ScottCM

How was everyone's running weekend?

I saw a few of you did wanderers, how was is?

Always a good race... well organised, nice leafy suburbs. Always use it as a gauge on how poorly my off season has been  :ph34r: 

Managed to just sneak under 2hours by 15 seconds, which I can't really complain about, but considering 2016 I did 1:51 and last year 1:56 there's a definite trend sneaking in here  :blush: 

Next week Adrienne Hersch, which I am kind of dreading - it's a tough 21km in my current shape, I guess I must just be sensible and use it as a slow easy training run...

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my final prep for next weekend's qualifier. Hopefully I didn't over-exert myself but I feel good and ready to achieve my goal time.

Blegh… bombed on the weekend. Was set for a 35km slow run and got to 25km when the ITB hit for the first time since returning from injury. Fortunately it was near home and the ice-cream shop was on the way to the house so there was some consolation. I had loaded my pack up pretty heavy (3 litres of water plus clothing, etc.) to start getting used to it and I wonder if that caused me to run with poor form or something?

Whatever I did trying to alleviate it before Comrades didn't work so I'm going to have to try a different approach.

Tough luck barry, hope it gets sorted a lot quicker this time around. Strangely enough since i got over my ITB last year, every time i'm in a long run i still fear it coming back. 

Think the extra weight definitely will have had something to do with it, good luck getting that ITB sorted again...

On a not when it comes to running packs and gear I honestly think it is worth weight weenie'ing about that sort of stuff, rain jackets, base layers, torch etc. You need them to be good, but you don't want the heaviest pack out there.

For AR I managed to get rid of an entire KG from my pack without compromising performance in the gear, take some time draw up some comparisons and rethink what you need for a race.

Had an awesome run at Cathedral peak, if you wanting a tough 20km run, this is probably he best out there, worth the drive, and worth the effort. Drakensberg showing off it's beauty as usual.

Went down to run it with my girlfriend so I had an 'easy' run, (still hurting this morning haha).

https://www.facebook.com/pg/CathedralPeakHotel/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2205950532780715&__tn__=-UC-R

Tough luck barry, hope it gets sorted a lot quicker this time around. Strangely enough since i got over my ITB last year, every time i'm in a long run i still fear it coming back.

Almost 2 years since I got rid of my ITBs, that fear never goes away.

Wanderers in 1:47! which i think is a PB  :clap:  Legs felt pretty heavy from cycle on Sat, but somehow my pace didn't drop, in fact managed a negative split (chaos first few km's aside).

Saying that trail seems to have changed the way I look at running now. I didn't enjoy 1 second of those crowds, may cancel Adrienne Hersch and head to Walter Sisulu instead.

For those of you who have sorted out ITB issues, how did you manage it? Mine's been an issue for months now

I went to the big red barn on Sunday for the 21km hosted by trail adventure.

The overall route was fairly flat but legs felt heavy from the previous days wattbike session.

The first 10km was nice and easy and I managed a good pace.

The next 5km was more technical with lots of twists and turns and short ups and overs which killed my legs.

The last 5 was pure mental, but I survived.

Overall I am very happy and finish just under 2:20.

Blegh… bombed on the weekend. Was set for a 35km slow run and got to 25km when the ITB hit for the first time since returning from injury. Fortunately it was near home and the ice-cream shop was on the way to the house so there was some consolation. I had loaded my pack up pretty heavy (3 litres of water plus clothing, etc.) to start getting used to it and I wonder if that caused me to run with poor form or something?

Whatever I did trying to alleviate it before Comrades didn't work so I'm going to have to try a different approach.

Oh bugger... You have time to get it sorted... Don't try do too much to soon.. Get that itb nailed

For those of you who have sorted out ITB issues, how did you manage it? Mine's been an issue for months now

I think most get it sorted with physio, bio and rest.

I had the release surgery and then a lot of physio and bio work to correct the underlying causes.

Good news is those little shin splints I had are gone. Definitely a result of doing 50km in a week in non support racing shoes when all I wear is support shoes.... Gonna ease them in a little slower now.

Did a 15 miler this weekend.. Was tempo pace but I was pretty tired at the end. That's with no water or anything though so I'm not too bothered.

One funny thing here is that back in SA I world run past at least 6 or 7 petrol stations on my long route and be able to stop for a drink along the way. Here...I run past one and it's after 2 km! And there's no outside tap!... So I just run with no water .I guess it's not bad training