• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen guys - I don't care if it's getting bigger, brighter, hotter or closer. Just as long as it keeps coming and it doesn't turn out to be the light on a train. . . . .

:-)

And what if it's a train filled with good luck and much money? :whistling:

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Today we are going to look at cars in the nearest big town, Barbastro. After 6 months of residency in Spain you either have to buy a Spanish car or register your foreign car with Spanish plates. It's quite expensive to do and for us, with a British car, there's also some retro work to do because the headlights point the wrong way etc.

So, we're looking for a four wheel drive SUV type vehicle with a tow-bar that will do us for day to day stuff initially but also be able to get us up the access roads in the mountains to the top of some of the climbs because we are going to offer "uplifting" to those of our visitors who "like to ride down but don't always like riding up". . . .

Personally I'm loving the climbing :-)

We're heading into winter up here in the Northern Hemisphere, although it's still lovely weather where we are in Spain.

So, with that in mind we spent some time at the weekend going through the barn that Ramon the friendly farmer is lending us to store our furniture and belongings in until our house is ready. We only expected having to use it for a few months in the Spring but of course all the delays have knocked that for six. Everything is still clean & tidy and well wrapped up though and we even dug a few more things out to use at the apartment in the meantime.

Today Ramon and I drained the 1600 litre, 200 year old wooden cask that he has in his cellar and that we'd filled with stomped grape juice two weeks ago. It's finished fermenting and was ready to store. He has 4x 200 litre stainless steel tanks and an assortment of about a zillion old wine bottles that we've now filled and shelved. At the moment he still has about 400 litres of last years wine left to finish. By then the new stuff will be ready to go. It was hard work - because Ramon insisted on us both frequently testing the wine as we drained it out of the cask . . . . a tough job, but someone has to do it!

We're heading into winter up here in the Northern Hemisphere, although it's still lovely weather where we are in Spain.

So, with that in mind we spent some time at the weekend going through the barn that Ramon the friendly farmer is lending us to store our furniture and belongings in until our house is ready. We only expected having to use it for a few months in the Spring but of course all the delays have knocked that for six. Everything is still clean & tidy and well wrapped up though and we even dug a few more things out to use at the apartment in the meantime.

Today Ramon and I drained the 1600 litre, 200 year old wooden cask that he has in his cellar and that we'd filled with stomped grape juice two weeks ago. It's finished fermenting and was ready to store. He has 4x 200 litre stainless steel tanks and an assortment of about a zillion old wine bottles that we've now filled and shelved. At the moment he still has about 400 litres of last years wine left to finish. By then the new stuff will be ready to go. It was hard work - because Ramon insisted on us both frequently testing the wine as we drained it out of the cask . . . . a tough job, but someone has to do it!

Ramon sounds like a great friend.

On Friday morning we went into our local council office to check on the progress of our planning application. We were told that the regional architect in Huesca has approved our plans and they have been returned to the architect in Ainsa, who had approved them previously. Now the local council architect just needs to make sure that all of the paperwork is in place and sign it off. We are hoping that will happen this week . . . .

Meanwhile, on Friday afternoon I got a call from Angel, the man behind the whole Ainsa Zona-Zero MTB/Enduro project to see if I was free to help him with some trail work. I had been in and introduced myself to him at the bike shop a while ago - my intentions coming here were always to get involved and help out wherever I can - and he'd said that he'd start working on the trails in the autumn and was very keen to have any help. He's a great guy, speaks a bit of English and is passionate about the trails.

I think I will start a separate thread covering Zona Zero & Cycling in the Pyrenees etc, but for now here are a couple of pics taken this afternoon where we are creating a new single-track using an ancient sheep path through the forest . . . .

post-4874-0-61122500-1476733906_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-95517500-1476733926_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-09927900-1476733939_thumb.jpg

Awesome stuff, nice home, good friends, passionate hobby that keeps getting fed and trail building...

What a life.... nice going Bonus and Wendy... seems like the beginning of your new beginning is finally coming to the fore... I wish you guys every success with the house building when it does start...

Edited by ZakAttak

On Friday morning we went into our local council office to check on the progress of our planning application. We were told that the regional architect in Huesca has approved our plans and they have been returned to the architect in Ainsa, who had approved them previously. Now the local council architect just needs to make sure that all of the paperwork is in place and sign it off. We are hoping that will happen this week . . . .

Meanwhile, on Friday afternoon I got a call from Angel, the man behind the whole Ainsa Zona-Zero MTB/Enduro project to see if I was free to help him with some trail work. I had been in and introduced myself to him at the bike shop a while ago - my intentions coming here were always to get involved and help out wherever I can - and he'd said that he'd start working on the trails in the autumn and was very keen to have any help. He's a great guy, speaks a bit of English and is passionate about the trails.

I think I will start a separate thread covering Zona Zero & Cycling in the Pyrenees etc, but for now here are a couple of pics taken this afternoon where we are creating a new single-track using an ancient sheep path through the forest . . . .

Wow that is awesome..you sure are part of the community, an with the exception of one or 2 individuals in divot sounds like an awesome community.

We can get past the odd one or two Gen, no problem.

The overwhelming attitude towards us is one of friendliness and acceptance and we're not going to let one or two people spoil that.

Finally !!!

We have been told that our planning application is fully approved and permission has been granted! We will receive the temporary "certificate of license" tomorrow by registered post and then the official certificate once we've paid the council their fee. (which is hopefully not to much!)

We can now go back to the bank - who agreed with our business plan "in principal" but could not proceed with our building loan application without the building license being issued.

#sighofrelief

Finally !!!

We have been told that our planning application is fully approved and permission has been granted! We will receive the temporary "certificate of license" tomorrow by registered post and then the official certificate once we've paid the council their fee. (which is hopefully not to much!)

We can now go back to the bank - who agreed with our business plan "in principal" but could not proceed with our building loan application without the building license being issued.

#sighofrelief

*reaches for the bubbly*

This is the best news I have heard in a long time

Congrats... almost there..