2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see mr nienaber is making enquiries on 29ers in the classifieds  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Well they said if I want to do better than my previous attempts I need to get a lighter and faster bike and I need to loose 10 kg's. 

The bike is the easy option, loosing 10 kg's will take some time, and then I need to start training to make a proper comeback some time.........

I've got a Deuter 22 liter + a Solomon front feeder bag.

Hi Marnitz,

Dankie vir die thread en info.

Waar het jy die Solomon feeder bag gekry? Ek sien OMM maak iets soortgelyks, maar nie in SA beskikbaar nie, ek hoop die feeder bag is.

Hi Marnitz,

Dankie vir die thread en info.

Waar het jy die Solomon feeder bag gekry? Ek sien OMM maak iets soortgelyks, maar nie in SA beskikbaar nie, ek hoop die feeder bag is.

Die Salomon Custom 5 Liter Front Pocket het ek direk van Salomon SA bestel.

http://www.salomon.com/za/product/custom-front-pocket.html?article=329171

http://www.salomon.com/za/ As ek reg onthou is hulle in Durban, maar ek dink jy kan dit deur enige van hulle versprydings takke aankoop CapeUnionmart, Trappers......

Baie lekker sak, kan dit maak pas op enige rugsak en ek gebruik dit vir my kos, kaart/ aanwysings, bril en pille sak. Wanneer jy die fiets in die hoogvoor het pas jy bottel in 'n kantsak, maklike toegang.

Lap ek nou al my geheime uit.....

Die Salomon Custom 5 Liter Front Pocket het ek direk van Salomon SA bestel.

http://www.salomon.com/za/product/custom-front-pocket.html?article=329171

http://www.salomon.com/za/ As ek reg onthou is hulle in Durban, maar ek dink jy kan dit deur enige van hulle versprydings takke aankoop CapeUnionmart, Trappers......

Baie lekker sak, kan dit maak pas op enige rugsak en ek gebruik dit vir my kos, kaart/ aanwysings, bril en pille sak. Wanneer jy die fiets in die hoogvoor het pas jy bottel in 'n kantsak, maklike toegang.

Lap ek nou al my geheime uit.....

baie dankie vir al die info, en geheime.

Die brille en pille deel identifiseer ek nou goed mee :)

Ek sal Salomon SA kontak.

Dankie

IDEA: Freedom Trail - August long weekend

Here's my idea - an open invitation to anyone who wants to join. Obviously easier for local KZN people, but everyone welcome.

The plan is to do a Freedom Trail trip on the long weekend in August (8 – 10th), staying overnight at support stations.

I’ve looked at the map and thinking about starting from Allendale and going from there.

Day 1: Allendale to Ntsikeni (86 km)

Day 2: Ntsikeni to Masakala (86 km)

We could go straight to Allendale on Friday night and start day 1 early Saturday (leave the cars there) and arrive in Masakala on Sunday. Stay overnight at Masakala on Sunday night and drive back to DBN on the Monday public holiday. It’s 300km from Masakala back to DBN.

The only issue is how to arrange for collection at Masakala, esp. if there are a few people. If anyone has any ideas about this, let me know.

Cheers,

Tom

SPRING RIDE TO RHODES 2015 September 18, 19, 20 & 21st start dates

It is a 6-day, 500 km, guided mountain bike ride, with fully catered overnight accommodation and vehicle support along the route.

It starts in Pietermaritzburg and follows the route taken by Trappist monks as they headed into the area previously known as No-man's Land and East Griqualand and then across the Maloti Drakensberg Mountains to the village of Rhodes. Travelling along dirt roads and tracks, it contains extensive sections of single track and cattle track and traverses interesting countryside that is rich in history and culture. The route is not marked, so many riders rely on the riding guardian who is familiar with the route but riders may also navigate their own way by using a set of maps and narrative description.

DAILY STAGES

Apart from the start and finish venues, there are 5 fully serviced support stations where riders will get a meal to eat and a place to sleep. Between them are interim stops which also provide refreshments along the way (usually soup/coffee/tea). The support stations and interim stops are the following:

• 0 km: Pietermaritzburg (Start)
  • 45kms: Minerva Nature Reserve (Interim stop)
  • 103 kms: Allendale Farm (Support station 1)
  • 151 kms: Centocow Mission (Interim stop)
  • 200 kms: Ntsikeni Nature Reserve (Support station 2)
  • 243 kms: Glen Edward (Interim stop)
  • 299 kms: Masakala Guest House (Support station 3)
  • 357 kms: Malekgalonyane (Support station 4)
  • 393 kms: Tinana Mission (Interim stop)
  • 422 kms: Vuvu Village (Support station 5)
  • 475 kms: Rhodes (Finish)

2015 ENTRY

The entrance fee for the 2015 Spring Ride to Rhodes is R8500-00.

The entrance fee covers the following:

• pre-ride dinner in Pietermaritzburg
  • all meals during the ride
  • end of ride dinner in Rhodes
  • accommodation for 7 nights including Pietermaritzburg and Rhodes
  • riding guardian, refreshments and daily transport of bags
  • official ride garment
  • official ride bag (80l kitbag)
  • finisher’s prize – a handmade herdsman’s whip

I could also suggest a few secret path's that you may try in good weather.......

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

SPRING RIDE TO RHODES 2015 September 18, 19, 20 & 21st start dates

It is a 6-day, 500 km, guided mountain bike ride, with fully catered overnight accommodation and vehicle support along the route.

It starts in Pietermaritzburg and follows the route taken by Trappist monks as they headed into the area previously known as No-man's Land and East Griqualand and then across the Maloti Drakensberg Mountains to the village of Rhodes. Travelling along dirt roads and tracks, it contains extensive sections of single track and cattle track and traverses interesting countryside that is rich in history and culture. The route is not marked, so many riders rely on the riding guardian who is familiar with the route but riders may also navigate their own way by using a set of maps and narrative description.

DAILY STAGES

Apart from the start and finish venues, there are 5 fully serviced support stations where riders will get a meal to eat and a place to sleep. Between them are interim stops which also provide refreshments along the way (usually soup/coffee/tea). The support stations and interim stops are the following:

• 0 km: Pietermaritzburg (Start)
  • 45kms: Minerva Nature Reserve (Interim stop)
  • 103 kms: Allendale Farm (Support station 1)
  • 151 kms: Centocow Mission (Interim stop)
  • 200 kms: Ntsikeni Nature Reserve (Support station 2)
  • 243 kms: Glen Edward (Interim stop)
  • 299 kms: Masakala Guest House (Support station 3)
  • 357 kms: Malekgalonyane (Support station 4)
  • 393 kms: Tinana Mission (Interim stop)
  • 422 kms: Vuvu Village (Support station 5)
  • 475 kms: Rhodes (Finish)

2015 ENTRY

The entrance fee for the 2015 Spring Ride to Rhodes is R8500-00.

The entrance fee covers the following:

• pre-ride dinner in Pietermaritzburg
  • all meals during the ride
  • end of ride dinner in Rhodes
  • accommodation for 7 nights including Pietermaritzburg and Rhodes
  • riding guardian, refreshments and daily transport of bags
  • official ride garment
  • official ride bag (80l kitbag)
  • finisher’s prize – a handmade herdsman’s whip

I could also suggest a few secret path's that you may try in good weather.......

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

entered :thumbup:

Well they said if I want to do better than my previous attempts I need to get a lighter and faster bike and I need to loose 10 kg's. 

The bike is the easy option, loosing 10 kg's will take some time, and then I need to start training to make a proper comeback some time.........

No need to loose 10 Kg if you think of my idea, and the pain just lasts breefly.