ScottCM

In what way do u battle?

Well, to be blunt, stomach cramps that lead to dodgy farts that, unchecked, lead to slight follow throughs that, if totally ignored, eventually lead to industrial volume bush turds.

Edited by Barry Stuart

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me about it. I'm only just able to walk now and its more of a shuffle. Sunday and Monday were terrible.

Makes me nervous for Comrades next year.

Well if you're the Travis I saw on the timesheet you earned that shuffle with that blitz of yours  :thumbup:

also remember is as import what you put in the day before to build all reserves .

Carbo load? We don’t eat much carbs. Should I change my diet the week before?

I stopped having milk with my cereal over 20 yrs ago as I found it was giving me excema and switched to water only or occasionally fruit juice.... I use the probiotic to give me a milk flavor.... and apparently it’s good for your tummy.

Basically I have one every day so I just stick to that on race day so as not to change the tummy routine

Have you tried Yakult?

I see Om Die Dam entries are open. I also heard a rumor that it will be in reverse next year, not sure how true this is.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Carbo load? We don’t eat much carbs. Should I change my diet the week before?

Am pre-diabetic so do not eat carbs in general or train on carbs whether cycling, running or for triathlons and only do at races where the intensity/effort is greater.  There is much written that periodic carb intake can be beneficial when you are on a low carb diet and are fat adapted for endurance events such as marathons.

My extent of periodic carbo loading prior to an event will be a pizza/or spaghetti the night before. Race day for cycling races and triathlons I will have a small amount of carbs in my drink mixed with protein (petopro) and that is there just for the replenishing of the glycogen whilst cycling (which can be high intensity at times and it is then that the carbs supplement my glycogen), otherwise i eat protein bars for food rather than energy bars and gu's.  On runs carbs I do not take, just water as it is low intensity and my body is fat adapted to draw energy from my fat stores rather than the glycogen.

If you eat minimal carbs then it is likely your body is already fat adapted during your training and long runs.

Personally I would not change your diet if you have not experimented or practiced to see the effect on your long runs.

Stick to what you know and what you currently eat.

Am pre-diabetic so do not eat carbs in general or train on carbs whether cycling, running or for triathlons and only do at races where the intensity/effort is greater. There is much written that periodic carb intake can be beneficial when you are on a low carb diet and are fat adapted for endurance events such as marathons.

My extent of periodic carbo loading prior to an event will be a pizza/or spaghetti the night before. Race day for cycling races and triathlons I will have a small amount of carbs in my drink mixed with protein (petopro) and that is there just for the replenishing of the glycogen whilst cycling (which can be high intensity at times and it is then that the carbs supplement my glycogen), otherwise i eat protein bars for food rather than energy bars and gu's. On runs carbs I do not take, just water as it is low intensity and my body is fat adapted to draw energy from my fat stores rather than the glycogen.

If you eat minimal carbs then it is likely your body is already fat adapted during your training and long runs.

Personally I would not change your diet if you have not experimented or practiced to see the effect on your long runs.

Stick to what you know and what you currently eat.

Thats what I was thinking. I’ve never done a marathon so all of this is rather intimidating to me. I just want to finish. I will finish but I don’t want to be half dead at the end.

Thats what I was thinking. I’ve never done a marathon so all of this is rather intimidating to me. I just want to finish. I will finish but I don’t want to be half dead at the end.

You have done your long runs with your nutrition, so stick with what you have trained on. Just enjoy the run!

I do remember how anxious I was before my first marathon, researching every single web page, trying to remember the calorie per hour totals, replenishment rates, etc.

But I've since learnt that, at our level, it's not rocket science. Eat your usual breakfast and once you're running, take water at regular intervals and consume a little bit of whatever you're familiar with every 10 kays or so. Don't let the stress of all the calorie counting get in the way of the run.

We've all got plenty of time and money to waste further down the line experimenting with techniques, food and kit to try and shave minutes off our PBs. That probably accounts for half the hobby in the months between races.

but I don’t want to be half dead at the end.

This is half the fun! 

Edit: then vowing never to do it again, followed shortly by planning your next..

Edited by CBlake

This is half the fun!

Edit: then vowing never to do it again, followed shortly by planning your next..

Hahahaha! Always happens...

This is half the fun! 

In my case, you lay on the grass wonder how the heck you're ever going to be able to get up from the grass again. And vowing never again.

Then convincing yourself it's okay, you can get vertical. Then you start a slow shuffle. You realise it and try to walk normal. You fail miserably. 

Halfway back to the car you start realising that you're actually walking normal. Well, semi normal. It wasn't that bad. 

On the drive back you start thinking I could have gone harder there and there, but good thing I did not go hard at that (another) point.

I wonder when entries open for...  :whistling:

Interesting all this talk of IM and 70.3... since I just made contact with a potential swimming coach this morning. I run a bit and I ride a bit. I swim like a rock. 

The plan was 70.3 in 2019. I am postponing it to 2020.

I also found a swimming coach in Fourways, obviously, I can swim, but swimming in open water is a different story. 

My biggest obstacle at the moment is time. I still don't know how some people do it with a full-time job etc. I will have to cut down on my working hours, that is going to be an interesting discussion with the bosses...