Cycling Cecilia cork tree trail

Toby Adams

There seems to be some confusion as to whether the "cork tree trail" is open to MTB's on a trial basis or not. I was also told by one of the filed rangers that it was the only section open. There is at present no "No cycling" sign at the gate at the end of Southern Cross drive.

I was issued with my 'written notice to appear in court' at the other end of the "cork tree trail". I have an option of paying an admission of guilt of R2500. They will see me in court.

By the way i do have an activity card 

I was previously mugged of all my posession on the trail above the Manganese mine off Chapmans Peak drive in the TMNP area while trail running

What a pity TMNP does not communicate properly and then we would not have this standoff

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be some confusion as to whether the "cork tree trail" is open to MTB's on a trial basis or not. I was also told by one of the filed rangers that it was the only section open. There is at present no "No cycling" sign at the gate at the end of Southern Cross drive.

I was issued with my 'written notice to appear in court' at the other end of the "cork tree trail". I have an option of paying an admission of guilt of R2500. They will see me in court.

By the way i do have an activity card 

I was previously mugged of all my posession on the trail above the Manganese mine off Chapmans Peak drive in the TMNP area while trail running

What a pity TMNP does not communicate properly and then we would not have this standoff

When were you told it was open to cycling? 

When were you told it was open to cycling? 

6 weeks ago by a SANP field ranger, in uniform, at the Southern Cross end of the trail

Can't wait for my day in court, can you imagine a clear thinking magistrate upholding a R2500 fine for cycling in an area where there is obvious confusion about whether it is open or not

6 weeks ago by a SANP field ranger, in uniform, at the Southern Cross end of the trail

Can't wait for my day in court, can you imagine a clear thinking magistrate upholding a R2500 fine for cycling in an area where there is obvious confusion about whether it is open or not

Not really, there isn't *that* much confusion.

Until signage goes up indicating that cycling is allowed we need to stay away.

It would be interesting if you do persue this in court. That might lead to some clarity as regards to TMNP's obligations with sign posting etc.

I don't support the notion of "ride where you like if you can get away with it" but there has to be some balance. TMNP cannot just make there own assumptions as to how the legislation should be interpretted without first getting their ducks in a row. If there as a lack of signposting and contridicary advice given by uniformed rangers - you may have a case.

One thing that I notice in this thread is that the newbies and those with minimal posts are all advocating rouge riding and have a "I can do what I want" attitude, and everyone that's been around for longer is saying the opposite.

So essentially, Hubbers are better people.  Even Deon.

:ph34r:  

Toby A when are you due to appear in court? - please keep us updated as this is going to be very interesting.

Good luck hope it goes well.

What have you been charged with?

I would imagine it'd be trespassing.

I'm interested to know in terms of which legislation the charge is based on? Keep us posted

im totally against illegal riding so please don't take this as a licence to get away with it :wacko:

but im amazed at how quickly you all gave the ranger a genuine id (which you are not obliged to have in your possession at all times) or your genuine id information

its easy really - just lie !   :ph34r:

but despite that DONT ride illegally  :thumbup: 

Not really, there isn't *that* much confusion.

Until signage goes up indicating that cycling is allowed we need to stay away.

It has also be generally allowed by the SANParks in the past.

While not official, most/many officials have allowed it

Edited by Flowta

It has also be generally allowed by the SANParks in the past.

While not official, most/many officials have allowed it

My point exactly - Sanparks management should not be wasting the court time with this.

They are seeking a criminal prosecution - I wouldn't pay the fine, but go and speak to the control prosecutor and tell them you will be appearing and that you will call THEIR/ Sanparks rangers as witnesses who have allowed/ turned a blind eye to the riding there and are now suddenly prosecuting people.

Your only real problem here is waiting at Wynberg court for the best part of the morning.

Sanparks management should be made to wait at court too - as punishment for them.

Sorry if I am irritated - but if this is where Sanparks management are focusing their efforts its a joke.

Which is what I thought was the case.

Not open, stay away so we don't bugger up the prospect of it actually opening.

Agreed, but not all cyclists are aware of this, and assume it's business as usual in terms of previously being allowed.

That being said, if they are on thehub, it is more than likely that they may have seen these warnings