Cycling Cecilia cork tree trail

Toby Adams

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they announce something that's still in discussions and hasn't received full go ahead?  Agreed in principal is not a firm agreement.

Why not?

I wonder if they are doing anything and where the process is. They could communicate this and take ownership of the process too.

That would require pro-active engagement with the public of course and is wishful thinking no doubt. Good public relations 101. 

So to bring us back on point and summarize even more than DJR:

OP was riding a trail that he's not allowed to be on, whether a blind eye was turned in the past or not - it's not allowed.  End of story.

He was pulled over and fined, and is now whining about it.

We're not in NZ.  We have a bureaucratic organisation in charge of the land and its an uphill battle to get permissions to do anything.  Riding where you're not meant to be is making the situation more difficult for everybody.

I personally see no reason at all why I can't ride the jeep track around Ou Wapad and Noordhoek Peak, but it's not allowed so I don't go there.  What's the difference?

I have zero sympathy for the OP.

Tell me about it  - I have been riding there and in the Green Belts for decades and now all of a sudden these Johnny come lately's are causing problems and attracting all sorts of attention on our dreadful illegal activities. I feel like a Rhino poacher now. 

Tell me about it  - I have been riding there and in the Green Belts for decades and now all of a sudden these Johnny come lately's are causing problems and attracting all sorts of attention on our dreadful illegal activities. I feel like a Rhino poacher now. 

:clap:  :whistling:

So to bring us back on point and summarize even more than DJR:

OP was riding a trail that he's not allowed to be on, whether a blind eye was turned in the past or not - it's not allowed.  End of story.

He was pulled over and fined, and is now whining about it.

We're not in NZ.  We have a bureaucratic organisation in charge of the land and its an uphill battle to get permissions to do anything.  Riding where you're not meant to be is making the situation more difficult for everybody.

I personally see no reason at all why I can't ride the jeep track around Ou Wapad and Noordhoek Peak, but it's not allowed so I don't go there.  What's the difference?

I have zero sympathy for the OP.

But that's just it, there is no reason people cant be riding ou wa pad and silver mine, none at all. Jonkers has been up and running for months now. But we must sit like a bunch of sheep waiting till they say its okay?

Same with Tokai, we were told time and time again to be patient and let things happen...nothing of significance has happened in the last few years. We had even less trails than in previous years before it burnt down. And I'm not saying its from lack of trying from tokai mtb side.

Same with Cecilia, the cork trees trail would not be there if people weren't riding it, I have never seen anyone walking there. There would be no track to ask for access to. People didn't just recently start riding there when tokai brunt down, I have ridden it long before that and have even been greeted by rangers when exiting the trail.

They have agreed that they want to open the trail and it should happen in due course. Why start fining people when the trail should be opened and the mtbers aren't affecting any other users? Instead of trying to speed the process up they would rather waste time and money. If I ride there and get a fine then so be it, I wont kick up a fuss and swear at them because yes I'm in the wrong but stumped if I know why because it makes no sense

Edited by Slapsock

But that's just it, there is no reason people cant be riding ou wa pad and silver mine, none at all. Jonkers has been up and running for months now. But we must sit like a bunch of sheep waiting till they say its okay?

Same with Tokai, we were told time and time again to be patient and let things happen...nothing of significance has happened in the last few years. We had even less trails than in previous years before it burnt down. And I'm not saying its from lack of trying from tokai mtb side.

Same with Cecilia, the cork trees trail would not be there if people weren't riding it, I have never seen anyone walking there. There would be no track to ask for access to. People didn't just recently start riding there when tokai brunt down, I have ridden it long before that and have even been greeted by rangers when exiting the trail.

They have agreed that they want to open the trail and it should happen in due course. Why start fining people when the trail should be opened and the mtbers aren't affecting any other users? Instead of trying to speed the process up they would rather waste time and money. If I ride there and get a fine then so be it, I wont kick up a fuss and swear at them because yes I'm in the wrong but stumped if I know why because it makes not sense

Flippit not another common sense post on this thread...

But that's just it, there is no reason people cant be riding ou wa pad and silver mine, none at all. 

I heard an interesting point about the silvermine closure. The fire trucks which fought the fire from the JT would spray as far as they could to contain the fire, leaving all the high growth along the road unaffected and not burnt to ash like the rest of the area.

In the weeks following the fire, small animals return to start again but can only find shelter in the remaining bushes on the road. They need the shelter for their safety as cycling circling birds of prey would take easy pickings out in the open. 

Now reopen that area before anything has been reestablished for people/bikes/dogs to walk/ride/run along the road, suddenly the small animals are being chased out of the only shelter out into the open, making reintroduction near impossible.

But that's not all. Tokai is closed, S'mine east is closed, imagine the saturation of traffic moving along one route. Brings new meaning to "nowhere to hide".  

See, from our perspective, there is no danger to us.

Edited by (Deon)
I'm a cyclist, what can I say??!

well unless those small animals are no threat then yes!

I heard an interesting point about the silvermine closure. The fire trucks which fought the fire from the JT would spray as far as they could to contain the fire, leaving all the high growth along the road unaffected and not burnt to ash like the rest of the area.

In the weeks following the fire, small animals return to start again but can only find shelter in the remaining bushes on the road. They need the shelter for their safety as cycling birds of prey would take easy pickings out in the open. 

Now reopen that area before anything has been reestablished for people/bikes/dogs to walk/ride/run along the road, suddenly the small animals are being chased out of the only shelter out into the open, making reintroduction near impossible.

But that's not all. Tokai is closed, S'mine east is closed, imagine the saturation of traffic moving along one route. Brings new meaning to "nowhere to hide".  

Thing is that the same thing happened at Jonkers. Jeep tracks and some single track is open however. I drove Ou Kaaps this weekend. There is tonnes of fresh new foliage growing all over the place. The few animals that did survive have plenty of cover and probably even some food now. Anyway, a jeep track  offers no cover and bikes dont ride in the bushes, so.... 

well unless those small animals are no threat then yes!

Thank goodness we don't have lions. Japanese tourists consider those "cute" and are willing to jump from the landi to hug one. Fact!

In the weeks following the fire, small animals return to start again but can only find shelter in the remaining bushes on the road. They need the shelter for their safety as cycling birds of prey would take easy pickings out in the open. 

"as cycling birds of prey"

Do they require a level 4 permit? Sorry couldn't help myself

Thing is that the same thing happened at Jonkers. Jeep tracks and some single track is open however. I drove Ou Kaaps this weekend. There is tonnes of fresh new foliage growing all over the place. The few animals that did survive have plenty of cover and probably even some food now. Anyway, a jeep track  offers no cover and bikes dont ride in the bushes, so.... 

You don't walk with dogs, do you?

;)

"as cycling birds of prey"

Do they require a level 4 permit? Sorry couldn't help myself

doh!

You don't walk with dogs, do you?

;)

I do at times and they have never ever caught anything. Besides, riding could be allowed and dogs kept out. If your argument is sound it would be quite easy for TMNP to justify the selective opening on that basis. 

"as cycling birds of prey"....

Ha ha, lovely "slip" that. :D  No, those have all descended on the front of the mountain (via Cork Oak Alley)

Table Mountain Bikers, on their FB page, made in my opinion, an irresponsible comment at  the end of their post concerning the  Constantia Green Belt

"In the meantime, the status quo in the greenbelts remains. Likelihood of enforcement is minimal due to lack of resources." (June 1 at 10:05am)

This could easily be taken as... go ride the area, you probably won't get caught!