ScottCM

Yesterday I went to a biokinetikist that specializes in running injuries to get to the bottom of my Achilles injury. He diagnosed me with a small partial tear in the Achilles. According to him its not related to running form or over training but due to physical trauma. I have no idea how that happened. Anyway that looks like the end of Comrades. Two weeks of no running and then further evaluation. Will try to get back onto the bike now, for what its worth.

Hard luck, rest up and do everything you can to help it heal and you will be back soon enough.

As a matter of interest have you run while taking antibiotics recently?

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard luck, rest up and do everything you can to help it heal and you will be back soon enough.

As a matter of interest have you run while taking antibiotics recently?

Not at all. The most frustrating thing is thatbI feel absolutely no pain during the day. But as soon as I run It acts up quite badly.

Edited by Mudsimus

o okay, just asking because there are a few articles on certain types of antibiotics causing tendon injuries usually the achilles

. Two weeks of no running and then further evaluation. Will try to get back onto the bike now, for what its worth.

Eish, this is not nice.    Well you never know, perhaps you still toe the starting line!

Eish, this is not nice. Well you never know, perhaps you still toe the starting line!

If a miracle happens and I can run beginning of April I’ll be there. Will just write of March as a rest month????

If a miracle happens and I can run beginning of April I’ll be there. Will just write of March as a rest month[emoji1]

Bugger.. Sorry dude... Swim.. If he allows that.. It's an excellent substitute.. When I was injured I couldn't even do 500m... Within a couple of weeks I was regularly swimming a mile daily..

Bugger.. Sorry dude... Swim.. If he allows that.. It's an excellent substitute.. When I was injured I couldn't even do 500m... Within a couple of weeks I was regularly swimming a mile daily..

^^^This or jump in a kayak and paddle, will keep your cardio in shape and keep you sane...

If a miracle happens and I can run beginning of April I’ll be there. Will just write of March as a rest month

Jammer om te hoor. Sterkte!

One positive thing is that you have a good base behind you. In December I only did 80km in total (due to my calf injury), yet at the end of January I've managed to do a marathon. And it wasn't as if I suffered - It was by far my best marathon in 18months. 

Plus 1 for this. My wife was injured for four weeks of her marathon training and replaced it with swimming. She ended up running a PB by five minutes.

I have also heard that rowing will help maintain running fitness. 

Swimming a mile a day becomes so tedious. At least with running, there is always something going on to keep our minds busy. 

I have also heard that rowing will help maintain running fitness.

Swimming a mile a day becomes so tedious. At least with running, there is always something going on to keep our minds busy.

Rowing on a rowing machine is also very good. But you have to do it fast else there is no point. Row a mile and see how tedious that is though!

Rowing does place a bit of pressure on the Achilles though.. They needs to be considered

Edit- the ultimate workout is... Run to the gym (up to 5km).. row for 15 min. Swim for 45. Run home.. Your eyes will water on the run home

Edited by Stretch

Yesterday I went to a biokinetikist that specializes in running injuries to get to the bottom of my Achilles injury. He diagnosed me with a small partial tear in the Achilles. According to him its not related to running form or over training but due to physical trauma. I have no idea how that happened. Anyway that looks like the end of Comrades. Two weeks of no running and then further evaluation. Will try to get back onto the bike now, for what its worth.

Sorry to hear that. Speedy recovery. Many replies have mentioned maintaining fitness and some about recovery, have you considered going for sessions in a hyperbaric chamber? This should help you get sorted much sooner.