Any trustworthy bike shops out there?

Try Tour De Frans on Atlas Road.  I've always had good service from them.  Their stock prices aren't the best but for service and services they are really good.

Cajees for servicing and expert advice! :ph34r:

Theres always one taking the piss

Cycle shops don't pay bills by giving advice

Google/YouTube/forums,amd friends

What a load of Twack.

All the bike shops i use are ALWAYS keen to dispense unbiased advice.

Thats what makes them great.

The best in Edenvale, Search Facebook for N+1 Cycleworks. The best service, price and just down rite BRILLIANT.

My baby always loves a visit to My friend at N+1...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

+1 Can't go wrong with Tom

RIDGEWAY CYCLES FTW. Speak to Rory or Deon. Great bunch of guys.

In general I agree with you, but the last three times I went there to pick up my bike when they said it was ready I had to wait around for about 20 mins while they finished the job. Also, when I bought a new tyre from them a couple of weeks ago they returned my brand new tube full of holes.

There are verry few bike shops like Tool-up cycles in Midrand.In my eyes they are the best in the business!Always friendly and eger to help.

It's a bit of a drive for you, but Complete Cyclist in Bryanston is an awesome shop. Also stop by at Summit Cycles in Midrand and speak to Anton.

I hear he is a dodgy chap with an alarming love for carbon bikes :P

Cycle shops don't pay bills by giving advice

Google/YouTube/forums,amd friends

Interesting post. What line of business are you in?

A trustworthy bike shop, you say?

They're looking for honest and loyal customers - I've heard many stories of cyclists rushing into a shop for last minute repairs only to slate the shop because they couldn't help or it cost a fortune. I needed a tandem wheel repair (spokes) in Durban last year. After some casual chit-chat with the mechanic about my club's race team principle sponsor (who he happened to know) and a few purchases of things I didn't really need but bought them anyway, I had a repaired wheel for what I considered below market prices.

They also have salaries to pay, a family to support and a life to live.

I have one LBS where most of my previous purchases (big and small) have been made and another one even closer to home. But I also buy online WHEN the price is right, and they know it. Some things I can do myself and other things require their help, but I don’t expect a freebie - they're not 100% happy but they know where they stand with me.

My new (pending) build is at a bike shop a little bit further from home, and I'm still building a relationship with the owner. So far so good considering the short period of time we've been chatting. I think this specific build is more about the passion that just being another bike.

My 2c

The best in Edenvale, Search Facebook for N+1 Cycleworks. The best service, price and just down rite BRILLIANT.

My baby always loves a visit to My friend at N+1...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Where exactly is this shop? According to the map on their FB page its nowhere near edenvale.

EDIT: unless its not the edenvale that I live near. As in near to all the above mentioned shops(Ridgeway, Johnsons, Tony Impey, FLC, TDF)

Based on personal experience....  Finish line cycles in Kempton Park, they are great, helpful and very knowledgeable.  I personally would stay away from Tour de Frans, Cajees Boksburg and Cycle lab in Boksburg.

Edit: I normally have my bike serviced at home by Casper Bester  (his business name is Chain Wizzard.)   Check @Casperbester on twitter.

Finish Line , Tony Impey and Pro cycles can all be highly recommended .

I personally know that Piet at Boksburg Cycle Lab is a wizard with MTB .

Also stop by at Summit Cycles in Midrand and speak to Anton.

Worth the drive from the far East... ;)

Finish Line in Glen Marais as others have mentioned is also good.

Archived