ScottCM

I got myself a pair of the New Balance Lazrs. Terrible, terrible shoe. Ripped the back of my feet to shreds and was battling with numbness from the pressure of the tied laces being too concentrated on the top of the foot (even though lacing was not tight) on my first long run. Very disappointed after having no issues in my 1080s. 

Ey, not nice to get a new shoe on the feet and have a terrible time with it. You should be able to take it back to the store, though. Even if you've done a few km in it. I know Sweatshop, for example, have a 2 week no-questions-asked policy and I've had no trouble with a few other stores when it comes to returning a shoe. It's just not worth it if you're going to dread putting it on for a run.

That said, have you tried different lacing techniques? My Adidas Supernovas caused the exact issue you described. I laced them to the point that they didn't even cover the lower outside of my foot. I also cut the tongue out, removed all the foam and unnecessary padding then took it to a cobbler to sew back in. It was a definite improvement after that. Don't be afraid to hack a shoe to fit your needs.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ey, not nice to get a new shoe on the feet and have a terrible time with it. You should be able to take it back to the store, though. Even if you've done a few km in it. I know Sweatshop, for example, have a 2 week no-questions-asked policy and I've had no trouble with a few other stores when it comes to returning a shoe. It's just not worth it if you're going to dread putting it on for a run.

That said, have you tried different lacing techniques? My Adidas Supernovas caused the exact issue you described. I laced them to the point that they didn't even cover the lower outside of my foot. I also cut the tongue out, removed all the foam and unnecessary padding then took it to a cobbler to sew back in. It was a definite improvement after that. Don't be afraid to hack a shoe to fit your needs.

Thanks. The numbness issue I could work with. The back of the shoe is just badly designed, and will eat away at the back of my foot no matter what. Will try take them back, but I have done a good 30km in them already. Will let you know how they respond. 

Thanks. The numbness issue I could work with. The back of the shoe is just badly designed, and will eat away at the back of my foot no matter what. Will try take them back, but I have done a good 30km in them already. Will let you know how they respond. 

Yeah, I think regardless of the distance you ran, they really have an obligation to take them back and then make it the NB rep's issue. Either that or contact NB directly. Good luck.

Is your wife seeing someone about her ITB? Comrades is very close, and she should probably see someone ASAP before she causes more damage. 

Kaapsehoop marathon in Nov hurt both of us. Thats where it popped up for her. We both took some time off and let things settle down. Then (you know how it is..) a combination of Dr Google, self rehab, one or two visits to physio, and you just kind of patch yourself up - but never fully healing. 

But yes, we're thinking long term now and forcing through a 42 is one thing, but pushing through 90km's will do legit damage. 

We're sad to miss the back-to-back but caution is probably more advisable now.

It's not too late on the ITB front. It was 6 weeks to the day from ITB surgury to a totally pain free 500km Expedition Africa Swaziland back in 2015 for me. Go see a doc, see what they say, you may even get away with lesser treatment.

It's not too late on the ITB front. It was 6 weeks to the day from ITB surgury to a totally pain free 500km Expedition Africa Swaziland back in 2015 for me. Go see a doc, see what they say, you may even get away with lesser treatment.

I've heard of this ITB snip. I'd love to get a better view on it. I've always thought if its in our body surely its there for a reason? but I've also heard really good things about it.

I got myself a pair of the New Balance Lazrs. Terrible, terrible shoe. Ripped the back of my feet to shreds and was battling with numbness from the pressure of the tied laces being too concentrated on the top of the foot (even though lacing was not tight) on my first long run. Very disappointed after having no issues in my 1080s. 

Hi,

Firstly, what shoe is it? Neutral or Stability?

Secondly, what distance were you planning to run with this shoe?

I've heard of this ITB snip. I'd love to get a better view on it. I've always thought if its in our body surely its there for a reason? but I've also heard really good things about it.

I think as with any surgury- if it can be avoided, rather avoid it, but really for me it was very very successful. My ITB was also really really bad, pain walking accross a car park or down the driveway to the post box

Hi,

Firstly, what shoe is it? Neutral or Stability?

Secondly, what distance were you planning to run with this shoe?

It's a neutral shoe. Did a 13km run in them this Sunday. Was planning 15kms, but had to go home early as my feet started bleeding at the back. When I bought them, I was told they should last about 800km. Was planning on using them leading up to and for my Durban 70.3 in June. So longest distance in them will be 21km. 

It's a nice looking shoe, light, and feels fast. But I really don't think they are a long distance running shoe. More like a cross fit / short running distance shoe. They were ok-ish for the two shorter hills and threshold sessions I did in them (60 minutes each). 

Edited by EmJayZA

3f535cce66dcc1e782c53403723cf1b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sincere apologies for taking up a spot in the top 10 but I was feeling really good for some higher mileage this past week :-)

I promise to avoid it next time, unless I go crazy and decide to do Comrades.

I'm going to try post the following 4 times, so that I get everything to follow in sequence. Some might prefer to skip the long, drawn out report and only read the quick version (this post) and/r the data. This also means each post will be edited, as I've still got to add the images.

Post 1 – quick version

Post 2 – the long, drawn out report

Post 3 – race day

Post 4 – the data

THE QUICK VERSION

In December 2017, I accepted a challenge that would require training to be able to complete a 10Km fun run in less than 1 hour, i.e. 6 min/km. A bunch of club members were wanting to supplement their cycling with some running, given that there are active runners in the club.

13 weeks later, I completed my first 10Km run – the Pharmaton Edenvale 10Km. A good day out, with a few PB’s and a successful 57:03 race time for the 10.35Km route. Am I addicted? Perhaps – I’d hate to stop now and have to go through this all again, so I’ll continue running a 10-15Km every Sunday, and perhaps 1-2 runs per week (5Km). But I need to get back on the IDT and get some HITT done so that I don’t lose my cycling form, which has taken a dip.

The reports will be posted on the third post, so that you have the choice of skipping the long, drawn out bits below (or on the next page as it turns out).

Edited by Frosty

THE LONG, DRAWN OUT REPORT

How it all started

The morning of 3rd of December 2017, during a post-ride coffee stop, a few members were discussing doing a few running races in 2018. As a non-runner, it didn’t interest me, so I was hearing the conversation but not listening. It was only the following weekend when the same conversation came up about doing a race in February or March that I decided to listen, and even take part in the conversation.

It was at that point that FOMO kicked in, and I realised that the cure would be to start training. The challenge was on… I had the tekkies, courtesy of the Shoe Booster from Discovery Vitality since February 2017, that were sitting in the cupboard (still in the box). I had a Garmin Forerunner 735XT, so no need to worry about using a chest strap while running. And I had a target race, the 10Km Pharmaton Edenvale race, which as we know takes place on the same day as the Argus. I did my first Argus on my birthday, and this would be my first running race – again on my birthday.

The training plan

I found a “couch to 10Km” training plan on the net, courtesy of this forum. But I wasn’t sure I wanted to do 5-6 runs per week, as cycling was (and still is) my preferred mode of training. So back to Google, and eventually found a program that has a few good reviews, and something I could relate to… Run 10Km, by training 3 days a week for 14 weeks. I dubbed it “0-10k WxDy”, where Wx = the week number, and Dy = the day number.

The plan is attached, for any newbie that wants to consider following the plan.

0-10k plan.pdf

Keeping a log

I also decided to keep a log of all my runs so I could see the progress from W1d1 to W14d3, and remind myself that form and conditioning takes time to build up. I have been injury free (touch wood) for the entire challenge, which actually hasn’t ended, even though I ran the 10Km at W13d1 instead of W13d3. I technically still have 4 workouts to complete the 14-week training plan.

The 14 week plan

The first 8 weeks is dedicated to going from nothing to being able to run 5Km without walking. I’m not sure that the “without walking” is guaranteed, but it certainly can be done at a comfortable pace. Almost everything is interval based, split between walking, jogging and running. The very first week is 90 seconds walking, and 60 seconds jogging, repeated for 20 minutes, with a 5 minute walk to warm up, and a 5 minute walk to cool down. That meant 8 repetitions which sounds easy now – it was easy to start out fast, and then feel the burning sensation in the legs/lungs after the 4th/5th interval.

Each week the workouts were mostly the same, and made planning quite easy. Monday (rest), Tuesday (workout 1), Wednesday (IDT bike workout), Thursday (workout 2), Friday (coffee ride), Saturday (club ride, LSD), Sunday (workout 3). Work, family, bike races, weather and fatigue changed it up a few times and I found myself having to adjust a few weeks, and I only cut the workout short 3 times (twice due to feeling fatigued, and the last one in my taper week). I got asked “tapering for a 10Km event?”… yip, for the following reasons:

• I had gone through the whole of 2017 with at least one, maybe two, workouts every week.
  • I had changed jobs, with the new one being 100% more demanding than the old one.
  • Hadn’t taken leave since December 2016, and
  • Topped off the last 13 weeks with 6 workouts per week.

Running and Cycling

Having decided to boycott CyclingSA, and therefore being ineligible to licence, I was now a fun rider in the alphabet categories. Not keen on taking part with the AL bunch, I decided to ride in CL and just ride – but that was short-lived after a few near misses early on. Riding at the front is (for me) a safer bet, so it means working a bit more than I had hoped for. I had a good Value Logistics Fast One, in CL, and thought that the running hadn’t interfered too much with my cycle training. I followed that up with another CL start at the Dischem Ride for Sight, and discovered that my cycling form was suffering due to all the running. Skipping HITT for the running plan, meant I was unable to keep up on the up hills – which for a former VB rider that could easily keep up, was a reminder that I can’t be competitive in both running and riding, I’m okay with that, as long as I maintain my seeding to be able to start in AL (when the desire is there), and possibly ride VD at the 947. VD? My word, do I qualify to take Salusa45? Yes, as of yesterday.

Edited by Frosty