ScottCM

Sooooooooo, my long serving Garmin 910xt died on Friday and Garmin SA confirmed its death this morning. They are now offering me a 920xt as replacement for just under R 2 000 with a 90 day warranty.

Question is, do I go for the 920xt or a new 935 from Sportmans for R 6 699 (R 7299 - R 600 Vitality 15% device discount)???

Mind says 920xt, heart would love a new 935xt...

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

There should be a new model upgrade for the 935 and the Fenix soon.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it is worth, you can do the fitness assessment for R425 and get another 10% off, which should be ~R730, saving you an extra 330, but costing you time and investment. Where did you get the R600 from? 15% of R7300 is ~R1100

also, thought it was worth mentioning, 920xt's still seem to sell well 2nd hand for R2000, so picking up one "new" with 90 day warranty sounds like a better venture. If the 920xt packs up in a year, mabe you get offered a 935 then at a rate still lower or near the vitality discounted 935

Vitality Device Booster is only up to the value of R 4 000 (Discovery small print) and not on the full price, therefore the 25% kickback will not work for me (and my wife) that needs to go for fitness assessments

Sooooooooo, my long serving Garmin 910xt died on Friday and Garmin SA confirmed its death this morning. They are now offering me a 920xt as replacement for just under R 2 000 with a 90 day warranty.

Question is, do I go for the 920xt or a new 935 from Sportmans for R 6 699 (R 7299 - R 600 Vitality 15% device discount)???

Mind says 920xt, heart would love a new 935xt...

I would not get the 920.

I'd much rather get a second hand Fenix 3, or 735.

If you want to go new, get the 935, or the 735

I have been doing quite a bit of research into lower pace heart rate runs.

It all started with reading a book from plant based ultra athlete Rich Roll. A book I wholly recommend.

The theory (and this is a really simple summary) is that you never deviate from zone 2. This allows the body to almost never use its anaerobic system and thus means you can basically perform for ages. Sure it’s at the cost of pace. But as you build your base the pace starts to improve all whilst your cardiovascular systems remains in zone 2. Basically you get faster and faster without ever using your anaerobic system. Recoveries are quick and you never have an excess amount of lactate.

It’s quite frustrating in the beginning as you feel like you are a geriatric. But it pays off in the long run.

It all started with reading a book from plant based ultra athlete Rich Roll. A book I wholly recommend.

The theory (and this is a really simple summary) is that you never deviate from zone 2. This allows the body to almost never use its anaerobic system and thus means you can basically perform for ages. Sure it’s at the cost of pace. But as you build your base the pace starts to improve all whilst your cardiovascular systems remains in zone 2. Basically you get faster and faster without ever using your anaerobic system. Recoveries are quick and you never have an excess amount of lactate.

It’s quite frustrating in the beginning as you feel like you are a geriatric. But it pays off in the long run.

I did some heart rate based training in 2016... Started very slowly and then slowly my pace increased at the same HR. Friend here is busy doing the Garmin HR based plan and he just knocked 4.5 minutes off his 10mi pb in less than 4 months... That's going from a 74min odd to a 69:55

“ pays off in the long run.” I see what did there.

A question on training, that might have been discussed here before. What's your thoughts on going out and banging out workouts at race speed (each to his own), and building up from there, vs following a program where you do intervals in difference heart rate/pace zones and then doing slower long runs in like zone 2?

Following one of those, I am wondering how you convert the interval training to doing a half, or marathon, in the speed you want to finish it in.

Running is like fireworks, the bigger the rocket the more spectacular the bang

Vitality Device Booster is only up to the value of R 4 000 (Discovery small print) and not on the full price, therefore the 25% kickback will not work for me (and my wife) that needs to go for fitness assessments

Yea, I forgot the 15/25% is based on the R4000. My point remains all the same, spend the R425 and you can increase your cash backs to R400 + any extras for a year.

These days, this is the bases for most long distance training programmes, running and riding.

Throw in some structured hill repeats and 1 speedwork/track session a week and you can improve drastically. It is not new. Consistency has always been the key word for endurance based training.

I have a hundred miler in 8 weeks and have done absolutely no intensity training.

Ran a road marathon on Saturday and had slow but super even splits (4hr finishing time), my fastest 3km were KM 39-42 and I could surf on Sunday and run without pain or discomfort yesterday.

If you have the patience, do it. Opens up a world of opportunity in terms of being able to 'run' 100km or 100 miler events, trail ultras etc without having to actually 'train'.

Then because you ride bikes as well, join the guys for some of the A1 adventure races.... 

I enjoy Rich Roll's podcast. As for the Zone 2 training back in 2016 I listened to Coach Lindsay Parry's podcast where he said to get faster you need to run in zone 2 for 13 weeks and it worked for me back then. After next wkn's IMSA I will be doing another 13 week Zone 2 stint as part of my rehabilitation for my leg. patience now, gains long term. 

Some reading on MAF training https://philmaffetone.com/want-speed-slow-down/

Basically same philosophy, you do all your training in aerobic rather than anaerobic

I have a hundred miler in 8 weeks and have done absolutely no intensity training.

Ran a road marathon on Saturday and had slow but super even splits (4hr finishing time), my fastest 3km were KM 39-42 and I could surf on Sunday and run without pain or discomfort yesterday.

You doing the inaugural Mac Mac?

I enjoy Rich Roll's podcast. As for the Zone 2 training back in 2016 I listened to Coach Lindsay Parry's podcast where he said to get faster you need to run in zone 2 for 13 weeks and it worked for me back then. After next wkn's IMSA I will be doing another 13 week Zone 2 stint as part of my rehabilitation for my leg. patience now, gains long term. 

I highly recommend the book. It highlights his personal life and offers a new perspective on the man

I highly recommend the book. It highlights his personal life and offers a new perspective on the man

Thanks i shall look out for it when I finish my latest Wilbur SMith book.