ScottCM

Hey guys

Cyclist with a (newly) discovered running problem. Background is that I'm a roadie. I've always enjoyed the odd run and felt that I was a fairly decent runner but never really further pushed or explored it.

Then, with a young family and limited time to train on the bike I picked up the running again and entered my first 21km in October.

But... I've started with ITB issues on my right leg. Have searched the forum and read up all about what everyone is saying on ITB. Basically I could deduce this:

1. Deep tissue massage at a physio works

2. Stretching helps

3. It could be body misalignment and camber on the road that causes it

What I want to know is:

1. Can running cause long term ITB issues for me. Eventually, probably towards the end of this year I want to go back to focusing on my road cycling and I want to avoid causing long term damage.

2. How do you run and train on the road with camber being an issue - I typically run on the right hand side and can deduce that this is part of the issue.

Cheers!

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Dog Show, 

Running ITB shouldn't cause any long term problems for on the bike. 
In fact, while many suffer ITB they get told to cross train on the bike for rehab and fitness

When running, if you run early mornings and the roads are quiet try running more in the middle of the road as this is the flattest spot of the road. Else depending on the condition of the pavement you can also try run there. 

Best of luck and remember to Ice the knee for 15min twice a day while you are recovering. 

There no excuses, it not even cold in the mornings.....

"You will never always be Motivated. You have to be Disciplined"

Talking about excuses, this gets bantered about occasionally on our club Whatsapp chat. Some good but innocent banter.

81786c2a200ef58603333db1cd045bad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Can running cause long term ITB issues for me.

I have this question as well, but could not get a clear answer as yet.   If you continue to run with itb, what you cause permanent damage and what it?

2. How do you run and train on the road with camber being an issue - I typically run on the right hand side and can deduce that this is part of the issue.

I may not be the most experienced runner and might get shot for this advise. But what I do is to run out and back on the same physical side of the road. That way I counter the camber since your one hip drops on going out, the other on return. 

Welcome to the club! 

Edited by SeaBee

Hey guys

Cyclist with a (newly) discovered running problem. Background is that I'm a roadie. I've always enjoyed the odd run and felt that I was a fairly decent runner but never really further pushed or explored it.

Then, with a young family and limited time to train on the bike I picked up the running again and entered my first 21km in October.

But... I've started with ITB issues on my right leg. Have searched the forum and read up all about what everyone is saying on ITB. Basically I could deduce this:

2. Stretching helps

What I want to know is:

1. Can running cause long term ITB issues for me. Eventually, probably towards the end of this year I want to go back to focusing on my road cycling and I want to avoid causing long term damage.

Cheers!

Roadie problem, or more generic cyclist problem.  The real issue is too much too fast.

Cyclists have rather well developed cardio-muscular fitness, but as a result of being "clipped in" the natural pronation of the foot, and the supporting tendons and bands are not exercised through the full range of their movements.  Therefore, when you start running, a number of things are going to happen,

firstly your bones are going to have to transform from elastic bands to concrete (shin splints are the symptom that this is not happening),

secondly, some muscles in your legs which you forgot you had are going to start complaining,

thirdly, ligaments and tendons will have to get stronger, which also happens slowly.

When you run according to your lungs and not your muscles, something is going to break.

Best advice is to slow down, shorten your runs and possibly do some trail running to counter the camber of the road and place some strain on the full range of movement of your ankles and knees so as to strengthen the full leg.

Edited by Paddaman

Roadie problem, or more generic cyclist problem.  The real issue is too much too fast.

Cyclists have rather well developed cardio-muscular fitness, but as a result of being "clipped in" the natural pronation of the foot, and the supporting tendons and bands are not exercised through the full range of their movements.  Therefore, when you start running, a number of things are going to happen,

firstly your bones are going to have to transform from elastic bands to concrete (shin splints are the symptom that this is not happening),

secondly, some muscles in your legs which you forgot you had are going to start complaining,

thirdly, ligaments and tendons will have to get stronger, which also happens slowly.

When you run according to your lungs and not your muscles, something is going to break.

Best advice is to slow down, shorten your runs and possibly do some trail running to counter the camber of the road and place some strain on the full range of movement of your ankles and knees so as to strengthen the full leg.

These are really good points.

I suffered the same thing - shinsplints, calf problems, bit of ITB, I also came from a fit background into running. It'll feel silly how slowly you should ramp it up because you're already fit, but it really should be adhered to.

Anyone else using Injinji socks for road running? I have had some great experience in the past as it lived up to it's claim regarding blister prevention most of the time. Then when I got blisters they were mild and I could still run without having to check how bad it was getting. Recently though, I'm getting many more blisters and it's starting to becoming a little irritating. What have you experienced?

Best cure for blisters is to toughen your feet up. No more foot creams, if you doing the gardening then barefoot or shoes without socks, cycle without socks, build the thick layers of skin up. If your shoes fit correct and your feet are tough then you should have no issues...

Best cure for blisters is to toughen your feet up. No more foot creams, if you doing the gardening then barefoot or shoes without socks, cycle without socks, build the thick layers of skin up. If your shoes fit correct and your feet are tough then you should have no issues...

Thanks Dave. I'll try some of these.

Hey guys

2. Stretching helps

What I want to know is:

Cheers!

So I can't comment on ITB, but I managed to cut my running injuries down to nothing despite increasing my running volume over the past few years.

I'm 35, weigh around 90 kg's and have been running for 13 years now.  Not particularly fast or spectacular, I try to maintain a level of fitness so that I can run 5min/km over a 10km distance pretty much all year round.  From time to time I'll be a little faster and from time to time i'll be a little slower.  Best time on a 8km timetrial is 35m25, fastest 10k is 45ish and my fastest 21 is around 1h47.  that's just to put my (limited) talent into perspective of the advice below, so basically, don't listen to me if you're a sub 4:20 min/km runner, I've never been at your level!

Even when I just came out of my teens, I had issues with shin splints, sore knees, achillis tendons you name it.  Over time I learned to manage this and I've got 4 rules that proved to be the the silver bullet (at least silverest bullet) in terms of preventing running injury for me personally:

1)  Don't ever run hard consecutive days.  If you do run two days in a row, make sure one of the two days is either a short interval type session or a easy paced run.  Never run 3 days in a row and never more than 4 times in a week!

2)  Pick up your cadence.  I used to have what I believed was a comfortable running cadence at ~155 spm.  I then bought a Garmin and the app basically told me that I'm running like Shrek.  Sceptical at first, I increased my cadence to the ~180 spm mark that Garmin suggests which felt terrible at first.  I have since gotten used to the cadence and other than just the injury issue, I also found that my running times are faster, because I simply cant run at a high candence if i'm slogging below 5m30 / km.

3)  Do a little bit of leg work.  I try to do at least one session of body-weight squats a week in combo with sets of push-ups and pull-ups.  The whole routine takes like 12 minutes and I literally just do 8 sets of 10reps body weight squats.  No weights and i don't bend my knees more than 90 deg.

4)  Go to the fisio around every 8 weeks or so.  If you have a good one, they can tell you when your muscles are tensing up and whether there are injuries on the way.

Not sure which of the above 4 are the main contributors to me not getting injured anymore, but i've been injury and pain free for the better part of 3 years now.

So I can't comment on ITB, but I managed to cut my running injuries down to nothing despite increasing my running volume over the past few years.

I'm 35, weigh around 90 kg's and have been running for 13 years now.  Not particularly fast or spectacular, I try to maintain a level of fitness so that I can run 5min/km over a 10km distance pretty much all year round.  From time to time I'll be a little faster and from time to time i'll be a little slower.  Best time on a 8km timetrial is 35m25, fastest 10k is 45ish and my fastest 21 is around 1h47.  that's just to put my (limited) talent into perspective of the advice below, so basically, don't listen to me if you're a sub 4:20 min/km runner, I've never been at your level!

Even when I just came out of my teens, I had issues with shin splints, sore knees, achillis tendons you name it.  Over time I learned to manage this and I've got 4 rules that proved to be the the silver bullet (at least silverest bullet) in terms of preventing running injury for me personally:

1)  Don't ever run hard consecutive days.  If you do run two days in a row, make sure one of the two days is either a short interval type session or a easy paced run.  Never run 3 days in a row and never more than 4 times in a week!

2)  Pick up your cadence.  I used to have what I believed was a comfortable running cadence at ~155 spm.  I then bought a Garmin and the app basically told me that I'm running like Shrek.  Sceptical at first, I increased my cadence to the ~180 spm mark that Garmin suggests which felt terrible at first.  I have since gotten used to the cadence and other than just the injury issue, I also found that my running times are faster, because I simply cant run at a high candence if i'm slogging below 5m30 / km.

3)  Do a little bit of leg work.  I try to do at least one session of body-weight squats a week in combo with sets of push-ups and pull-ups.  The whole routine takes like 12 minutes and I literally just do 8 sets of 10reps body weight squats.  No weights and i don't bend my knees more than 90 deg.

4)  Go to the fisio around every 8 weeks or so.  If you have a good one, they can tell you when your muscles are tensing up and whether there are injuries on the way.

Not sure which of the above 4 are the main contributors to me not getting injured anymore, but i've been injury and pain free for the better part of 3 years now.

Rule one is a bit restrictive, but the logic is sound.  Simply do not do too much at once.  You should alternative efforts across days and have at least one active rest day a week (and if you feel worn one rest rest day).  If you slowly increase your load you can get to run up to 10km a day at tempo and have a 15km LSD on alternative days, but this is a six month build up.  Comrades runners starting fro a 100-200km week base in December normally get there by May.

Cadency or leg turn over speed is important, especially when training for hills.  It is a good practice to do one hill session a week, with the express aim of shortening your pace and increasing your cadency.

Cross training is a good idea, largely because if you transition back to the bike after six months running, there are some muscles that will hurt you badly.

Physio and Chiro are not bad ideas to sort out alignment and stride issues.

I have been to a chiro now for about 10 times over the last 2 and a half months. I pronate badly on my right side and I regularly have glute pain on my right side. The sessions made a huge difference and I feel lighter on my feet when running. 

I agree with Paddaman, if you have alignment issues a chiro can help. My next step is to go to a Biokineticist to make my right side stronger.

The chiro said to me the camber of the road is a huge problem for runners. He suggests to alternate the sides of the road when running (I know this is dangerous and you won't see the cars when running on the left hand side)

I have been to a chiro now for about 10 times over the last 2 and a half months. I pronate badly on my right side and I regularly have glute pain on my right side. The sessions made a huge difference and I feel lighter on my feet when running. 

I agree with Paddaman, if you have alignment issues a chiro can help. My next step is to go to a Biokineticist to make my right side stronger.

The chiro said to me the camber of the road is a huge problem for runners. He suggests to alternate the sides of the road when running (I know this is dangerous and you won't see the cars when running on the left hand side)

Enter trail running, park runs and cross country......

If you think the camber on the road is bad, try Fishhoek beach, Nahoon beach, or any other beach, thinking of it.