"Would you wait" unwritten rules of mountain biking

Slowbee

Nobody can realistically expect somebody to stop and help during a pro XCO race surely? even an amateur one. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine Absolon waited for Nino on Sunday,..well, he wouldve been 2nd then.

Maybe this is the reason that it went from Kleihans/Lakata to Schuter/Absalon?

Just imagine Abs waited for Schu.... Abs might be unemployed today

f^kit, no wayz in hell I'm waiting around if I know my competition is stronger.

Very interesting. Mid pack and back, stop for sure to help, check etc. At the sharp end, I wouldn't know as I've never been there.

But I suspect in real hairy chest races like the Dakar even the top guys will stop to check on a crashed rider. But they generally get the time spent back.

Wow! A comment of mine started a completely new Fred! Yoh????...to be totally honest,...Lekata or Absolon.....no ways I would've stopped, stuff that, I want that first free Coke bru!!

Imagine Absolon waited for Nino on Sunday,..well, he wouldve been 2nd then.

Maybe this is the reason that it went from Kleihans/Lakata to Schuter/Absalon?

Fair point but people need to remember that there are differences between the types of racing under discussion here and the differences in reaction to a crash by a major player (Schu/Kleinhans) in the race. In both instances the reaction from the other major player (Abs/Lakata) was a correct one ito sportsmanship and a sense of fair play. Schu paid the price for a risky move close to the end and blames the race loss on himself and not Abs. Although I'm sure Abs checked in on Schu afterwards to make sure he's ok.

In the Lakata/Kleinhans case Lakata stopping makes sense because of the point to point format of XCM racing. There may not have been race officials close by to call for medics should Kleinhans have needed them. Lakata made a call based on a 'what if' and still got a just reward out of it.

Once again both Lakata and Abs made the right call in respect to their race situation.

The Pros do it for a living. The rest of the Stravassholes are a legend in their own lunchtime.

Fair point but people need to remember that there are differences between the types of racing under discussion here and the differences in reaction to a crash by a major player (Schu/Kleinhans) in the race. In both instances the reaction from the other major player (Abs/Lakata) was a correct one ito sportsmanship and a sense of fair play. Schu paid the price for a risky move close to the end and blames the race loss on himself and not Abs. Although I'm sure Abs checked in on Schu afterwards to make sure he's ok.

In the Lakata/Kleinhans case Lakata stopping makes sense because of the point to point format of XCM racing. There may not have been race officials close by to call for medics should Kleinhans have needed them. Lakata made a call based on a 'what if' and still got a just reward out of it.

Once again both Lakata and Abs made the right call in respect to their race situation.

Jinne bru ma jys tegnies huh ????

AND what is the general view on stopping for a technical vs a fall?

at the top end of the race...not the backmarker end...

My opinion (just as I think IF you over cooked a tech section and paid the price...IF your equipment failed...bad luck for you and good luck for your opponent - next time the roles can be reversed..)

In a marathon race it also makes sense to stop and wait for someone as you two can draft each other for the remainder of the longer distance. So there is a good reason to wait over and above the sportsmanship.

In XC taking risks vs crashing is part of the game.

In order to finish first one must first finish.....

I think in any pro sport yes there's rivalry but these people become good friends because they spend a lot of time together, He might have been truly concerned regardless of the race....  

never mind waiting for you to get up for the right amount of cash i would ride over you, I dont think MTB pays well enough for you to play the good guy.

Archived