epic women's race not up to scratch - Gunn-Rita

#Pete#

Good valid point made by gunn-Rita.

The event brings people out to race but only the leading ladies get the advantage of having elite men pull them clear of their opposition.

Not particularly fair is it?

I thought she was whineing about not being at the front of her start batch - simple solution - get to the line earlier...

Can't see how she can blame anybody but herself for that.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought she was whineing about not being at the front of her start batch - simple solution - get to the line earlier...

More than enough time and space to get around people and work the way up the field .

I think what she is whining about is the start rules that allow the top mens team to start in A regardless of delay due to mechanical or sickness issues, whereas the ladies it becomes batch B

But yes, they should have made sure themselves that they had a good position (front) on Stage 1, and not rely on their pro status.

post-182-0-38177700-1427193934_thumb.png

There is equal prize money for men and women. The top 10 men's teams but only the top 3 Ladies teams are allowed to start in group 0 in front of A.  

There is equal prize money for men and women. The top 10 men's teams but only the top 3 Ladies teams are allowed to start in group 0 in front of A.  

So are you proposing that more than 50% of the ladies field start in the first batch? There were 17 finishing ladies teams opposed to 254 mens teams.

I think a little bit of sour grapes as there was so much hype around her riding the Epic. But she does have some valid points. Huge difference starting in front as well as having strong riders to pull you away from the rest, never mind negotiating slower riders in front of you.

They should allow more top women teams to start together like the men. That way we should see better racing as well amongst them.

I think a little bit of sour grapes as there was so much hype around her riding the Epic. But she does have some valid points. Huge difference starting in front as well as having strong riders to pull you away from the rest, never mind negotiating slower riders in front of you.

They should allow more top women teams to start together like the men. That way we should see better racing as well amongst them.

the 10th ladies team came 240th in GC. Can you imagine getting stuck behind them if a stage has some technical sections in the first few kms? There are mixed, masters and grand masters teams that ride very hard for a good seeding. What would be unfair is if the A batch becomes the start for the UCI pro's, top 10 ladies, top 10 mixed, top 10 masters and top 10 grand masters teams. The group will be about 100 teams strong. Perhaps the answer is to scrap the rule that UCI pro riders get a free ride in A batch? 

the 10th ladies team came 240th in GC. Can you imagine getting stuck behind them if a stage has some technical sections in the first few kms? There are mixed, masters and grand masters teams that ride very hard for a good seeding. What would be unfair is if the A batch becomes the start for the UCI pro's, top 10 ladies, top 10 mixed, top 10 masters and top 10 grand masters teams. The group will be about 100 teams strong. Perhaps the answer is to scrap the rule that UCI pro riders get a free ride in A batch? 

Start according to your GC,  yeah. No favouritism. 

Quite simple. Start all the professional ladies in the 2nd batch and don't have the first 3 in the front group.

Don't see how you guys can't grasp the fact that 3 ladies team get a lead out from the strongest men's teams at the start of every day! How much of a race for the ladies title would it be if some of the ladies field were added to the invitational bunch at the front of any other event and the rest of them lined up with the licenced crew? Imagine doing this for 8 days and having this handicap daily?

If they're trying to ramp up the race vibe for the women's cat, then they have to apply some thoughts to their start policies to really atract the top racers! Wonder how much of a factor this start aspect has played in keeping the other professional ladies from giving the event a proper go!

Start according to your GC,  yeah. No favouritism. 

A silly pre Friday question...

Would equal rights be:

1) Allowing everyone to start according to their GC (men, women, vets, masters etc)

2) Allowing the top 10 in each cat to start ahead of people they're actually behind in GC?

the Pro's are paid to be there. they should have a start category of their own at the head of the field.

that would be all GC contenders.

Define a GC contender as a team within 1hour of the leader in that category.

Amateurs start behind this group. this gives all GC teams the same advantage of starting with the Elite men.

I believe that is her argument.

Quite simple. Start all the professional ladies in the 2nd batch and don't have the first 3 in the front group.

Don't see how you guys can't grasp the fact that 3 ladies team get a lead out from the strongest men's teams at the start of every day! How much of a race for the ladies title would it be if some of the ladies field were added to the invitational bunch at the front of any other event and the rest of them lined up with the licenced crew? Imagine doing this for 8 days and having this handicap daily?

If they're trying to ramp up the race vibe for the women's cat, then they have to apply some thoughts to their start policies to really atract the top racers! Wonder how much of a factor this start aspect has played in keeping the other professional ladies from giving the event a proper go!

very true... 

How about - for the first stage, they have the first 10 teams in each cat have their own start group. Top 10 would be decided by their prologue time. From then on, the start is according to your GC position. If you are number 2 ladies team, but 240th GC, you need to haul ass to be able to make it up to 120th GC (if that's where nr 1 lady is)

A silly pre Friday question...

Would equal rights be:

1) Allowing everyone to start according to their GC (men, women, vets, masters etc)

2) Allowing the top 10 in each cat to start ahead of people they're actually behind in GC?

I'm leaning towards the former. 

If you want to be a top tier team, you need to perform. Where you come in GC is a direct relation of your performance. Primary emphasis must be placed on GC result, surely. 

How about running different categories a day apart?

How about the area they have to ride is very big and not as tight as an XC course and a lll she had to do was ride for what she wanted .

I mean Kleinhans and Partner understand the concept .

Great post.  This does not necessarily affect the overall standings but it does affect potential stage wins..

Archived