ScottCM

The aim is to increase the stride length and the RPM (steps per minute).

Track Training intervals is a good place to try and work on this. Its flat so downhill will not influence the stride length and its short periods at a time that wont hurt the gait.

Increase the stride, I tried and would've thought decrease to increase the cadence? :wacko:     (Shows why I ended up a bean counter and not something in this field)

For reference, my stats from yesterdays interval training was Ave 161, Max 191 and stride 1.04, vs the Ave 160 and Max 170 and also 1.04 on the normal 10km run

Edited by Jackes

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've entered for my first comrades which also means i will also be doing my first marathon as a qualifier. It seems 2018 will be a year of "firsts" for me,  I hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew.

Comrades has always been on my bucket list but following this forum and reading about everyones journey and stories has helped to make the decision to enter this year.

Increase the stride, I tried and would've thought decrease to increase the cadence? :wacko:     (Shows why I ended up a bean counter and not something in this field)

For reference, my stats from yesterdays interval training was Ave 161, Max 191 and stride 1.04, vs the Ave 160 and Max 170 and also 1.04 on the normal 10km run

So Both average of 160, which shows even though for some strides you attempted to force the cadence (steps per minute) to 190 the natural always went back to 160. and the 1.04 shows that even when you increased cadence you held the same stride length which in essence would make you faster..

160 spm x 1.04= 166.4m per Minute =  6min per km

191 spm x 1.04 = 198.6m per Minute = 5.02 per km at your fastest..

Take my Track session, 10 x 400m intervals from yesterday

The Warm up I was ave 186spm @ ave 1.19m Stride length = 219.5m per Min = 4.40 per km

On Fastest 400m Last rep - 69secs - ave 201spm @ ave 1.76m = 353.7m per Minute = 2.48 per km

Over a raced 21km/Marathon I would generally be at 185-190spm @ 1.36-1.40m Ave Stride Length

Talking stride length, cadence etc... I've got a Fenix 3, should I be getting a Garmin footpod as well? Do you guys find it adds a lot of value?

Talking stride length, cadence etc... I've got a Fenix 3, should I be getting a Garmin footpod as well? Do you guys find it adds a lot of value?

You don't need the Footpod.. Just the HR belt with Running Analytics on it..

Same belt but has a little white stick figure Runner picture on the main central pod. 

If you have that belt with the Fenix 3 you will get all the analytics on Garmin connect.

Attached Image of belt

post-30019-0-15533900-1504687780_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ferret69

Andrew, stock the F3 should be giving you the stride length and cadence info. You should be able to go and view it now on GC.

The other running dynamics coupled to either a footpod or belt should be (and I'm trying to remeber stuff I read a while ago!) ground contact time, left-right distribution, etc. 

While the external measuring will likely be more accurate - and give these other measures - the F3 should give you the ones you talked about. For me, now running without a belt is quite weird and likeable. Still ride with the belt instead of OHR, though. 

So after our daughter was born my running took a backseat to allow my wife to start training again.

To get some structured training she followed the marathon training plan on garmin connect. She mainly ran on the treadmill (up to 2 hours at a time) as it's difficult to be away from the little one for extended periods as she feeds when she wants too(the cot thingy was always next to the treadmill)

This past Sunday was the masters marathon, and to say that I'm super duper proud is an understatement.

144 days after giving birth my superwoman ran a PB marathon of 3h55

Well done! And loads of respect to anyone that can run for 2 hours on a treadmill.

Well done! And loads of respect to anyone that can run for 2 hours on a treadmill.

We did this last year when we started from June for marathon/comrades in the winter.   We did up till 25 kms on the treadmills and it is no jokes.   I could barely make 5 km this winter returning from outside, so serious respect yes.   And bloody well done to her Fanie, that is excellent!!!

Andrew, stock the F3 should be giving you the stride length and cadence info. You should be able to go and view it now on GC.

The other running dynamics coupled to either a footpod or belt should be (and I'm trying to remeber stuff I read a while ago!) ground contact time, left-right distribution, etc. 

While the external measuring will likely be more accurate - and give these other measures - the F3 should give you the ones you talked about. For me, now running without a belt is quite weird and likeable. Still ride with the belt instead of OHR, though. 

Thanks, I do get them... my question (which was very poorly worded I see) was more about if they are accurate relative to a pod. I think I read the pod is better, but maybe that was a while back before the Fenix 3 and all the advancements Garmin has made. I just do wonder how accurate the belt can be with things like cadence, stride length, oscillation etc

I suppose I should just pop onto DCrainmaker when I have a gap, it's probably tested there in depth

Thanks, I do get them... my question (which was very poorly worded I see) was more about if they are accurate relative to a pod. I think I read the pod is better, but maybe that was a while back before the Fenix 3 and all the advancements Garmin has made. I just do wonder how accurate the belt can be with things like cadence, stride length, oscillation etc

I suppose I should just pop onto DCrainmaker when I have a gap, it's probably tested there in depth

Good Point, Id also like to know if the Foot Pod and Belt analytics read very differently

I've used the Left/Right Contact Time a lot on my recovery to see the discrepancy narrowing

Will also Consult DC

Good Point, Id also like to know if the Foot Pod and Belt analytics read very differently

I've used the Left/Right Contact Time a lot on my recovery to see the discrepancy narrowing

Will also Consult DC

S@t, I feel so out of place here with my Suunto. :eek:  :whistling:  :ph34r:

S@t, I feel so out of place here with my Suunto. :eek:  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Must say I miss my Suunto's watch strap the most... the HRM strap was also a bit more comfy in my books. And as a watch it worked a treat for what it did...

But the extra data the Fenix pulls in, the cool apps available and the far superior Garmin Connect app makes me think i will be a Garmin man heading forward. Just need to get a better wrist strap for this bloody Fenix  :ph34r: