The Spruit Upgrades - Thanks to the Fairies

Paul Ruinaard

I'll redirect the question, but the intent of chatting about it is that I'd prefer not to mess with someone else's trail build.

Buddy, most of the so-called "Spruit fairies" you are referring to are either living in New Zealand or moved down to KZN / Cape Town. The trails are now being maintained by Jozi trails. The original Spruit fairy is still involved, but only in a limited way.

If the original Spruit Fairies and their friends did not cut down the tree that fell over that section of the trail a couple of years ago, you would not be having this conversation, as you would be riding in the street. ( the piece of tarmac on the left of your picture.)

Start a new thread complaining about Hollard / Joburg parks and Jozi trails. Leave the "Spruit fairies" out of this; they might have built the jump, but they had nothing to do with the signage.

Alternatively do the opposite of what the trail builders did when they got bored with flat single track...spend your own time and money and demolish the jump.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went riding at my local spot this past weekend, and discovered an offshoot from the main trail. It was pretty hidden in the forest, and is still being built, but what I found interesting was the signage (hot topic on this thread  :ph34r: :lol: ).

Behold Exhibits A, B & C

post-10758-0-53805300-1564523469_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-84581300-1564523489_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-53213700-1564524011_thumb.png

The premise of the sign is simple... "DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T RIDE IT".

This is at the first obstacle in the line. These trail builders trust in the fact that common sense will prevail, and I'm sure 99% of the time it does.

Is the sign clearly visible and readable while trundling down the trail... No. But that's because the intent is for the rider to assess the trail for themselves and not focus on sign reading. Once the rider realizes the trail is beyond their ability they stop and look for an easier option. That is when they encounter the sign which suggests that maybe this trail isn't the best for them and that they should ride within their ability.

Furthermore is the stress that the trail must not be altered by riders simply because it exceeds their skill level (something which often happens on the Spruit).

Edited by patches

• 4 weeks later...

what more can you do if the trail is CLEARLY marked? The sign is there with clear indication of danger. 

Anywhere else it would be more than sufficient and if you injured yourself at that said place as you would be responsible for your own safety. Now that there is no one set person/company responsible, we try find someone and come up with all the reasons to not have this feature on the trail. You enter a park at your own risk, even to just walk through Delta, its at your won risk!

If you were walking through a park and there was a big ditch, you dont try go around and now fall in as you dont read the signs or pay attention, whos fault is that? Its yours!! same applies here for riding the spruit.

Glad to see the sproot is still alive and being ridden.

Been one or two entertaining  threads about said sproot in the past ...

Regardless, well done to the faeries that keep the stoke alive. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Hubbers,

I'd like to do a ride from Riverside(where they start the Park Run) shops to Emmarentia and back on Sunday morning. We'll go past DHL/Pick 'n Pay. I know this is a little hot spot for crime, would three of us be safe at around 07h00?

Hello Hubbers,

I'd like to do a ride from Riverside(where they start the Park Run) shops to Emmarentia and back on Sunday morning. We'll go past DHL/Pick 'n Pay. I know this is a little hot spot for crime, would three of us be safe at around 07h00?

100%

Edit: I should elaborate - we run through there all the time, they're a very friendly bunch if you just say hi.

Edited by CBlake

Hello Hubbers,

Hi, I ride that same route on weekends (around 7:30 to 8am) on my own for many years now and I have never had any issues. It gets fairly busy in the mornings and even more so as we move into summer. I plan to ride that section tomorrow morning.

you should be fine hey, doubt you will be the only ones on the trail anyway.

If you are really not comfortable you can get off the Spruit at Peter Place, sneak along William Nicol and jump back on after the bridge by pick n pay. But I wouldn't even bother

I live in Sunninghill and I'm keen to try the Spruit for the first time on Saturday morning. It's close enough for me to just join somewhere behind/next to the Chilli Lane shopping centre or on Witkoppen. I've read conflicting reports of it being a bit dodge in some places.

Is it safe enough to ride alone as a first timer? Or should I go to a starting place that is more popular?

From Sunninghill, probable easiest to go up Witkoppen, across N1 on Cambridge, then down cowley/12th and join at the bottom there.

Never ideal Riding alone but that being said I have and do ride it alone often, but always be aware and if you feel uncomfortable rather turn around and head home. 

It is all well mapped on opencyclemap, otherwise dig around strava and download a gpx file...

I live in Sunninghill and I'm keen to try the Spruit for the first time on Saturday morning. It's close enough for me to just join somewhere behind/next to the Chilli Lane shopping centre or on Witkoppen. I've read conflicting reports of it being a bit dodge in some places.

Is it safe enough to ride alone as a first timer? Or should I go to a starting place that is more popular?

As it is your first time, park at Sprocket&Jack and ride south to Delta and Emmarentia and then north to the PnP to get a feel of it.

As it is your first time, park at Sprocket&Jack and ride south to Delta and Emmarentia and then north to the PnP to get a feel of it.

I would suggest this as well. North of the Pick 'n Pay is pretty boring. Much more exciting jump and berm lines further south  :thumbup:

• 10 months later...

The jumps in the spruit are simply amazing!

Is it all the work of jozi trails, or is it someone else building?