Dome 2 Dome and Race for Victory 2015

Prince

Absolutely. The venue was rubbish and I was dirty before I parked my car, toilets were disgusting beyond a joke, marshaling was non existent, water tables were a joke, and safety was an afterthought, and not even a drink at the end not to mention a medal. For R350, not again from me that's for sure.

It is actually a pity.  It used to be very well organised!!

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok rant over now

had a decent race got dropped by the first hill after we turned right at the caves, made my way back just before hekpoort when they attacked again :(

Luckily Jarryd myself and 2 Randwater guys worked together, as we turned right into the headwind our group grew with almost ten peeps, got peed of with 4 km to go as no one wanted to work anymore so I went alone

Grabbed my coke filled bottles and went looking for the mrs as it was her first race since her terrible sickness. Caught them at the turn where the headwind started, we picked up close to 50 guys on that stretch of road to the finish. 

All and all goo day out 200km in the saddle and I helped a bit of peeps out so feeling good

Ok so I wasn't the only one to get blown sideways when the silver 911 turbo was being chased by the black M6 and then the white CLK63 playing catch up. The only good thing about that experience was the noise from those million rand machines but otherwise I k@kked myself.

Absolutely. The venue was rubbish and I was dirty before I parked my car, toilets were disgusting beyond a joke, marshaling was non existent, water tables were a joke, and safety was an afterthought, and not even a drink at the end not to mention a medal. For R350, not again from me that's for sure.

Completely agree with you, I parked my car on the road, no way was I going to drive into that dust bowl. But I had to walk through the red dust to get to the start. My bike is white and is immaculately clean. Not after going through that red dust. White Nike socks, ruined. Not a major issue but still irritating. White cycling shoes, still being soaked to get the red dust out. Hopefully these can come clean. At the end had to go through the same red dust to get a medal and a coke. (at least I got one but they ran out of ice)

Marshalling piss poor and in places non existent, route not great. 

Up to this year the Dome 2 Dome was a must do on my calendar, this edition was nowhere near the standard from previous years. If the venue is in the same place, I am not sure I will do this race next year. 

My race time and position in group was great so I am not complaining about my ride, just venue, route an marshalling.

most road races are overpriced, organisers put on **** events so then, cannot attract enough participants, so then they allocate the overheads (bloated) between the few riders who attend.

mountain bike races cost half for most one day races, take a lot more effort to put together and and are run far better.

simple law of demand and supply should apply, if less people attend organisers will be forced to change the formula. if we are stupid enough to pay R350 for no road closure, bad marshals, bad venue etc then we have our selves to blame, 

I was told last year to stay away from the subsequent event for exactly these reasons. Man, now I'm even more happy I didn't go! 

compared to other smaller races like the fast one and ride for site, this didn't even come close. But I think someone made a lot of money today, and then they wanted to charge 10bucks to park on top of it, although no one asked for it when I left.

I can't work out what the R10 was for. Surely the venue is included in the price - especially if no alternative is allowed. I did see bike marshalls but I never saw one with AL.

compared to other smaller races like the fast one and ride for site, this didn't even come close. But I think someone made a lot of money today, and then they wanted to charge 10bucks to park on top of it, although no one asked for it when I left.

After the 947, the Ride for Sight is the biggest race in GP (in terms of numbers).

You lucky, I had to pay the 10 bucks to leave the dust cloud.

You lucky, I had to pay the 10 bucks to leave the dust cloud.

Shame, who else saw the accident at the entrance? Dude in a ML with a BMC and I think a KTM on the back got rear ended by a corrola. Both bikes stuffed from what I saw. The BMC was like moulded into the back door. Bad start to his day.

Shame, who else saw the accident at the entrance? Dude in a ML with a BMC and I think a KTM on the back got rear ended by a corrola. Both bikes stuffed from what I saw. The BMC was like moulded into the back door. Bad start to his day.

Ya shame those bikes were destroyed. But there was some poss poor marshaling at the entrance in the morning that I'm pretty sure led to that incident.

Also saw that, k@k start to their day, shame.

Myself and the rest of the club thought the venue was poor, not much effort was put into that and no beer for sale. Trailseeker entries are R220, D2D was R350 and the organization, race venues and hospitality are worlds apart so I think D2D needs to get back to the drawing board if they want to keep the riders interested.

Other than that, it was a tough day on the bike in AL, wind was tough and that last climb hurt like hell. As for the martialing, AL had a lead car the whole way.

Don't think I'll be back at this race in a rush.

Archived