User Review: Shimano XTR Di2

GrantRH

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice first review grant. I think I saw your bike being fitted out with it actually, don't think too many people have it yet, so probably was yours.

I remain a bit sceptical, price tag aside, and that from an electrical engineer too. No real reason I can pin my skepticism down to, perhaps just not a bleeding edge kinda guy.

Enjoy it though, always nice to have new bike stuff to spend loads of cash on...I can certainly relate!

Nice first review grant. I think I saw your bike being fitted out with it actually, don't think too many people have it yet, so probably was yours.

I remain a bit sceptical, price tag aside, and that from an electrical engineer too. No real reason I can pin my skepticism down to, perhaps just not a bleeding edge kinda guy.

Enjoy it though, always nice to have new bike stuff to spend loads of cash on...I can certainly relate!

I hear you! I was initially thinking that I would give it a year for any teething issues to be sorted out. I then read up on other reviews and realised - shimano have taken +-5 years since the Di2 dura ace to release the XTR version. When it was finally released, they released it on the world stage at a World Cup event. Since then the pros have adopted it (yes, I get it that they are paid to use it). There is far too much invested for Shimano to get this wrong. So I took comfort from all of that and took the leap of faith sooner than I expected.

But it is still early days. I will post update reviews over the course of the year and after testing events. I would appreciate any other comments, good or bad, from others with the Di2.

Cudos for the review, many happy miles.

Re the price, at least there is some value behind it: the advanced technology, the ease of shifting and maintenance etc. A lot of money gets spent by cyclists on things with less value - like price premiums on frames from traditional manufacturers that is now made in China, shades with plastic lenses and plastic frames etc.

Edited by Christie

Saw diagnostics and setup being done from a computer today, very impressive but quite intricate .....

Man I love new technology even though I'll probably not afford it in my lifetime.

Nice review, thanks.

post-271-1433952964,6137.jpg

Saw diagnostics and setup being done from a computer today, very impressive but quite intricate .....

Man I love new technology even though I'll probably not afford it in my lifetime.

Nice review, thanks.

IMG-20150610-WA0001.jpg

Ben, you're an IT oke bru, if it's intricate for you then how the hell would I understand it!?

300kms?

Well that rules out using this on a 36one cycle tour that takes, about 34 hours (for some of us)

300kms?

Well that rules out using this on a 36one cycle tour that takes, about 34 hours (for some of us)

Unless you are prepared to exchange batteries mid-race then the Di2 is not for the 36one. It is also a problem if you are thinking about the Freedom Challenge.

Bear in mind that Shimano is not targeting those elite events. It is targeting the Epic crowd who can handle dropping R60k on a race, or +R100k on a bike. Once Shimano recovers the R&D costs of the Di2 XTR, I think we will then see the trickle down to XT.

But do yourselves a favour, if one of your mates offers you a test ride with Di2, grab the chance. Even if it is 2 minutes around the parking lot, amplify that by 5 hours in a saddle over tough terrain. That price tag becomes digestible quite quickly.

Nice review, thanks.

attachicon.gifIMG-20150610-WA0001.jpg

I would hope not? Otherwise its a backwards step IMO... One of the biggest draw cards for me would be the ease of user interaction, including setup etc...

I would hope not? Otherwise its a backwards step IMO... One of the biggest draw cards for me would be the ease of user interaction, including setup etc...

My LBS set the settings. I simply played with the software because I can. You don't have to go near the software settings if you don't want to. I just like exploring and tinkering.

But if you want to, you can change everything from shifting speed to volume of the display beep. It is up to the user.

Sorry guys I meant intricate in so far as the software controlling the group set, from an 'operator' point of view it looks pretty simple ..... fault finding, fine tuning, firmware updates etc.

Sorry guys I meant intricate in so far as the software controlling the group set, from an 'operator' point of view it looks pretty simple ..... fault finding, fine tuning, firmware updates etc.

Yes. Sounds better.  :thumbup: .

Now I just need to hook it up to a solar panel on my back for the Freedom Trail...

Edited by Ryanpmb

I'am slavering now.I think shimano will pay you for a review like this.Enjoy all those miles.........