ScottCM

I know a guy that trained for a year without looking at his watch or stressing about pace, cadence etc... He wanted to run a BR in 2015... He ran Comrades with his watch in his pocket. He ran an 8:40!  I am very tempted to do the same for the training months coming up until December. Relax a little about my pace and just start enjoying running again. It is getting way too scientific... and Strava is not helping. 

So how many will be running this weekend without looking at your watch?

there is a chap that runs for pdac club that runs without a watch. He has run over 10 silvers. He missed one by literally 5 seconds because of not having a watch!

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a guy that trained for a year without looking at his watch or stressing about pace, cadence etc... He wanted to run a BR in 2015... He ran Comrades with his watch in his pocket. He ran an 8:40!  I am very tempted to do the same for the training months coming up until December. Relax a little about my pace and just start enjoying running again. It is getting way too scientific... and Strava is not helping. 

So how many will be running this weekend without looking at your watch?

i never used to use any technology...  i trained for and completed an ironman one year without a watch at all, not even an old casio.  Didn't even have a bike computer on my bike at the time, so I literally just did what "felt" right and did not measure any stats, no HR, no time splits, no intervals, didn't track weekly hours, distance, nada, nothing...

did it work?

I guess it wasn't terrible, but I must admit that I didn't nearly get to optimal levels of fitness, recovery, speed etc.

strange thing, is I'm not even sure if it was more fun...

I've since gone from zero measurements, to having it all...  I bought a Garmin fenix, stages PM on my bike, running pod and running HR belt etc., so I can literally measure everything and I make an effort to ensure I have my HR monitor on, log my rides and runs etc. every time.

I won't say I'm obsessed, but I do find great enjoyment in the measurable improvements that the statistics provide...  I get motivated when I manage to increase my cadence, drop my HR, improve and map my FTP, check my training against the performance graphs that stravastix / trainingpeaks provides etc...

so for me, I won't be losing the watch any time soon.

Only bother checking my pace for one run a week... the rest I just time. Not sure it really matters, it's nice to know the details, but it's certainly not 'run enjoyment' definining.

It is however nice to know details, to have *** to talk about on running threads and even out on the road - how much it actually changes the bigger picture is I am pretty sure up to the individual.

It's all part of the little game of running - just like discussing the endless shoe options, running styles etc - Do what works for you, do what makes you happy  :thumbup:

I'll be running the 21 on Sunday, looking forward to it being a little warmer.

I start my watch at the beginning of runs/swims/bikes and only really look at it at the end. Its more of a place to store all my training totals. I enjoy reading about the science and looking up data points but to be honest I don't know how to use any of it to make myself any fitter or faster.

Saying that I definitely needed an average-pace meter for comrades. I would never have been able to get through that on 'feeling' alone.

Do you feel the niggle only when running? I am sort of experiencing the same issue. My left calve has a niggle when I run, I don't feel it during the day. 

Hope it is nothing serious

Nope, all day. Worse on the day of a run and then following morning much better. And then today... I had to jump over a puddle, pushed off with the affected right legs, felt something give way behind the knee, there where it's sore. Heard a loud clack with a sharp pain. Hobbled like an idiot. And a minute or so later realised that 90% of my pain is gone now and I can walk normally with minimal awareness of the pain.

Will still go to physio after the weekend entertainment, just to get it properly loosened up before CTM. But feeling much more confident about it now! 

Distance?

Just 21, but my legs are gonna be shot from a 40km Mtb, I struggle to run after a ride... and to boot I haven't been on a bike in quite some time (year plus)  :blush:

Just 21, but my legs are gonna be shot from a 40km Mtb, I struggle to run after a ride... and to boot I haven't been on a bike in quite some time (year plus) :blush:

Put some chaffing cream on, on the day of the run. I did a similar thing and had mild chaffing from the ride, the next days run was hell from about 10ks in.

Most of my runs are in the dark, so checking the watch has little value other than seeing it is still attached to my arm. And a lot of the daylight runs are on trails, so again things like pace flies out the window. 

But I won't go as far as putting it in my pocket! 

Nope, all day. Worse on the day of a run and then following morning much better. And then today... I had to jump over a puddle, pushed off with the affected right legs, felt something give way behind the knee, there where it's sore. Heard a loud clack with a sharp pain. Hobbled like an idiot. And a minute or so later realised that 90% of my pain is gone now and I can walk normally with minimal awareness of the pain.

Will still go to physio after the weekend entertainment, just to get it properly loosened up before CTM. But feeling much more confident about it now! 

My 2c. Old age I think....

I've been struggling with niggles the past year or so:

1. I've had similar problems with my knee. It has never kept my off the road for more than a week. Never had to go to a physio to sort it out. Has always been a "once-off" occurrence.

2. In January I've felt pain where the ITB meets the bone. This I feel for the first 1~2km then once everything has warmed up I'm okay. It now almost feel hard at that connection point. I have something similar at where my right achilles meets the heel (http://www.foot-pain-explored.com/haglunds-deformity.html

3. Since injuring my back about 2 years ago, and resulting nerve damage, my left calve hasn't been the same. On hard/speed sessions I can feel my calve going numb/dead. And most nights I will wake up with the calve in spasm and cramping.

Good luck with your injuries. But I'm pretty sure you will be okay sooner rather than later.

Anybody running Adrienne Hirsch on Sunday? It's going to be a long one for me I reckon

I am running the 21km... going to be a long day for me... same elevation as Athrochoice... and that was one tough race for me. Also not looking forward to the heat. Next week seems to be around 30 degrees in Jhb, with a real feel of around 33....

Anybody running Adrienne Hirsch on Sunday? It's going to be a long one for me I reckon

I'm running, going to be hilliest of the Vitality races. Will be a good one but HOT!

Also entered my first Comrades today..[emoji15]

Welcome to the club!! You won't regret the decision to take part. I truly believe it makes you a better person and it helps you in all different aspects of your life, not just training and running.

Good luck with the preparation!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk