Stage three crash ends Cancellara’s Tour de France

News bot

Fabian Cancellara was whisked off to the hospital for a CT scan shortly after he crossed the finish line of the crash-marred stage three at the Tour de France, and hours later the news confirmed the worst: two transverse process fractures in two vertebrae bones of the lower back.

Click here to view the article

really interesting to see all the mechanics running around with two sets of wheels, then bugger that, lets just get a whole new bike instead.

an when he stands up how he stumbles around. makes football seem like a sissies game.

Agreed nonky, very few others sports can come close to the drive, determination, resilience (toughness) of many a cyclist. Cancellara's crash is one of the worst I've seen with him tumbling through the air. Imagine being able to eventually stand up, get on a bike and later completing the stage with that damage and bruised body? My respect to a worthy man. Tough as nails. :D

Very,very sad.

Jeez, those roadies are tough bastards.

Are there harder sportsmen in any other discipline?

Boxing

I don't get why people want to draw a comparison to footballers, though - there's plenty of hard contact in that sport but its a different product.

Cycling is very straightforward, watts per kg and pain endurance; football is a more complex skilful spectacle, both have appeal and demand different qualities.  A plumber isn't a baker but you need both to make the world more interesting.

I am kind of glad that he is out. My wife makes these weird pervy grunts every time he comes on the television.

Jealousy is a ugly thing -;)

Fabian Cancellara was whisked off to the hospital for a CT scan shortly after he crossed the finish line of the crash-marred stage three at the Tour de France, and hours later the news confirmed the worst: two transverse process fractures in two vertebrae bones of the lower back.

Click here to view the article

Absolutely gutted!  :(

I've played footy and crawled of the field from a bad tackle. Nothing broken.

I've also fractured my wrist and elbow and busted my hip in a cycle crash while commuting to work. Got up brushed myself off and cycled the remaining 10 km with little discomfort. Only felt pain around midday. 

Difference - Adrenaline is an awesome thing. Never felt any adrenaline in a game of footy 

really interesting to see all the mechanics running around with two sets of wheels, then bugger that, lets just get a whole new bike instead.

an when he stands up how he stumbles around. makes football seem like a sissies game.

Football is a sissies game. After the 2010 world cup, I kinda got switched off. Never seen so many (moffies) in my life.

I am kind of glad that he is out. My wife makes these weird pervy grunts every time he comes on the television.

:w00t: