your argument as you seem to be confirming that the same effort on road and treadmill will leave you slower on the road compared to your pace on the treadmill... (which contradicts your statement that a guys can increase his pace by 1m/k on the road vs t/mill)

But I also have no beef to keep arguing the point, so all good - I must be wrong or stupid or both.  :thumbup:

Maybe you want to read it again.

That is not what I said, you have it the wrong way around.

I said I was a minute p/km. slower on the treadmill, referring to myself.

Not the bs. baffles brains treadmill runs at 15 km/ph speed and all one has to do is stay in the air.

Cheers, wonder why the rule though...  Parkrun ideal to do with the family, an my kids Saturday mornings are invariably chocabloc with school sport etc.

Yeah I have never really understood it either, there are also lots of people that work on Saturday mornings. 

As an ex slummies boy I am curious to know what this route is?

Its the Nahoon point run. Basically starts at Nahoon corner then runs across the beach towards the river and past the lifesavers shack, then you turn and run back along the beach and up that big ass hill. At the top of the hill you run across the road and into the trails towards Bats cave, a quick detour up to the trig beacon then back down to the reef parking lot and then along the rocks heading back towards Bats cave. Then to finish you run up a sand dune to the higher parking lot at reef.

There are many many dodgy people lurking in the bushes heading towards Bats cave. A friend of mine was beaten nearly to death with a brick a few years ago in the area.

A month ago 5 guys were running the route when one stopped to pee and the others carried on, he was attacked and stabbed 20 times but fortunately survived.

So Im happy about the parkrun, it lets me run in one of the most beautiful areas safely!

I've been running a lot due to time constraints with the bike etc. 

Got a bit on an injury, so my mileage has dropped, but I'm doing 5-7km runs about 4 times a week and I love it.

I'm managing, on a fast run, about 5m20s/km so I'm not doing too bad, but it keeps the fitness up and the more I do it, the more I enjoy it.

Now, before I get flamed, I still prefer my two wheeled mistress!

Yeah I have never really understood it either, there are also lots of people that work on Saturday mornings. 

Its the Nahoon point run. Basically starts at Nahoon corner then runs across the beach towards the river and past the lifesavers shack, then you turn and run back along the beach and up that big ass hill. At the top of the hill you run across the road and into the trails towards Bats cave, a quick detour up to the trig beacon then back down to the reef parking lot and then along the rocks heading back towards Bats cave. Then to finish you run up a sand dune to the higher parking lot at reef.

There are many many dodgy people lurking in the bushes heading towards Bats cave. A friend of mine was beaten nearly to death with a brick a few years ago in the area.

A month ago 5 guys were running the route when one stopped to pee and the others carried on, he was attacked and stabbed 20 times but fortunately survived.

So Im happy about the parkrun, it lets me run in one of the most beautiful areas safely!

Beautiful spot with some proper steep inclines!  Sad that it can't be enjoyed these days except in numbers.

Maybe you want to read it again.

That is not what I said, you have it the wrong way around.

I said I was a minute p/km. slower on the treadmill, referring to myself.

Not the bs. baffles brains treadmill runs at 15 km/ph speed and all one has to do is stay in the air.

Yeah, I think thats probably most people. I can run sub 4's with ease on a treadmill, mostly because you learn to run fast on a treadmill. On the open road, sub 4's are a different beast all together. Are you slower on a treadmill cause you run "properly" on it? I find that most people I speak to say that they're faster on a treadmill.

Ok so I just restarted this running thing and on the treadmill at a 1% Gradient and super slow- (waaaaay slower than Carpet so not saying) with amounts of walking inbetween I managed 6,5kms in the 40 mins I was on the treadmill. I have just realised I can't take my bike with me when I go on tour this week so any advice to how to translate this to outdoor running? Can I still try for 40 mins? I know it's tougher outside than at the gym And also I was rowing for 20 mins before and between the 2 sets of 20 mins jogging.

Thanx in advance on the advice

Edited by Da Vinci

Ok so I just restarted this running thing and on the treadmill at a 1% Gradient and super slow- (waaaaay slower than Carpet so not saying) with amounts of walking inbetween I managed 6,5kms in the 40 mins I was on the treadmill. I have just realised I can't take my bike with me when I go on tour this week so any advice to how to translate this to outdoor running? Can I still try for 40 mins? I know it's tougher outside than at the gym And also I was rowing for 20 mins before and between the 2 sets of 20 mins jogging.

Thanx in advance on the advice

Start slowly and short and build up over time. Everybody is different, so I cant say what an appropriate starting distance is for you. That being said <5km is probably a decent starting point. Each week up the mileage a small bit, extra 1-2km up to a point your happy with. When you're feeling comfortable with the distance, starting trying to run segments a bit quicker, eventually upping your pace across the whole run.

Many many beginner plans out there if your keen on getting started. Just a quick internet search away. Also note that this is entirely anecdotal and you should guide yourself.

Edited by TopFuel

Repeated shin splints put an end to my running, done a half marathon but never got to do a full one.

Repeated shin splints put an end to my running, done a half marathon but never got to do a full one.

Increase distance too soon?

I found that compression socks stop me getting them, I look like a chop but at least my shins stay in one piece!

Changing my form helped me avoid shin splits. Pretend you are satnding on your toes to get something of a top shelf when jogging I even put my arms up some times... Or imagine your hips are a bowl of water and you need to keep it in there. That works for me any way...

somethimes thats just the way it is, BUT try a decent pair of shoes. Go to a proper running shop, let them look at your style and buy shoes accordingly. Then start with short runs on grass, it lessens the impact, and builds the bone density which should sort the problem.