ScottCM

It is so difficult to start slowly when you feel like you can do so much more! I did too much too soon and now I am paying the price. I just started getting into running but need to back off and literally WALK before you run!

Respect to all who complete their personal goals and distance. You guys are an inspiration to "noobs" like me! Happy km's all!!

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You come to a point where minutes feels like hours and seconds like minutes. In the beginning gains are easy and quick, but the faster you become the harder it gets.

Sub90 21km is super fast for mere mortals. I can do a 1h45 HM with some ease, but a sub 1h40 is way out of my reach atm. I got my 5km down from 29min to just over 21mins in a few months, but breaking 21mins is just not coming.

I suggest you spend more time on doing some sprint work. Intervals, hill sessions etc. You will see how fast you will go.

Running background fairly rubbish, cycling 4 years swimming 7 years (3 of which at competitive schools-provincial level). 21 years old.

But also thanks for the input. Will be giving it all in training and then see what happens on the day

For what it's worth.... known a few springbok level water polo players and one thing about them all, they could run very fast for some reason... despite spending minimum time running they could easily run 4 min km for short 4 or 5 km events.

For what it's worth.... known a few springbok level water polo players and one thing about them all, they could run very fast for some reason... despite spending minimum time running they could easily run 4 min km for short 4 or 5 km events.

Us polo players are sprinters (not that I am remotely fast), but at that higher level like your friends, their bodies will be well conditioned for rapid acceleration, it's not just shoulders and back, its plenty leg work too... Size doesn't always help though for the longer stuff.

It is so difficult to start slowly when you feel like you can do so much more! I did too much too soon and now I am paying the price. I just started getting into running but need to back off and literally WALK before you run!

Respect to all who complete their personal goals and distance. You guys are an inspiration to "noobs" like me! Happy km's all!!

Hard luck, we've all been there and pretty much owned the T-shirt... running is hard on the body. 

It's not about how fit you are, it's about conditioning the setup to handle that endless jarring.

Coming from cycling seems to be as much of a disadvantage as anything. We think we can, but we can't.

Heal up, we will see you on the flip side... the journey is worth it

I see a Comrades App has been launched... does tracking and everything. Will check it out later when I have a moment  :thumbup:

Ran Weds, legs luckily felt a lot better than Monday, which was a bit of a relief!

Last squash session today until after Comrades

Probably do a 15/20km odd run around Northcliff/Westcliff tomorrow before a lekker pre-Comrades club breakfast on Sunday.

Have a good weekend folks

eish...just been looking at my log...apart from 2 oceans and the deloitte marathon on the 7 May - I haven't done a run over 20 since the beginning of April (week before 2 oceans)

i know I have put in the miles...but that scares me a little

eish...just been looking at my log...apart from 2 oceans and the deloitte marathon on the 7 May - I haven't done a run over 20 since the beginning of April (week before 2 oceans)

Then you are well rested for a fast Comrades :thumbup:

No fear bru! You're ready! You've been super consistent and done some big weeks! You've got this!

last longish run this weekend - 25km

gonna run the new finish from top of pollys.....just to get in the gees

Let us know how the new finish is, I don't know what to expect. 

TRUST in your training! You have done the work, I agree with Tubehunter

We all go thru 10 different emotions on a daily basis regarding training at this point before Comrades (I go thru it as well). Have I done enough? Is that a pain in my calve muscle I feel? Am I getting sick, I just sneezed! I am struggling on a 10km, will I be able to run 87km?

The only thing you should focus on now is getting enough sleep, staying healthy and just to keep the legs moving at a slower pace than normal. Like I said, trust in your training, you have done the hard work. 

It looks like a much better weekend, weather wise in Gauteng. Looking forward to a 15km run up Hill Snacks tomorrow and then our club's 10km bus run (which is a two-hour walk :wacko: ) on Sunday. I will do another 5km afterward. 

My last run is on Wednesday night.... but I will probably run the weekend before Comrades. I just can't sit still...

I will still do a couple of short runs on the beachfront, checking out the surfer tjerries .... :ph34r:  :whistling:

I will still do a couple of short runs on the beachfront, checking out the surfer tjerries .... :ph34r:  :whistling:

Sharing is caring! Take pics ekse... :whistling:

(You can even use me as your get out of jail card with your missus if she busts you taking the pics!)

You're not supposed to do any long runs after Two Oceans...

You're gonna smash this Stretch  :thumbup:

Sharing is caring! Take pics ekse... :whistling:

(You can even use me as your get out of jail card with your missus if she busts you taking the pics!)

I will def use that Card. Will try and get some selfies wit them :clap:  :ph34r:

Your comrades bus drivers are :

Sub-8:30
Sameul Cornelius

Sub-9:00
Johan van Tonder
Sbusiso Mlangeni

Sub-9:30
Claus Kempen

Sub-10:00
Linda ‘The Coach’ Hlophe
Maropeng George Mojela

Sub-11:00