ScottCM

I also didn't enjoy the Vaal marathon. Going to give Kaapse Hoop a good go. Hoping for a sub 4 so I can qualify for Batch D - Comrades. Speed is there or there abouts, finished all 3 Vitality races between 1H51-1H55 and ran a 32km in Sub 3Hrs..

Edited by Gringo111

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm obviously a rookie as well but I can say that the 10 Westcliff repeats I did the other week absolutely trashed my quads. I've never had muscles that sore for the days that followed. I made sure I ran back down the sloped section on the side rather than the stairs after each repeat and by the fifth repeat my calves were doing those spasm twitches. I can only imagine how good those must be in building quad resilience for the down.

A group of us are planning on doing the Westcliff stairs on the 25th since its a public holiday. Sounds like i'm going to suffer...

Johnson Crane is early in the year, very hot and very flat. You work the full 42km and you actually wish for a hill and a down hill. I normally do the marathon. I decided next year to only do the 21km. January is early in the year for a marathon.

Vaal is just as flat, I hated it. It feels like an obstacle course with all the potholes. Quite a popular race as your time is mat to mat and not gun to mat.

Kaapse Hoop is mostly down hill except for the last 4 kms. The one huge factor is the heat and humidity... Yes it is an easy qualifier but the heat gets to most people. If you are planning to use Kaapse Hoop as a qualifier you better do heat training. Go do your long run at 12 in the afternoon, not at 6 in the morning.

My best marathon is Sasol. Also flat but not as bad as Vaal and Johnson.

I ran Sarens 21km this year and I quite enjoyed it. Could possibly be a good marathon to use.

If you really want to impress everyone then use Deloittes Pretoria marathon as a qualifier [emoji48]

But like Andrew said each to their own

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Do you know when is the Sasol Marathon 2018 ? Can't find anything on google 

How do you guys balance the cycling and the running?

Or is it one of those things that just takes a long time to adapt to

It takes time but can be done.  As running is harder on the body I usually run in the morning and spin in the evening during the week (workouts/speed work), then at weekends try to do the long run on the Saturday with a long cycle on the Sunday, weekend run/cycle are LSD with the Sunday cycle helping to loosen the legs from the Saturday run.

A group of us are planning on doing the Westcliff stairs on the 25th since its a public holiday. Sounds like i'm going to suffer...

Never done them before?

How do you guys balance the cycling and the running?

Or is it one of those things that just takes a long time to adapt to

Hello Ma'am ???? Good to see back here!!

Priorities... problem is there are only 6 days in a week to train on....plus one day off.

If your goal is to run a marathon or Comrades then more focus on running and less cycling.

I find alternating running and cycling days easier instead of trying to run and cycle on the same day. Training both on one day multiple times per week becomes hectic.

So... when is your qualifier ????

Hello Ma'am Good to see back here!!

Priorities... problem is there are only 6 days in a week to train on....plus one day off.

If your goal is to run a marathon or Comrades then more focus on running and less cycling.

I find alternating running and cycling days easier instead of trying to run and cycle on the same day. Training both on one day multiple times per week becomes hectic.

So... when is your qualifier

Hmmm.

Yes the priorities...Currently I'm only doing about 2 hours of running a week.

Qualifier  :ph34r:  not so sure I know what you are talking about.

Nothing planned I'm just trying to get running fit.

Hmmm.

Yes the priorities...Currently I'm only doing about 2 hours of running a week.

Qualifier :ph34r: not so sure I know what you are talking about.

Nothing planned I'm just trying to get running fit.

Comrades qualifier ????

Are u still running in those barefoot thingys?

Do you know when is the Sasol Marathon 2018 ? Can't find anything on google

It is normally the first Saturday in February. So I guess the 3rd of Feb 2018.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comrades qualifier ????

Are u still running in those barefoot thingys?

After my back injury I had to change to something with a bit of a cushion.

Honestly I still prefer the vibrams, I like the feedback response from the ground and the shoes are "fast" and direct.

Currently I using the saucony kinvara shoes.

No , never even heard of them until recently.

They're pretty brutal, for sure, but they must be one of the best bang for buck running workouts you can do. Bruce attributed a lot of his comrades success to those steps.

Edited by Barry Stuart

After my back injury I had to change to something with a bit of a cushion.

Honestly I still prefer the vibrams, I like the feedback response from the ground and the shoes are "fast" and direct.

Currently I using the saucony kinvara shoes.

i remember when he who should not be named  :whistling: got you interested in vibrams and was wondering if you still used them...did not know you had a back injury...hope its ok now

They're pretty brutal, for sure, but they must be one of the best bang for buck running workouts you can do. Bruce attributed a lot of his comrades success to those steps.

Explain please, for us outside the republic of Gauteng?