2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

I nearly forgot, the one oke who rode all the way last year, after years of getting deeply involved every year the race passed his district, he's now directing affairs - talk about properly dealing with your FOMO fears

I guess you're right. I feel a bit like a recovering coke addict going to work for the Medellin Cartel. But hey, you only live once ;)

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest ... and for future generations :-)

1. How heavy is your pack (say excl water)

2. Would a RASA rider carry more than a RTR rider?

3. Is it better to load onto your back or on your bike?

Happy packing :-)

Out of interest ... and for future generations :-)

1. How heavy is your pack (say excl water)

2. Would a RASA rider carry more than a RTR rider?

3. Is it better to load onto your back or on your bike?

Happy packing :-)

I'm not a race snake so don't mind weight. My pack was 4,5 - 5 kg before water

On RASA i carried a few more spares than on RTR - not much difference in weight

I prefer the weight on my bike as I am strong on the portages and prefer to keep my backside comfortable ^_^ . My2c

I'm not a race snake so don't mind weight. My pack was 4,5 - 5 kg before water

On RASA i carried a few more spares than on RTR - not much difference in weight

I prefer the weight on my bike as I am strong on the portages and prefer to keep my backside comfortable ^_^ . My2c

4-5kg is light. I had more like 10 kg for Rasa I started with it all on the back and switched some to my handlebars after Rhodes.

RTR less than Rasa as you will have an idea on the weather for th week, Rasa you can have all kinds of weather.

Location depends on rider less on back is good more comfort. Seatpost bag and especially handlebars can influence bike handling quite a bit(Try it out fullt loaded). Bike bags you need to lift for fences if you get to a high fence on your own easily removable bags that you pass through the bottom with your backpack can be a blessing.

At present on my back around 6kg excl 2L water bladder.

On the bike - Apidura saddle bag - around 3kg.

I'm still looking to see where I can cut back......difficult when you have a 2300km distance ahead of you... :ph34r:

This tragic news has hit the entire Freedom Challenge community hard as we all have great memories of Malcolm, Vossie and Vera and the Minerva stop. We have expressed our sincere condolences to Vera in this very difficult time.

Malcolm, Vossie and Vera have been firm supporters for many years and Vera has assured us that despite this tragedy she and her daughters will still be hosting the Minerva lunch stop.

This tragic news has hit the entire Freedom Challenge community hard as we all have great memories of Malcolm, Vossie and Vera and the Minerva stop. We have expressed our sincere condolences to Vera in this very difficult time.

Malcolm, Vossie and Vera have been firm supporters for many years and Vera has assured us that despite this tragedy she and her daughters will still be hosting the Minerva lunch stop.

Tragic news, local community here in Richmond very saddened by this terrible event.

Wow - stunned.

Just 15 mins ago I was thinking I wonder if I will stop for soup, last time mildly chided (rightly so) by Ben de Lange for sailing past, I was probably fearful of getting to Allendale late as the last time I stopped there one can easily get roped into the fascination of that place, especially if you are that way inclined.

I think the pic below sums up the admiration one has to have for Malcolm Anderson's initiative - Johann (right) could probably have spent two weeks there swapping stories of fixing things. I will be stopping for soup next week .

post-1509-0-45369500-1464335240_thumb.jpg

Very sad. So tragic. Sparing a thought for the family in this difficult time....

At present on my back around 6kg excl 2L water bladder.

On the bike - Apidura saddle bag - around 3kg.

I'm still looking to see where I can cut back......difficult when you have a 2300km distance ahead of you... :ph34r:

eish..bladder?

I much prefer water on the bike. filling a bladder is a schlep, getting it back into the bag is a schlep, not knowing how full it is is a schlepp. (i dragged an empty bladder 2300km - never needed more than my two bottles)

Archived