First Look: 2016 Giant Anthem X, Reign, TCR and Liv Lust

Nick

That TCR is nice... Stuff Aero, I'm not a tri-guy and most of my racing is in a pack! ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1x11 on TRAIL bikes, just like the Stumpy and the Camber - what gives?

the fact that there's an overwhelming consumer demand for it to be like that would be one reason... 

1x11 on TRAIL bikes, just like the Stumpy and the Camber - what gives?

rider demand and its easier to build fewer bike designs, especially when 29ers need short chain stays to keep them nimble with long front centres. Short chain stays mean theres not much space to pack two chain rings while maintaining a reasonable Q-factor

rider demand and its easier to build fewer bike designs, especially when 29ers need short chain stays to keep them nimble with long front centres. Short chain stays mean theres not much space to pack two chain rings while maintaining a reasonable Q-factor

I understand the technical reasons, chainstay length, weight, complexity etc but how the hell are we going to get the bikes UP TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN?

I understand the technical reasons, chainstay length, weight, complexity etc but how the hell are we going to get the bikes UP TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN?

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/11/06/1226754/247076-d1ac6b9c-468f-11e3-b366-b430cfe3cfdd.jpg

i managed fine on my 34t 11-36 setup on my old reign x... And that thing was not built light. 

I struggled in places (mast climb, sections of the Noordhoek loop, contermans mast climb etc) but you get used to it and adapt. 

The difference in range really isn't that much at all. 

Seriously though…

It's a concern that has crossed my mind in the past as well.  I tried riding a few of my local trails in the gear ratio that a 1x setup would be and the fitness/strength wasn't an issue for me, it was my dodgy knee that started giving in.

When my trusty steed finally gets replaced by a nice trail bike, it would at least need a 2x with a nice big gear at the back.

Edited by Raydek

Seriously though…

It's a concern that has crossed my mind in the past as well.  I tried riding a few of my local trails in the gear ratio that a 1x setup would be and the fitness/strength wasn't an issue for me, it was my dodgy knee that start giving in.

remember though that the the 1x11 would have that marvellous 42t on the back. And tbh if I did go that way I'd get a 30t chainring for the front. My probem atm isn't running out of gearing on the downs, it's on the ups that I have a problem.

remember though that the the 1x11 would have that marvellous 42t on the back. And tbh if I did go that way I'd get a 30t chainring for the front. My probem atm isn't running out of gearing on the downs, it's on the ups that I have a problem.

Yeah, that could work…. My current 1st and 2nd gear has ratios of 0.67 and 0.75 respectively, the above would work out at 0.71, so smack bam in the middle of them and that should be doable...

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/11/06/1226754/247076-d1ac6b9c-468f-11e3-b366-b430cfe3cfdd.jpg

:clap:  :w00t:  - if you could see my SKINNY legs, you would LAUGH!

:thumbup:

Sooooo

I did some browsing last week, and was quoted R33k for the new Anthem X 29'er. Then on Saturday, I saw an Anthem 27.5 with Carbon Front , Alu rear and all the bells and whistles for R32k? But how?

Surely this precludes me spending so much cash on aluminium?

Or, are we now starting to see another major bike brand follow in the footsteps of another major bike brand selling bikes for hugely exaggerated prices?

And there I was looking for a nice full-sus at a respectable price.

Sooooo

I did some browsing last week, and was quoted R33k for the new Anthem X 29'er. Then on Saturday, I saw an Anthem 27.5 with Carbon Front , Alu rear and all the bells and whistles for R32k? But how?

Surely this precludes me spending so much cash on aluminium?

Or, are we now starting to see another major bike brand follow in the footsteps of another major bike brand selling bikes for hugely exaggerated prices?

And there I was looking for a nice full-sus at a respectable price.

Maybe because the Carbon version was 2015 stock, and they're obliged to get rid of old stock to make way for the new? It's called discounting. Common practice in every single industry where there are material goods. 

And Giant cannot be accused of implementing hugely exaggerated pricing. Far from it... 

• 1 month later...