First Look: Pyga Stage MX and Plus Five chain line concept

Nick

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice looking bike, i'd buy one to give it a try although i don't think in its class (price,travel,carbon) its going to beat a SC or Yeti or or or?

it should be a 30% less priced compared to big brands to make it a winner i.m.o

But it's plastic!!!!!!!

But yes it will look niiiice next to my 110 and 120!

So you finally got a 110...

it not new. Cannondale did this last year with their F-Si 29 Hardtail and the new Scalpel is going the same way. Cannondale use a 6mm offset which I believe they patented so PYGA can't use 6mm. They opted for 5mm and using the gearing aspect as the reason or change which Is pretty smart way of getting around what Cannondale has done.

I spoke to Pat about this to get some clarity. Yes, Cannondale have played with offsets as have other manufacturers.

Cannondale offset the rear end by 6mm for two reasons:

1) Stiffer & stronger rear wheel

2) Better tire clearance and clearance for 1x and 2x upfront with shorter seat stays

The front and rear were both offset to the right resulting in little to no change in the chain line - this was not their intention.

For Pyga the primary focus was correcting the issues caused by the chainline to improve shifting and reduce component wear. A secondary benefit resulted in the stronger rear wheel due to equal spoke lengths.

So while the idea of adjusting the offset on the rear end is by no means new, doing so with the intent of addressing chain line issues is.

Having said that...Ask all the mechanics at the Epic & they will tell you how good that shock is!! flawless.... just saying....

That's funny because I asked Jennie Stenerhag why she didn't fit one on her new Scott favouring the SID, she said she's waiting for them to sort out all the issues that arose from the Epic feedback from Sauser et al.

I spoke to Pat about this to get some clarity. Yes, Cannondale have played with offsets as have other manufacturers.

Cannondale offset the rear end by 6mm for two reasons:

1) Stiffer & stronger rear wheel

2) Better tire clearance and clearance for 1x and 2x upfront with shorter seat stays

The front and rear were both offset to the right resulting in little to no change in the chain line - this was not their intention.

For Pyga the primary focus was correcting the issues caused by the chainline to improve shifting and reduce component wear. A secondary benefit resulted in the stronger rear wheel due to equal spoke lengths.

So while the idea of adjusting the offset on the rear end is by no means new, doing so with the intent of addressing chain line issues is.

Thanks for getting some insight to that. Basically they needed a different reason to address the same issue. Both companies looked at addressing deficiencies in the 29er rear wheel concept - one being wheel strength the other being a chain line adjustment.

Personally I think the reason Pyga has chosen for the offset is a good alternative to the wheel strength issue Cannondale addressed. It is my opinion that the wheel strength issue is a bigger motive than the chain line reason since I've not felt that any 29er suffers from poor shifting due to the chainline being slightly comprised but I can certainly feel rear wheel flex and weakness of really rough terrain at speed. So Pyga's innovation has a nock on effect of changing the rear wheel dish.

So kudos to Pyga for getting into this innovation path because I feel the rear wheel and front wheel hub widths are two of the biggest reasons I'm not a fan of 29ers yet. The wheels are just generally too weak. Hopefully this innovation gets the Pyga noticed and puts it on the international marathon bike map.

Thanks for getting some insight to that. Basically they needed a different reason to address the same issue. Both companies looked at addressing deficiencies in the 29er rear wheel concept - one being wheel strength the other being a chain line adjustment.

Personally I think the reason Pyga has chosen for the offset is a good alternative to the wheel strength issue Cannondale addressed. It is my opinion that the wheel strength issue is a bigger motive than the chain line reason since I've not felt that any 29er suffers from poor shifting due to the chainline being slightly comprised but I can certainly feel rear wheel flex and weakness of really rough terrain at speed. So Pyga's innovation has a nock on effect of changing the rear wheel dish.

So kudos to Pyga for getting into this innovation path because I feel the rear wheel and front wheel hub widths are two of the biggest reasons I'm not a fan of 29ers yet. The wheels are just generally too weak. Hopefully this innovation gets the Pyga noticed and puts it on the international marathon bike map.

From Pat's talk on Thursday and subsequent chat about this, the focus was firmly on the chain line (specifically in the context of 11 speed gearing) and this is what spurred the change. This wasn't a reason used to address another issue (wheel strength), it was the issue. Added wheel strength, though, is certainly a welcome positive benefit.

Pat intimated on Thursday that the plus five concept will be seen in more Pyga's - "the Stage is just the start" were his words.

I'd hazard a guess that we will see plus five trickle through the PYGA lineup and across all wheel sizes.

Just get 2 and make the 2nd a pressy to her.

G

its ok, just get another that's +5. It's apparently an advantage.

Lekker looking bike, but that' s not what I'd call a short stem on there. Then again compared to a normal dirt roadie stem maybe it is. Kudos to Pyga for recognising the need for bikes that can actually be ridden offroad properly, unlike most steep long stemmed marathon bikes which are hopeless in technical terrain. The bike industry in this country has been selling the wrong bikes to people for years thanks to the SA belief that marathon racing is the definition of mountain biking....