Hey guys,

I know there aren't too many places left to do this, but where can one ride alone SAFE in and around Cape Town area?

If you're talking MTB: Table Mountain. Get your timing right (4pm onwards) and the mountain is crawling with cyclists, walkers and runners. 

In general: just ride, bud. I've had some nasty incidents (off the bike), and I continue to do things that I enjoy. I'm much more aware of my surroundings now, and I trust my instincts.

I ride alone all the time, places I avoid:

Redhill up from Scarborough, dont mind going down at 60 km/h, dont feel comfortable grinding up at 12km/h.

Rocket road (llandudno/hout bay) and Sandy Bay.

I stopped riding up to the mast this year because of a few incidents. Tokai is closed now anyway.

Woodstock.

The Urban part of the bike lane out of Town, never had any issues personally, just dont feel secure there. There's no real escape routes. 

As ever, eyes and ears open, common sense and alertness on.

I ride the loop from Claremont area down main over boyes, simonstown to cape point through scarbourogh round kommetjie point back thru fishoek or chappies then turn around in houtbay and back to fishoek and back via boyes

perfectly fine to ride alone as you never are - there are always other cyclists

stay off redhill

stay out off campsbay (road works etc) its tight and dodgy

and stay off the cycle trail in lower Woodstock (muggers etc )

Cycle lane from Lagoon beach to Blaauberg ,then on to Melkbos ,Koeberg Nat. Reserve and back

Apparently someone was mugged there too but don't have deets

We have a lekker spot here in Bloem that I ride every night, but not going to make it public :ph34r:

Redhill up from Scarborough, dont mind going down at 60 km/h, dont feel comfortable grinding up at 12km/h.

I stopped riding up to the mast this year because of a few incidents. Tokai is closed now anyway.

Woodstock.

The Urban part of the bike lane out of Town, never had any issues personally, just dont feel secure there. There's no real escape routes. 

i don't have a problem riding there. i know it's got a community right there but wasn't aware it was a hotspot. keep your eyes open and you could always just turn and blast back down worst case scenario

Woodstock.

Ride past there (Red Hill) pretty often and have never had an issue what so ever. Always alert though as I learnt from my experience of being robbed passing Masipumelele.

i don't have a problem riding there. i know it's got a community right there but wasn't aware it was a hotspot. keep your eyes open and you could always just turn and blast back down worst case scenario

Have heard about one incident a while back but not to sure of the details. That said I've always felt safe there and I don't know of any other incidents happening there. Edited by Mntboy

I ride the loop from Claremont area down main over boyes, simonstown to cape point through scarbourogh round kommetjie point back thru fishoek or chappies then turn around in houtbay and back to fishoek and back via boyes

perfectly fine to ride alone as you never are - there are always other cyclists

stay off redhill

stay out off campsbay (road works etc) its tight and dodgy

and stay off the cycle trail in lower Woodstock (muggers etc )

That's a lekker route, bru. What's that distance-wise? Approximately a 120km's? Only place that'll be dodgy imho is Masipumelele as I got robbed there once. Taught me to never ride with my wallet.

That's a lekker route, bru. What's that distance-wise? Approximately a 120km's? Only place that'll be dodgy imho is Masipumelele as I got robbed there once. Taught me to never ride with my wallet.

the distance without chappies is about 100 and that is the only dodgy bit pedal fast and keep your eyes open :ph34r:

yeah riding with a wallets not such a hot plan ( you hear that Hairy :w00t: )

the distance without chappies is about 100 and that is the only dodgy bit pedal fast and keep your eyes open [emoji14]h34r:

yeah riding with a wallets not such a hot plan ( you hear that Hairy :w00t: )

Ja best to use that area as a sprint zone. Wallet is a no no but I do carry cash but concealed so I don't make myself a target. Hopefully this'll make Hairy think a bit about not doing it.