ScottCM

Morning.

I ran my first race as a Grandmaster on Saturday: Garsfontein Icebreaker 21k. Finished in 1:58.

Chuffed. Life in the old dog yet ... . ;)

(Oh, plus free entry as a GM).

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need some suggestions for Trail shoes. I want something for longer runs, so it needs some cushioning and support. Currently Ive narrowed it down to the Hoka Speedgoat 2 and Salomon Sense Ride. Unlike with road shoes it seems nearly impossible to find a good selection trail shoes in SA.

Dont know if im really qualified to help you here...but here are my feelings on the Hoka Speedgoat....I love them! Plenty cushioning and support but I think if I buy again, id look at the Speed instinct more closely, less cushioning, I have to learn to trust the speedgoats...the cushioning makes me feel a little nervous.  I usually run the 18 - 21km trail runs (if I have a choice) and enjoy the 2 day stage runs...eg Oxpecker and Zingela.

I need some suggestions for Trail shoes. I want something for longer runs, so it needs some cushioning and support. Currently Ive narrowed it down to the Hoka Speedgoat 2 and Salomon Sense Ride. Unlike with road shoes it seems nearly impossible to find a good selection trail shoes in SA.

Try them both on and decide, I love my Hoka's and have had zero issues, but before that I was in Salomon SLab ultra's and also no issues, Sportsman's should have both in stock for you to try back to back or one foot in each shoe

Try them both on and decide, I love my Hoka's and have had zero issues, but before that I was in Salomon SLab ultra's and also no issues, Sportsman's should have both in stock for you to try back to back or one foot in each shoe

I've always used Salomon, and there cant be a more comfortable shoe. Its just not possible. They are a litte firm though.

Ive used the Hoka Clifton 4s for a few short runs, but Im not sold yet, not as comfortable as my other road shoes. Hopefully they will still run in.

I promise***, tomorrow I start up again... s'true story  :blush:

***possible excuses to be confirmed

Its crickets in here.....

Good Luck to all running Vasbyt tomorrow. To the rest enjoy the weekend training

been a long week for some of us.

Raced the Nevarest Adventure race in Pilgrims last weekend, 33hours non stop racing with well over 6000m elevation gain, needless to say I only actually woke up on Tuesday.

That course broke us, leaders were expected in after 24 hours- the winning team crossed the line after 35 hours, we skipped the last CP to short course ourselves. 

Running Kings Kloof paradise trail 25km on Sunday, but going to have to take it chilled. Might have an Ice bath this evening, only managed to run 15km and cycle 40 km since the weekend

Edited by dave303e

been a long week for some of us.

Raced the Nevarest Adventure race in Pilgrims last weekend, 33hours non stop racing with well over 6000m elevation gain, needless to say I only actually woke up on Tuesday.

That course broke us, leaders were expected in after 24 hours- the winning team crossed the line after 35 hours, we skipped the last CP to short course ourselves. 

Running Kings Kloof paradise trail 25km on Sunday, but going to have to take it chilled. Might have an Ice bath this evening, only managed to run 15km and cycle 40 km since the weekend

Ja but have you done Comrades boet!  :lol: 

Crazy stuff man, don't know how you do it, but man it must be awesome. Good luck for the weekend

Nice man, such a lekker race... been meaning to go back and do it again for years. 

Say hello to Boulders for me  :thumbup:

On bike this weekend... off to the Jock !!  :ph34r:

Got the sniffles once again... so my first week of following a training program stopped after day 4. 

I was so motivated to get going again. I guess we will try again on Monday.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Nice man, such a lekker race... been meaning to go back and do it again for years. 

Say hello to Boulders for me  :thumbup:

Ya, enjoy this race, is always on my calendar!

Have you considered Inov8? Small market in SA for them, but in my opinion great shoes. Im currently running with Inov8 Rocklite 305, absolutely bomb proof, super responsive, lightweight and great ankle support. I does however not have the same cushioning as the Hoka speedgoats and has a lower stack height. Inov8 does however offer a couple of more cushioned shoes for hardpack terrain . I had a pair of Hokas speedgoats and returned them after a week , my opinion is they are unresponsive and bulky in technical terrain. It all depends what you like running I guess?? I prefer more technical terrain and dont need the cushioning some people do (only weight about 55kg). Just my opinion, give them a go if you feel like it. I am actually very curious on how Inov8 will compare to salamon, as I have not owned the latter yet.