ScottCM

with a k to go I knew I had it in the bag and took the foot of the gas to ease in at 3:17:56

splits were pretty even:

0 to 21.1 - 1:37

21.1 to 42.2 - 1:42

All in all  - a PB for me - and a good day out

Would you attribute the PB to the Heart Rate based training program you are following over the pace based programs in the past,or other circumstances which have led to you having better all round fitness levels?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crashes aside, and one setup failure induced knee niggle, riding is such a breeze on the body...

Running on the other hand  :lol: 

Vaal Marathon this Sunday and I'm shooting impressive lumo snot rockets - loaded up on drugs and hoping for the best! :(

Hahaha. Sounds lovely. Get better soon. 

And good luck! 

Edited by EmJayZA

Would you attribute the PB to the Heart Rate based training program you are following over the pace based programs in the past,or other circumstances which have led to you having better all round fitness levels?

difficult to say

I think I was in similar form last year and ran a 3:22 - but the course was about 500m longer than this year. Conditions were the same for both events. This year I did same quantity with lower intensity over a shorter space of time. Last year I did same quantity (but over a slightly longer period) at high intensity.

I did less speed work this year

the main factor however is that My avg HR was lower this year than last year...and at the end of last years race I was flat, but my legs weren't. This year I was strong, but my legs were tired - so I am probably fitter using this program, but I have not done enough strength work (my niggles didnt help that)...and because of that ....I am stiffer today compared to last year

Got an interesting mail regarding research by SSISA and Smartbeat. Seeminglly integrating to your Strava data. But then it takes you to a page where the only "option" is to send an email to them.

Looks interesting, but has anybody taken this up? And also, why so late in training (for OMTOM)?

difficult to say

I think I was in similar form last year and ran a 3:22 - but the course was about 500m longer than this year. Conditions were the same for both events. This year I did same quantity with lower intensity over a shorter space of time. Last year I did same quantity (but over a slightly longer period) at high intensity.

I did less speed work this year

the main factor however is that My avg HR was lower this year than last year...and at the end of last years race I was flat, but my legs weren't. This year I was strong, but my legs were tired - so I am probably fitter using this program, but I have not done enough strength work (my niggles didnt help that)...and because of that ....I am stiffer today compared to last year

This is interesting. Most of what I seem to read these days strays away from HR and favours speed and intensity workouts. 

Glad its worked out, that's a cracking time by the way!

This is interesting. Most of what I seem to read these days strays away from HR and favours speed and intensity workouts. 

Glad its worked out, that's a cracking time by the way!

the general consensus that people cite with moving away from HR based training is that you focus too much on your HR and train while neglecting your actual ability. My theory is that as long as you incorporate time trials, hilll sessions and speed work, then it is ok....

I also am not strict...and just try keep my HR between 2/3 on flats and downs - and just below 4 on uphills

the general consensus that people cite with moving away from HR based training is that you focus too much on your HR and train while neglecting your actual ability. My theory is that as long as you incorporate time trials, hilll sessions and speed work, then it is ok....

I also am not strict...and just try keep my HR between 2/3 on flats and downs - and just below 4 on uphills

Do you use HR on the bike as a main indicator as well? or power or something output related

Do you use HR on the bike as a main indicator as well? or power or something output related

When I actually get the chance to ride...I just ride to have fun!

Does anybody else find it intriguing.

Cycling: Feel a niggle and you bean yourself (The world is going to end) and take time off, don't train or race. Basically become soccer players.

Running: If you are not running with a niggle of some kind you are not training hard enough. Go for a run, feel something getting tight. Keep going for another 10km because that is what you had to do that day. 

If you wake up for a run in the morning, and do not have an ache or pain somewhere, or walk "funny" in some way you are most likely dead...

Or not  training hard enough  :ph34r:

Good luck Ferret. may it be an injury free experience. 

post-46817-0-79205100-1488267884_thumb.jpg

I too will be doing the HM. 1st HM since Birchwood in April last year. Wanted to have a go at a PB this wkn but haven't done any speed work in 6months so will just be going to have a fun time and enjoy it. I'll be to only Wit-O form my virtual club (32GI) doing the HM , so if you see me let me know. 

Good luck Ferret. may it be an injury free experience. 

attachicon.gifVaal HM Route.jpg

I too will be doing the HM. 1st HM since Birchwood in April last year. Wanted to have a go at a PB this wkn but haven't done any speed work in 6months so will just be going to have a fun time and enjoy it. I'll be to only Wit-O form my virtual club (32GI) doing the HM , so if you see me let me know. 

Thanks Scott-M, yep great fast course, ran my 21km PB there last year (76.08) in the height of Comrades training.

Will be a different experience this time just trying to run a comfortable pain free 1h45..  after that 8 weeks to London...

Will look out for you..

We will be in an RAC bus, got my old Training partners to commit to Nursing me round my first race back..

Crashes aside, and one setup failure induced knee niggle, riding is such a breeze on the body...

Running on the other hand  :lol: 

Vaal Marathon this Sunday and I'm shooting impressive lumo snot rockets - loaded up on drugs and hoping for the best! :(

Hope you feel better soon Andrew!! Good luck for Sunday. I am also doing the marathon, stressing about it as if I have never done a marathon before.

Vaal 21 Sunday... 1st race back... Exciting stuff :clap:

Welcome back Ferret!

Howdy gents and ladies,

I have trouble chewing and running at the same time, I need my mouth to breathe, however, if the food I take in is fairly liquid, no problem.

I also have a deep rooted dislike of USN and Goo sachets and even if I stow them in my water belt pocket, they always leach and I end up with sticky hands.

I was hoping we could come up with a reusable, not too bulky suggestion for race fuel in volumes less than a water bottle. I obviously need this only for my training runs, which I conduct mostly alone.

I'm doing a 25km training run the weekend, so will need at least the volume equivalent of 3 Goo's.

Thanks for your input!