ScottCM

My top 3 for 2018:

1) Camille Herron

2) Anne Ashworth

3) Gerda Steyn

Interesting prediction. Ann's best position and time (7h07) was 13th at the 2016 down run. 2017 was a DNF. As she hails from my home town of Howick I'm certainly hoping she has a great race! Her new ladies Massmart team has had some brilliant results already.

I think Gerda Steyn is a great call.

Danette Smith had a superb debut last year so she could be one to watch for a high position.

Edited by b-rad

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing that it so quiet on here. Hows this, over the weekend Comrades winner Camille Herron ran a 100mile race in 12h42. At a modest pace of 4:45/km. In the process beating the first man by 30mins. I guess she qualified for Comrades?

:eek:

dafaque

Just do 10k in that sand, and you dont need to worry about elevation.

Your post was post number 6000,  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Quiet day so far so here is my Conspiracy theorist at work!

Do you guys think the reason events such as Soweto, Om die Dam , JC, Comrades, OMTOM etc all close their entry dates so early is to that once people realise they are ill prepared or injured that the organisers receive a third (First being entry fee, Second being interest from the bank on our entry fees) source of income deliberately? 

Or alternatively... ja, I'm biting!... that the entries are being bought up in masses by people who want to make personal gain through this.

I've heard on a run the other morning from one of the peeps in the group that they've heard rumours that OMTOM entries are being (illegally, obviously) sold at 2k!

Because there is none left. New market created. I expect the same might be/would have happened with Comrades entries.

Quiet day so far so here is my Conspiracy theorist at work!

Do you guys think the reason events such as Soweto, Om die Dam , JC, Comrades, OMTOM etc all close their entry dates so early is to that once people realise they are ill prepared or injured that the organisers receive a third (First being entry fee, Second being interest from the bank on our entry fees) source of income deliberately? 

I know for other events it is done for more practical reasons, like ordering finisher shirts, catering for numbers for things like toilets, medics, feed tables, parking, etc etc...

Interesting prediction. Ann's best position and time (7h07) was 13th at the 2016 down run. 2017 was a DNF. As she hails from my home town of Howick I'm certainly hoping she has a great race! Her new ladies Massmart team has had some brilliant results already.

I think Gerda Steyn is a great call.

Danette Smith had a superb debut last year so she could be one to watch for a high position.

Ja, Ann had a hammy strain within the first couple of Kays and pulled out at this year's event. To her credit she immediately joined her club's seconding tents to help out on the route. I think she would have been on for a top 10 but I reckon her ambitions are even higher for next year and she's got some serious focus. Looking at the times and paces she's posting and her strength over the ultras, I think she's got a good shot at a podium. Gerda's form and her speed are phenomenal. I'll look out for Danette as well then, I don't know much about her but I'll keep an eye open.

Seriously WTF, averaging 4:45 / km over 160kms?? Camille has some serious talent.

I truly hope Caroline is on the heal. She has been very quiet. 

PS. So who is doing the "non-running" activity on Sunday?

So I finally got a response back from OMTOM. I phoned our club manager and he says that the 21km must be verified by tomorrow and there is still time for the 56. Does anyone know what is going on with the "club verification" step?

Hi there

I do confirm you have paid for your 2018 ultra entry, but you need to contact your club manager to validated/accept that you belong to the club, if your club manager needs assistant
in club verification they should contact shaunr@twooceansmarathon.org.za or call 0877420210/0877405260 for more information on club verification. Note that the club verification is closing tomorrow at 5pm.

Kind Regards,

Grace Pambana
Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon

So I finally got a response back from OMTOM. I phoned our club manager and he says that the 21km must be verified by tomorrow and there is still time for the 56. Does anyone know what is going on with the "club verification" step?

Hi there

I do confirm you have paid for your 2018 ultra entry, but you need to contact your club manager to validated/accept that you belong to the club, if your club manager needs assistant

in club verification they should contact shaunr@twooceansmarathon.org.za or call 0877420210/0877405260 for more information on club verification. Note that the club verification is closing tomorrow at 5pm.

Kind Regards,

Grace Pambana

Yip our club also send out an email with all the names of the guys that entered and had to verify that they run for Nedbank. Weird..

Hi there

Kind Regards,

Grace Pambana

Thanks for this... mine also not done yet. I've given the club a kick up the proverbial.

Thanks for this... mine also not done yet. I've given the club a kick up the proverbial.

I spoke to our club manager. Apparently, the 56km entrants' club details must only be verified by Feb 2018. It is only the 21km that must be verified by tomorrow. I guess Grace Pambana is reading too much Zim news at the moment and not doing her job properly. 

I cant seem to find my rhythm after Kaapsehoop race. Legs are still dead tired. Cant believe I have to take short walking breaks on a 10km run. Taking a rest day today. Hopefully I feel better by Saturday Morning.