ScottCM

2 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Hey Jewbacca,

Yes, I stumbled across the Durbanville AC Trail group and bumped into an old friend of mine in the process which is great.

I am still relatively new to trail running, but I already love it. I've got the Saucony Peregrine 12 to help with the runs, and I'll use the Triumph 19 to switch up with road running.

This is quite a major shift and adjustment for me coming from cycling, which I used to do, and it was a complete fitness wake-up call for me.

I'm eager to improve my fitness in the upcoming months.

That is brilliant! I'm glad you came right.

If you're ever keen for that mission or a slow (for now) jaunt in the Muizenberg mountains let me know. 

I've been let out of my cage a bit and will start getting back to some sort of fitness over the next few months. 

Trail running is a really good reset and gets you to more diverse areas than cycling often does. ENJOY!

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, TheoG said:

Have a look at the Hoka's.  I was pleasantly surprised by their stability shoe (Arahi 6).

+1 for the Hoka. I'm using Hoka's after my Spinal Fusion, and i am super happy with them. Light as a feather and more than enough cushioning. For my trail runs on weekends, i am still using my Nike Terra Kiger. But will soon change to Hoka Speedgoat 5.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:19 AM, Lexx said:

Seeing as the UTMB is also on this weekend, I have a couple of questions about their entry procedure. So they changed their Entry system from points to running stones. So does that mean the trail runners in SA wont be able to qualify anymore for the UTMB in any of our 100 miler or 100k races, we only got qualifier events? The reason I ask, is I read on their website only UTMB World series events and majors gave out stones.

So it turns out Ironman bought UTMB. Hence the new series and the qualification changes...

On 9/24/2022 at 2:26 PM, dave303e said:

So it turns out Ironman bought UTMB. Hence the new series and the qualification changes...

Sucks Big Time. And we actually have some of the best mountain running races in the world like UTCT. Money Talks I guess. 🙄

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Sucks Big Time. And we actually have some of the best mountain running races in the world like UTCT. Money Talks I guess. 🙄

I'm going to be 'that guy'...

Maybe it's because I live in Cape Town, but in terms of actual mountain running, UTCT is not in the top 5 races in SA. It's more of a coastal run with some medium size climbs.

BUT on the whole, I agree with your statement. We have some amazing mountain races in SA which, from my experience, are world class in all aspects. 

I guess you can't get to Kona without doing IM, so same same. On that note though, with so many top class races in SA, the dollars to go and do a race elsewhere hardly seems worth it. 

Our 100  miler circuit is so diverse... 

Karkloof - Humid, not so technical, can be wet - rolling hills

MacMac - Very Technical, can be hot, can be wet - decent size mountains

UTD - Can be very cold, hot, wet, altitude, rough under foot in places - big mountains

Addo - HOT, sandy, desolate - coastal

UTCT - steep, technical, hot but can be windy - coastal but rugged paths under foot

Then you have a few other 100km events and outliers like the MacMac200 and if they ever run the Tusker for the real idiots.

SA has some pretty amazing large scale events. The 'allure' of any sort of 'pinnacle' event is just mindset.

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Maybe it's because I live in Cape Town, but in terms of actual mountain running, UTCT is not in the top 5 races in SA. It's more of a coastal run with some medium size climbs.

BUT on the whole, I agree with your statement. We have some amazing mountain races in SA which, from my experience, are world class in all aspects. 

I guess you can't get to Kona without doing IM, so same same. On that note though, with so many top class races in SA, the dollars to go and do a race elsewhere hardly seems worth it. 

UTD - Can be very cold, hot, wet, altitude, rough under foot in places - big mountains

UTCT - steep, technical, hot but can be windy - coastal but rugged paths under foot

Then you have a few other 100km events and outliers like the MacMac200 and if they ever run the Tusker for the real idiots.

SA has some pretty amazing large scale events. The 'allure' of any sort of 'pinnacle' event is just mindset.

I agree 100%. 

27 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Someone had to be that guy...

We do have some incredible runs in SA.

Skyrun is not to be missed- that is a proper mountain run.

Even on the shorter scale, events like Wolkberg, Kaapsehoop, Mweni etc.

We have some solid 100 milers as you state, and honestly if I were to be looking for the holy grail of 100 milers, it would not be UTMB, I would be looking more towards Western States or Leadville

8 minutes ago, dave303e said:

We have some solid 100 milers as you state, and honestly if I were to be looking for the holy grail of 100 milers, it would not be UTMB, I would be looking more towards Western States or Leadville

The only negative side to the Western States and Leadville are the damn long waiting times for a US Visa. 

16 minutes ago, dave303e said:

6 minutes ago, Lexx said:

The only negative side to the Western States and Leadville are the damn long waiting times for a US Visa. 

If I was looking I'd be keen to skip cross the pond and attempt the Ultra Trail Snowdonia race once I'm recovered...

Welsh mountains, technical trails and a mere 10000m elevation in 162km.

Race entry is relatively inexpensive too. 

I'm not much of a 'grand red carpet' vibe person so have historically enjoyed the less RA RA races 

thought I'd just seagull in here to point out the original* mountain ultra run the Puffer is tomorrow.

*that's probably wrong, and subjective anyway and it's shorter now too. but pretty sure it predates anything else on this page

15 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

If I was looking I'd be keen to skip cross the pond and attempt the Ultra Trail Snowdonia race once I'm recovered...

Welsh mountains, technical trails and a mere 10000m elevation in 162km.

Race entry is relatively inexpensive too. 

I'm not much of a 'grand red carpet' vibe person so have historically enjoyed the less RA RA races 

Just had a look at that race, and I like it a lot.. Its something different, and not so hyped up as UTMB. Think I will def considered it, also not as expensive. I'm slowly building my fitness back, and cant wait to get back to running trail races again. 

On 9/22/2022 at 8:16 AM, Zama7 said:

Hey Guys looking for a new neutral tempo / race shoe recommendation (5km-10km, max a 21km but maybe once every 6 months). I currently use the following 

Asics Gel Nimbus 23 (for long runs - with inners)

Asics Gel DS Trainer 24 (tempo runs - no inner)

Nike Pegasus 23 (Gym and casual runs - no inner)

Budget is around R 2 000 and I prefer Nike or Asics but open to suggestions. Will probably buy from a factory shop / previous generation to get around budget.

Thanks 

Also have a look at the asics noosa tri 14. They are on special for R 2000. Very good shoe and so comfortable.

With regards to sizes my long run shoes are 2 sizes above my normal shoe size any recommendations on tempo shoes size? I assume 1 size above normal size should be fine as I need a bit of wiggle room but don't want to be sliding around while sprinting 

• 2 months later...

Over two months since the last post, what has happened to all the runners? I was sure that we would see some posts about Soweto or, Kaapsehoop

I had a similar thought about how quiet it was the other day.

UTCT seemed a big hit this year with a new 100miler.

I had a sneaky few weeks and ran a 10km pb at a random road race. It was a lot of fun training very differently and specific focused training.