Nissan Trailseeker #3 Hazeldean

corriekuilder

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I got horribly lost on the marathon route after about 35km. I thought we were in trouble but that was quickly confirmed when Nico Bell came speeding up behind us. Starting in F Batch I thought we were doing well but not that well. We got to the Rosemary hill dirt road and rode all the way back to the turnoff but ended up doing the same "wrong loop". Eventually found the 45 km route and headed to the finish. In total 62km of riding in 3hrs10min. Disappointed in myself but at least got to spend some time on the bike.

Did you communicate this to the timekeepers when they scanned your board after the finish line...?

Baaisikilist were you in MTN Qhubeka kit yesterday on a blue Trek? If so then I'm sure I rode with you for quite some time. I was in the Demacon kit.  

No, I was in red & black Cargo Motors kit. White Tallboy. You can't miss me, my arms are sleeved/tattooed...

Did you start in A or B...?

No, I was in red & black Cargo Motors kit. White Tallboy. You can't miss me, my arms are sleeved/tattooed...

Did you start in A or B...?

Started in A. Guy with big guns in MTN kit. Thought it was you

Dullstroom. The very words strikes fear in my heart at this moment of unfitness. In for marathon and boyf doing ultra. He wants us to do the half for fun. Fun for me will be drinking a bottle of MCC on sat night and sleeping in!

Started in A. Guy with big guns in MTN kit. Thought it was you

I see I finished one place behind you in the overall. Should see you in A batch next race. Taken a few decent races to get my index up. Think I should be there after this one...

Dullstroom. The very words strikes fear in my heart at this moment of unfitness. In for marathon and boyf doing ultra. He wants us to do the half for fun. Fun for me will be drinking a bottle of MCC on sat night and sleeping in!

Using Dullstroom as part of training for an event a month after Dullstroom.........BERG AND BUSH. Going to be a fun weekend......hopefully with well and adequately stocked WPs.

Yesterday was my first event (20kay) and only 4th time on the bike.

Had an absolute blast ! First climb made me wonder what I signed up for when my I started breathing a bit hard after only 1,5 kms but then started pedalling properly and started overtaking people (started in D) and finished in 49:19. My event was on the short side being only 16,5 kms rather than the 20 advertised but I am not going to complain, had a lot of fun and some choice weiss beer afterwards. Looking forward to Juma next week and stringly consudering signing up for 40kay Hakahana, that looks like a tough challenge !

Did you communicate this to the timekeepers when they scanned your board after the finish line...?

Yeah we let the timing guys no. Officially disqualified. Never thought this was possible. I have never been to concerned with GPS routes, but after yesterday's stuff up on my part I really wish I had the route loaded on my garmin.

The change in route made this a much better ride from the start - lots of open jeep track, district road to sort the riders out.  Just about zero congestion in F batch.   :whistling:

But I made a huge mistake.  I assumed that the route would be a regular marathon distance of 70km as published.  At the 65km mark I put the hammer down, thinking I only had to last about 12-14 minutes to the finish.  At the 70km mark I was f_cked, and the race seemed to go on, and on, and on.......  another 7km of desperate spinning just to get myself home. :eek: 

I have to admit, I had a little lie-down for 10 minutes before leaving.      :clap:

Was a lekker ride. I rode the half with the missus. Her first race back after a brief "having a kid... and then another one hiatus". We last did Lion Man in 2011 together.  And after Trans Baviaans last Saturday I was ok with doing 190km less this weekend. :w00t:

Seeing it was her first one back we started right in the back, batch I, of the 40km. I was worried about congestion as I remember how it was when we started out. Luckily, it wasn't that bad. We only had congestion twice, one 15 min stop and one 5 min stop, which wasn't too bad. Having some congestion at the back of the field is unavoidable without making it a dirt roadie race.

I was really impressed with the riders in the back of the field. Spirits were high, people were friendly and out there to have a good time. That's what it's all about. The missus also rode like a machine. Did a 2:38 (including 20 minutes lost due to congestion).

One thing I did notice was all the punctures. I've never seen so many riders next to the road with punctures in my life. I stopped counting in the first 5 kms already. Invest in tubeless, peeps, it'll save you from many a 'puncture ridden spoiled day'.

was a good ride

start was upseting got to the shoot as they told me to start in G. Go there, the guy said I was seeded in A, So the lade at the number collection really screwed me over, then had to go to the desk change to G.

Started with one other guy over the first hill and solo'd from 5 km onwards

But on the results list I see there ended a guy in front of me, he definitely did not start in G, we were only 2 making a break after the first hill. He must have started in another group or took a shortcut, where do I report this?

I liked the route up until 69km, you should really get this distance right, ppl plan their nutrition based on this. Just survived the last 10 km, think I did ok with a 3:25 from the G group

Edited by RastaMan

After getting lost and giving up on the 70km ride; I joined the 45km route back to the finish. I had the leaders of the 45km pass me and I was shocked to see what I would call "cheating". If I am over-reacting then I apologise but the number of corners that these guys cut was eye-opening. My wife and I were dumbfounded when a snacky single track in open veld became a flat out straight line for these guys. Also a wide sweeping turn with no obstacles was also completely ignored and the shortest point was where these youngsters rode. I call them youngsters cause they did not look older than 18 to me.

After getting lost and giving up on the 70km ride; I joined the 45km route back to the finish. I had the leaders of the 45km pass me and I was shocked to see what I would call "cheating". If I am over-reacting then I apologise but the number of corners that these guys cut was eye-opening. My wife and I were dumbfounded when a snacky single track in open veld became a flat out straight line for these guys. Also a wide sweeping turn with no obstacles was also completely ignored and the shortest point was where these youngsters rode. I call them youngsters cause they did not look older than 18 to me.

They don't pay for their own tyres yet...........