ScottCM

Well Done ,

Sorry I missed you .

Well done on your PB Iron, actually went looking for your guys Greenstone tent when I saw you had run.

Iron the runner... who would have thought!

Hope to check you around, the races... and this thread here (the busiest on the hub  :lol: )

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, don't get me wrong, I had a very enjoyable run. Jess just took a bit of strain around the same part of the race you did and I'm having to work hard to encourage her to keep her chin up this week but we'll have another crack at PMB and make sure we're in the same batch come June.

I actually loved that Berlin road section because it was great to be able to see the elites coming flying back towards us. Those guys were hauling.

Kim's also very disappointed with her run, but I reminded her we all have bad days and at least her time is 40minutes quicker than her Soweto marathon time last year. Progress is progress and this is very early in Comrades season to read much into anything.

Those Elites seriously fly, always impressive to see!

I guess C Batch isn't all to bad.

Yeah Lexx, I'm looking forward to the day that I will be pissed about a 3:19 marathon!   LOL   Seriously congrats and well done to all you guys, some really nice work here...

Now my final advice question and I guess it is going to take some serious warning to get me from my current crazy idea.

Since my ITB came out again at the end of Sept I took serious steps back, so training wise I am not where I should be for this marathon, not at all!!!.

That is one part of the problem and the smaller problem, I recon one can go far, even underprepared.  The other problem is after doing nothing last week (apart from my damm itb exercises) I went for a 10km stroll on Saturday and from 4/5/6 - 10 the ITB was hell....

My thinking is, pitch up Saturday, qualify come hell or high water and hope I am still able to limp to the car afterwards.   Then whenever I can walk again next week (even if it takes a cortisone injection I guess) I restart all my ITB rehab and exercises and only do the pissy runs as the physio want and stop whenever I feel the ITB.

Then I have from lets say beginning December up until Two Oceans to sort it out (seeing that I could not sort it out from August this year) and hopefully I can get out of it, because I have my qualification now.   

I cannot see how I can sort this out now, and qualify end of January, without it popping its ugly head again during Dec/Jan when the mileage will be a lot to prep for marathons/comrades.

What is the worst that can happen come this weekend with this crazy itb situation, apart from peeing in my pants the whole 40 kays?

Kim's also very disappointed with her run, but I reminded her we all have bad days and at least her time is 40minutes quicker than her Soweto marathon time last year. Progress is progress and this is very early in Comrades season to read much into anything.

Those Elites seriously fly, always impressive to see!

Shame my better half also had a miserable day out - seems to be a trend here...

She also crushed her PB 21km, just over 2 hours (or waaay too fast), then almost a 3 hour second half. She was buckled over on the side of the road numerous times with stomach problems. Crossed the line in 5:01!!

Live and learn hey. Shes taken it in the best way, decent learning curve, and luckily its early in the qualiying season.

Yeah Lexx, I'm looking forward to the day that I will be pissed about a 3:19 marathon!   LOL   Seriously congrats and well done to all you guys, some really nice work here...

Now my final advice question and I guess it is going to take some serious warning to get me from my current crazy idea.

Since my ITB came out again at the end of Sept I took serious steps back, so training wise I am not where I should be for this marathon, not at all!!!.

That is one part of the problem and the smaller problem, I recon one can go far, even underprepared.  The other problem is after doing nothing last week (apart from my damm itb exercises) I went for a 10km stroll on Saturday and from 4/5/6 - 10 the ITB was hell....

My thinking is, pitch up Saturday, qualify come hell or high water and hope I am still able to limp to the car afterwards.   Then whenever I can walk again next week (even if it takes a cortisone injection I guess) I restart all my ITB rehab and exercises and only do the pissy runs as the physio want and stop whenever I feel the ITB.

Then I have from lets say beginning December up until Two Oceans to sort it out (seeing that I could not sort it out from August this year) and hopefully I can get out of it, because I have my qualification now.   

I cannot see how I can sort this out now, and qualify end of January, without it popping its ugly head again during Dec/Jan when the mileage will be a lot to prep for marathons/comrades.

What is the worst that can happen come this weekend with this crazy itb situation, apart from peeing in my pants the whole 40 kays?

Jackes, I can only sympathise... this must all be helluva frustrating.

My 2 cents, this marathon is not very important in the grand scheme of things - being qualified this year would be great, but at the expense of possibly missing December training or dragging these issues into the new year, I really don't think it's a good idea. Get it fixed, and then get going with your prep.

I do also worry that it's not coming right, it should be coming right by now from the sounds of what you have been doing. I remember with mine it was two/three weeks of absolutely no running, lots of bio, glute, stretches, core work and then slow build up again to decent running distances, stopping if I ever felt it getting too tight. You've been at this months, it might be time to get a second opinion from another physio? Maybe it's an alignment issue or something else, because from my experience if it was a muscular imbalance you should be golden by now.

I'm no expert, can only draw on my experiences, but yeah, good luck with whatever you choose to do  :thumbup:

Well done on your PB Iron, actually went looking for your guys Greenstone tent when I saw you had run.

Iron the runner... who would have thought!

Hope to check you around, the races... and this thread here (the busiest on the hub  :lol: )

Will be at more for sure,

We did not take a tent down , we all just waited for our runners to come in about 50m before the bend at the finish.Proud to say that everyone of our member had PB's and qualified .

Our one runner Did a 2h48 ...........

Runners are way nicer than cyclists these days :-)

Jackes, I can only sympathise... this must all be helluva frustrating.

My 2 cents, this marathon is not very important in the grand scheme of things - being qualified this year would be great, but at the expense of possibly missing December training or dragging these issues into the new year, I really don't think it's a good idea. Get it fixed, and then get going with your prep.

Yeah it is not so much only about qualifying now, but also about timing.   I just don't see this issue disappearing and getting ready for a qualifier with that upped mileage in two months (end of Jan) and that's why I thought push it now and then just work towards two oceans (End march, two months more)

Yeah it is not so much only about qualifying now, but also about timing.   I just don't see this issue disappearing and getting ready for a qualifier with that upped mileage in two months (end of Jan) and that's why I thought push it now and then just work towards two oceans (End march, two months more)

I can hear the desperate voice inside your head rationalizing this argument. It sounds like a terrible situation to be in. 

My (very unprofessional) opinion is to skip this race and continue focusing on getting yourself sorted out. I think 4 or 5 hours of torture would take you far far backwards.

Saying this though, I also I know wouldn't listen to my own advice, it's going to take a big commitment to continue to hold back.

post-3664-0-96396600-1509964482_thumb.gif

I feel for you Jackes... with everyone qualifying around you I am sure you feel pressured to do it asap. I feel the same about it, even if I am not injured or struggling with ITB. I am only doing my qualifier in the new year, as I am not nearly fit enough to run a marathon now.

What if you do more damage now and still not qualify?

What is the furthest you have run lately?

Will you be able to run with the pain for 42kms?

Have you done enough training to complete a marathon?

I am sure you have more than enough questions going thru your mind right now. This is a difficult decision 

It doesn't sound like a good plan to me to have a big bang approach.

To second what Hacc has just said. I managed to cock up Soweto last year and Johnson Crane at the beginning of this year due to a combination of my own poor organization and also being a bit of an idiot. When I ran PMB at the end of Feb I was already well into my Comrades training and the race ended up being really enjoyable. There are qualifying races all the way up to the Wally around the 1st of May. Obviously you don't want to really leave it that late but you also don't want to put yourself off running forever with a marathon from the depths of hell (which is the only comparison anyone with ITB can offer me). Take it easy, keep your cardio fitness up, figure out the problem and enjoy your running again. When you're running happy, your speed and results are just a side effect.

Edited by Barry Stuart

I hear you guys...      But if I do skip this and end up in the new year in the same situation, then I sit with the same damage that I might have next week, with two oceans and Comrades 2.5 months nearer?   :(  

Take it easy, keep your cardio fitness up, figure out the problem and enjoy your running again. When you're running happy, your speed and results are just a side effect.

I only have a marathon en of January and a 52 at the end of Feb (which is not the route I want to go 4 weeks from two oceans) to qualify next year, unless I want to drive kms to other qualification races around.

BUT, I guess deep down I know I have to convince myself before Saturday to not go and do this race.

And yes, ever since Comrades, running has NOT been enjoyable AT ALL!  :cursing:    This currently,  is not the no1 reason I started to put on running shoes for!

I only have a marathon en of January and a 52 at the end of Feb (which is not the route I want to go 4 weeks from two oceans) to qualify next year, unless I want to drive kms to other qualification races around.

BUT, I guess deep down I know I have to convince myself before Saturday to not go and do this race.

And yes, ever since Comrades, running has NOT been enjoyable AT ALL!  :cursing:    This currently,  is not the no1 reason I started to put on running shoes for!

I know it’s a between a rock and a hard place situation you are in

BUT

ITB is an over use injury, doing more “over use” ie running a marafun now is not going to help your situation.

It’s time to for a second or third opinion and maybe even consider the snip.....

But definetly No running.... no running..... no running.... no running

Will be at more for sure,

We did not take a tent down , we all just waited for our runners to come in about 50m before the bend at the finish.Proud to say that everyone of our member had PB's and qualified .

Our one runner Did a 2h48 ...........

Runners are way nicer than cyclists these days :-)

Welcome to the hub running club