ScottCM

Thanks for the reply Ed-Zulu.

You got a good point. Strangely I don't struggle to run far (well, 6km - moderately far for me) and my pace is not that slow too. So in terms of running, I can complete each run without blowing out to stop and catch my breath.

It is just my calves that are killing me afterwards.

But I will start a little bit easier this week. Will do 2km each day, rather than my normal +4km runs.

EDIT: I stretch after each run too. 

Also try add some of these to your weekly routine - been a great help for me (when I do them regularly  :blush: )

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope not a marathon for me...maybe one day..I have aspirations to run 2 Oceans Ultra for my 50 (which is next year, so maybe I better "man up")

Still chasing that elusive sub 2 for a 21km. Did 2:03. Strange thing is, I will happily consider running a long trail run and do a 2 day trail run event, but must admit that 42km on tar turns me into a "chicken" :blush:.

Looking at your Strava, you had a strong run for that 2:03 and a great finish after those hills. Sub 2 must be just around the corner, Candz.

I had the op more than 15 years ago.

By that time it was diagnosed, I didnt worry about running again or not.

I just wanted to be able to walk without pain.

Did you do your marathon this last weekend or is it coming up still?

hi, some advice please.  I do a lot of walking during the day, I try and do some cycling and running as time allows.  The last week or two my Achilles goes stiff as hell after a run.  I do some stretching and have tried a rest for a couple of days without running, but it does not seem to go away.  any advice will be appreciated.

thx

hi, some advice please.  I do a lot of walking during the day, I try and do some cycling and running as time allows.  The last week or two my Achilles goes stiff as hell after a run.  I do some stretching and have tried a rest for a couple of days without running, but it does not seem to go away.  any advice will be appreciated.

thx

You could always raise your heels a little bit by putting in a gel wrapper or small piece of plastic between the shoe and the shoe inner.

But do both shoes and not just one

You could always raise your heels a little bit by putting in a gel wrapper or small piece of plastic between the shoe and the shoe inner.

But do both shoes and not just one

thx Carpet will give it a try.

I try and cycle at least once during the week and on weekends to keep the achilles "long"/ supple..however you want to describe it.

Also see the calf raiser excises that Andrew posted one page back..they brilliant.

Stepping it back a bit will definitely help... almost everyone who goes from cycling to running struggles with holding back. You're fit, your legs are strong, you feel like you can just go out and run... but the crucial thing you are not - is conditioned to pounding away on a road. That takes months to get right and it's frustrating and slow, but the other option is getting going and then getting injured which is equally frustrating.

You need to build up stablizer muscles, strengthen your feet and joints, ligaments, bones, probably do some correcting of muscle imbalances etc etc

Start slow and build from there, it's worth the wait  :thumbup: 

PS: Good shoes (the right shoes) is also a great start... see a professional shoe store for fitment

Thanks Andrew, you hit the nail on the head with your reply.

I started to follow a training plan on FitTrack. A 10-week running plan (beginner) and give it a go.

I want to do running as a cross-training with my cycling. So nothing competitively or such. Might want to do a park run or two once a month.

And hopefully, on my easy jogging days, my dad can join me for the session. Would be a good thing so that my dad can get his exercise in.

Won't a (temp) heel lift actually aggravates the shortening / stiffening of the Achilles?

Yes its counterproductive, and probably wont even work when your Achilles issues progressed far enough. You need to do eccentric calve raises to strengthen and lengthen your Achilles.

Its seems that my Achilles issues started because over the last 2/3 months I ran 90% in a 12mm road shoe. Before that I ran mostly in trail shoes of 6mm and 8mm.

Thanks Andrew, you hit the nail on the head with your reply.

I started to follow a training plan on FitTrack. A 10-week running plan (beginner) and give it a go.

I want to do running as a cross-training with my cycling. So nothing competitively or such. Might want to do a park run or two once a month.

And hopefully, on my easy jogging days, my dad can join me for the session. Would be a good thing so that my dad can get his exercise in.

Ja, that's what I thought too... "Just to stay fit during winter for W2W." Just a quick jog around the block in the evenings, since it's taking up less time and safer than riding in the dark...  :whistling:

At least I did ride my bike a bit towards the end of last year again! And this year starting swimming to expand the horizons a bit more. 

Ja, that's what I thought too... "Just to stay fit during winter for W2W." Just a quick jog around the block in the evenings, since it's taking up less time and safer than riding in the dark...  :whistling:

At least I did ride my bike a bit towards the end of last year again! And this year starting swimming to expand the horizons a bit more. 

Luckily my winter training is not an issue. I have an awesome group that I will be joining for the winter month to keep my fitness top notch.

Exactly, I really love my cycling, but sometimes the running is easier to squeeze in. But I am grateful for living in a relatively safe neighbourhood so sometimes I do night rides in my area. Also, the other plus point of running is a few of my friends don't cycle and runs. So now I can join them from time-to-time for a session to catch up.

I would really like to do the Xterra next year. I would just need to work on my swimming because I cannot swim to save my life...

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Me too, I thought I can get some good training in during the week by running for an hour a day instead of the indoor bike trainer or spin class... 4 years later and I run more kilometers in the year that what I cycle...

PS. The next question you need to figure out for yourself because everyone asks it: "So, which one do you prefer, cycling or running?" 

Edited by Hacc

Haha, That's me...

Nah the plan was always a 3h10 Training Run.. We went through halfway in 93.40 and then gradually picked it up..

We were never clock watching or particularly chasing Sub3 until the last km and then even a 3.35 last km wasn't enough.

Love that route and race.. best tester in JHB to get you ready for Two Oceans.

Dude... Where you were this time last year (roughly) this is an incredible run. I have the utmost respect and admiration for you