Review: CycleOps PowerSync Indoor Trainer

Matt

If you’re anything like me indoor training can be a bit of a chore, but often the sensible option to supplement training through winter. Even with a decent trainer and the distraction of TVs or iPads, I quickly get bored and uncomfortable. Enter the CycleOps PowerSync and their Virtual Training software.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the powersync any different to the powerbeam? I see it costs less. Very happy they changed the fastening mechanism. The current one is rather crappy

This is by far the best investment I have done to my cycling!

Is the powersync any different to the powerbeam? I see it costs less. Very happy they changed the fastening mechanism. The current one is rather crappy

This is by far the best investment I have done to my cycling!

This is what they say on their website: 

The resistance mechanisms in them are very similar and the main difference is the frame. The PowerBeam Pro has a wider footprint leading to more stability on the trainer and it is also able to fit 29er tires.

while reading the review I was hoping the price would be about 50% of what it actually is... :eek: :thumbdown:

Might be expensive but worth every cent. Also have the Power beam Pro like Jaco, and Joule on its way in the posts to control the resistance without an app. This is really indoor training at its best!!

I have been looking at buying one of these for home use but the sums don't add up for me.

For my money, 2 (or more) years of class training (2 x 6mo x R1k = R12k) with one of the training providers is a better option and my reasons are:

1. I'll actually go in winter (booked class; tangible expense);

2. no extra space required or wasted for 8months i'm riding outside;

3. group riding set-up is more fun than solo riding;

4. proper FTP test and feedback on training;

5. healthy competition (leaderboards etc).

Finally, there's all the hidden costs of data; tablets; subscriptions to online services; wear-and-tear on your bike and so on that are hard to figure into any total cost calc.

Best investment I've made! I do my own interval workouts (as prescribed by my Couch), and on cold/wet days I ride the vitual routes - dis Argus and 94,7 so far. It really motivates me to improve. Over the past two months my Power/Weight has improved from 2,2 to 3,0 (granted, I do leg-gym also once a week). Trainer is inside - so no cold winds down my neck after a workout - straight into the shower.

NO wear-and-tear on the bike - virtually no noice either. FTP calculation is a challenge, but on my last ride (94,7) I improved on it during the ride - system only informed me afterwards of my "achievement".

Best to me is my wife is now also interested and excited about it - and as we do a lot of tandem riding, that is great! Weekends I still play outside - unless if it rains like last Saturday.

Hi

New to the indoor training scene. What is the cost in Rands for CycleOps in this review? & where can I view / buy?

Hi

New to the indoor training scene. What is the cost in Rands for CycleOps in this review? & where can I view / buy?

The cost and some details are at the bottom of the article:

The CycleOps PowerSync is available from Bicycle Power Trading either via their dealers in your area or direct on their website.

Retail price: R11,595

What would you prefer if the price was the same?

a wattbike or a Cycle ops trainer

That's a tough one, I enjoy Wattbike training, but usually in a class environment. The Wattbike also gives more power metrics, e.g. left / right balance. The CycleOps is convenient for me for home use though: it's far easier to store and move between rooms.

If I had the space and budget I'd probably go for both, but given space and budget limitations the CycleOps is my choice for home use. 

As an aside: I enjoyed the CycleOps so much that I opted to purchase it after the review. Initially I too was a bit hesitant based on the price, but after using it I can see that it will be a hugely valuable training tool for me.