Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the runners world 10km beginner program, really easy to achieve and will lead to bigger better things as you progress...

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2011/01/10km-Beginner.jpg

Frigging insane, 25 k's for a first week.

Surely this program is for a regular runner looking to better his 10 km. PB

Frigging insane, 25 k's for a first week.

Surely this program is for a regular runner looking to better his 10 km. PB

I thought so too, did it, ended up with a niggly calf on week 3 (too much distance too soon)...rested for week 4 and then returned to repeat week 4. completed the 10km goal in 7 weeks. (Calf healed lekker)

Currently on a 21km program which I pulled off google images...based purely on 3x 5km EZ runs a week with one distance run between 13-16km (4th run in the week)...finding it very manageable...

The only reason hate something is because they're not good at it  :ph34r:

I can sympathise with people running on flat roads. I like running in the trails cause I can go places where the bike can't take me.

Try enduro on a motorbike :thumbup:

I'd like to see (well, not really...) a motorbike go where some trail runners in Paarl go...  :eek:  

Back to the training plans - have to agree with the 25k's in week 1 comments. If I started that way, I'd have been injured early and stopped running a long time ago. But that's just my experience. Sure, I'm not 21 any more and I started running with the intent of not injuring myself... but still, starting off with a 25k week seems like asking for trouble. Think that's more than I did in my first month! 

A friend of mine also recently took up running. From doing absolutely nothing... and there's a fair bit more of him than of me.  :ph34r:  He simply stuck to the Runner's World beginners to 5k and then to their Oceans training program... and he's doing Oceans half in a couple of weeks' time.  :thumbup:  

My regular riding buddy told me one thing: you'll be your own worst enemy, since you are already fit and think you can just start running - TAKE IT EASY! 

sweet and there it is my motivation coz some one else gave me a plan of action. So are asics gel still,the preferred choice? Sigh can't believe.

When I started, I was doing 4kms on the treadmill very slowly and just slowly progressed. If you hit a niggle taper back and rest up,

Here is the crazy Programme we on now for Comrades, I am eating like mo fo and still losing weight

http://www.comrades.com/bill-rowan-2015

https://www.poobienaidoos.co.za

Best pricing in South Africa for running shoes, and this will be delivered to your door for R60 Bucks anywhere in South Africa

Ugh those run programmes look like too much thinking. :whistling: I'm more "ok I'm off to run for an hour now" kinda runner... Running for me is the time to let all the things that are stressing me out just wash away.

:)

Ugh those run programmes look like too much thinking. :whistling: I'm more "ok I'm off to run for an hour now" kinda runner... Running for me is the time to let all the things that are stressing me out just wash away.

:)

Nothing wrong with that, we sort of use that running Programme as a guideline and then also rely on old dudes from the club for guidance.

I suppose we all destrssing as we focused on getting ready for comrades.

Fair enough, if I was going to enter anything above 20km I would train too I guess, but happy with my ~10-12km jaunts

I began running again, after years off, last year. Started gradually on the treadmill and then moved out onto the road. I have various routes of differing distance in the area. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16k. I try and go out at least twice a week for an hour depending. Once you get up to a level where it becomes comfortable its amazing. average around 5mins/km over 10km's.

Found it helps the riding plenty and I run more in the off periods where I don't see a bike for a few months.

My aim is to get under 50mins for a 10k.

I began running again, after years off, last year. Started gradually on the treadmill and then moved out onto the road. I have various routes of differing distance in the area. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16k. I try and go out at least twice a week for an hour depending. Once you get up to a level where it becomes comfortable its amazing. average around 5mins/km over 10km's.

Found it helps the riding plenty and I run more in the off periods where I don't see a bike for a few months.

My aim is to get under 50mins for a 10k.

Honk donk, try this out. Find a nice flat 1km stretch . And run that at your fastest pace like example 4mins 30 pace. 2 minute break and back again at same pace. Do that 8 times. Equals 8kms not bad. But this will help you maintain that pace across 10kms. Boom that is a 45minute 10km.

Just did a 20 after work. Well.... 20 min, and not 20km... but you have to start somewhere. ,lol

Boom, tomorrow 25 minutes 

Archived