• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It rained all last night and so today the snow has cleared a bit.

Ramon cleared the road from our houses to out of the village this morning so that we could get out in the car.

We went and had a look around - the big roads are all clear. The local council must have worked flat out to get it all done. I know they are used to  bit of snow, but hats off to them for effort. 

Good to know that when an Atlantic Snowstorm hits us, we're only stuck for a day :-)

That confirms the weather waiting for me on Monday in the Basque country :)1519829405_420495_1519829671_portadilla_

Weather is lovely over our way this week . . . Hope it's the same where you are!

Weather is lovely over our way this week . . . Hope it's the same where you are!

Yip, between 8 and 10 deg C during the day in Vitoria. I managed to get in a 4hr walk around the city on Monday before the work started...I got caught in some rain, damn the rain is cold! Like small ice pods falling from the sky! (not hail and not snow yet).

Our S.A rain is typically warm in JHB, so that was a little unexpected. 

Stupid question, but does the snow not pancake a car at a certain point?

Uncompacted snow weighs about 100kg per cubic metre. So it would take a LOT of snow to squash a car.

After a week of working flat out at one of our local campsites, bad weather stopped play for a few days. Then my son was over from the UK for a week.

Now I'm back at work - preparing the campsite ready for opening time just before Easter.

The boss' daughter, who takes care of the admin and cleaning side of things, asked Wendy if she'd be interested in helping out for a while too, so she's joined me there :-)

We are both currently "employed" . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

If you live in Spain and you want to drive legally you need to have a Spanish driving license - so we've started the ball rolling for exchanging our UK licenses for Spanish licenses.

You can live here for a period of time before you need to change your license, but we're almost at the end of that period now.

Hopefully it will be a painless exercise. . . .

Hi

Awesome thread guys. Best of luck with the new venture. Keep the pictures coming.

Good luck.

aVenge aka Faisal

After 5 weeks of garden & building maintenance at the "Ainsa Camping" campsite, this week the site opened for Easter. (Holy Week - or Semana Santa as they call it).

Yesterday a few customers arrived, lots more today and by tomorrow night I believe they're going to be full.

It's been fun - hard work, but good to be bringing in some Euros, and it looks like the owners are going to offer us both contracts for the summer season.

Going back to work now so that we can check all the outside lights and timers are set up correctly and working. . . .

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days off of work now at "Camping Ainsa" thanks to the rainy weather. Most of what we're doing is outside at the moment.

We did a big Prep of the site grounds and the 27 chalets for a month leading up to Easter ("Semana Santa" here in Spain) and then the site was open for a week or so over the Easter weekend. Now it's closed again until the begining of May and we're doing more prep work. Then it opens through until the end of September.

I'm enjoying the job and it's good to have some money coming in. Trying to improve my Spanish "as I go along". My boss, Juan (the owner), is using the famous English method of just repeating the same word over and over with increasing volume until I say "OK I understand" ;-)

Andrea helped prepare the chalets before Easter but won't be going back during the season. She's going to rather concentrate on trying to get done all the things we need to do to keep our project going while I'm at work - lots of paperwork, a new business plan, applying for Spanish Temporary Residence and then Permanent Residence, sorting Spanish Driving Licences and liasing with the builders once we get going. Plus she has to look after me, which is no easy job at the best of times!

Onwards and upwards . . . . :-)

Edited by Bonus

• 2 weeks later...

Nice link. I'll read it properly over the weekend.

I'm pretty sure I saw these guys ride past me along the river track the other day. I saw a large group pass by and the weather looks the same as it was then.